Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:13:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 1189 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer - MtGoxUSD wall movement tracker  (Read 1811506 times)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 08:18:30 AM

I switched to short/mid term bear recently but that has now changed. I feel very bullish mainly thanks to the recent European Central Bank report and also some other smaller stuff such as the MMOExchange/Ogrr merger that finally happened and Bitcoin Friday which I think will be a fairly big event also.

I wish some news came regarding the BitInstant Debit card but other than that I'm feeling bullish.
and + Coinbase links Bitcoin to Your Bank Account is a nice service to

what's bitcoin friday

You don't want to know.
Seriously.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kneim
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 10:19:13 AM

I switched to short/mid term bear recently but that has now changed. I feel very bullish mainly thanks to the recent European Central Bank report and also some other smaller stuff such as the MMOExchange/Ogrr merger that finally happened and Bitcoin Friday which I think will be a fairly big event also.

I wish some news came regarding the BitInstant Debit card but other than that I'm feeling bullish.

what's bitcoin friday

You don't want to know.
Seriously.
I want to know also, seriously.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 10:21:12 AM

what's bitcoin friday

You don't want to know.
Seriously.
I want to know also, seriously.

a bunch of businesses get together and spread awareness

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 10:34:35 AM
Last edit: October 30, 2012, 10:49:12 AM by ElectricMucus

You can call it that, I rather find it embarrassing Embarrassed

It's rather some "me too" kinda listingannouncement of "you'll see". The list of vendors is rather pathetic and there is zero back ground info. If they'd really want to spread awareness they'd organize an event and tell what to expect.
Of course that would cost prior investment, something essentially unheard of around here.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 10:47:23 AM

It's rather some "me too" kinda listingannouncement of "you'll see". The list of vendors is rather pathetic and there is zero back ground info. If they'd really want to spread awareness they'd organize an event and tell what to expect.

Hey, isn't any publicity good publicity?
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 10:48:24 AM

Btc-e is down. They say hurricane sandy is to blame. Ugh

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40889.msg1306658#msg1306658
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 11:21:39 AM

I find that too small to have a significant influence on the exchange rate.
If anything, the money2000 presentation was big! A *lot* of people with a *lot* of money hearing about Bitcoin there. If anything has an influence on the exchange rate, then this.

The things you list are great for the Bitcoin economy and its future, no question. It's just that exchange, trading, speculation is pretty much decopled from that..

I don't understand your sentiment.
I like Bitcoin Friday. We can argue how effective it will be, but I don't see anything negative at all.

http://bitcoinfriday.com/
http://www.americanbanker.com/issues/177_209/bitcoin-merchants-plan-own-version-of-black-friday-1053951-1.html

Of course that would cost prior investment, something essentially unheard of around here.

lolwut?

Ente
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 12:50:00 PM

I feel the ECB report is one of the most significant news for Bitcoin ever. It's creating a lot of buzz everywhere today, it even made it to some mainstream Finnish news sites which is very rare for Bitcoin related news. The legitimacy of Bitcoin in general got a massive boost thanks to the report. I rarely get the "buy while it's cheap" feeling but this is one of those times.

Bitcoin Friday is something that will likely get much bigger as we get closer. The site currently only has around 25 merchants but I know for a fact that there are a lot more coming. The guy who organizes it is a bit slow at updating the site but I think there will be a big update soon. We signed up a while ago but we aren't at the site yet.

The effect of something like Money 2020 can't be seen right now. It could have a huge indirect effect in the future but I doubt it has much if any effect right now. Most of the players there are too big for Bitcoin. They are mostly companies run by lawyers and Bitcoin is a large grey area as far as law and regulation is concerned. I don't expect anything big from big companies in relation to Bitcoin at this time. Maybe in a few years.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 01:52:58 PM

I feel the ECB report is one of the most significant news for Bitcoin ever. It's creating a lot of buzz everywhere today, it even made it to some mainstream Finnish news sites which is very rare for Bitcoin related news. The legitimacy of Bitcoin in general got a massive boost thanks to the report. I rarely get the "buy while it's cheap" feeling but this is one of those times.

Here was an interesting quote I read:

In an extreme case, virtual currencies could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted. The increase in the use of virtual money might lead to a decrease in the use of “real” money, thereby also reducing the cash needed to conduct the transactions generated by nominal income. In this regard, a widespread substitution of central bank money by privately issued virtual currency could significantly reduce the size of central banks’ balance sheets, and thus also their ability to influence the short-term interest rates. Central banks would need to look at their existing tools to deal with this risk (for instance, trying to impose minimum reserve requirements on virtual currency schemes).
steamboat

Activity: 648

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 02:02:26 PM

In an extreme case, virtual currencies could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted. The increase in the use of virtual money might lead to a decrease in the use of “real” money, thereby also reducing the cash needed to conduct the transactions generated by nominal income. In this regard, a widespread substitution of central bank money by privately issued virtual currency could significantly reduce the size of central banks’ balance sheets, and thus also their ability to influence the short-term interest rates. Central banks would need to look at their existing tools to deal with this risk (for instance, trying to impose minimum reserve requirements on virtual currency schemes).

and who would they impose those requirements on?  Grin

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 02:05:36 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2012, 02:49:43 PM by vokain

and who would they impose those requirements on?  Grin

I interpreted that as they'll have reserve requirements on holding virtual currencies as that'll be the only way they'll be able to hedge against virtual currencies taking over as a matter of survival.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 03:20:30 PM

and who would they impose those requirements on?  Grin

It is on this very point that the ECB report makes a crucial error by attempting the generalize between Linden Dollars and Bitcoin. Linden Dollars are in reality a private form of fiat currency that operates in the same fashion as CAD USD or EUR, but with Linden Labs acting as the central bank. As such it should have minimum "foreign" currency reserves including gold (or Bitcoin?), as any other government fiat currency. Bitcoin acts in this respect like gold or silver, so minimum reserve requirements make no sense, a point that the report completely missed.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 04:38:19 PM

No bad news? I think that bitinstant being down for two days and MT. Gox having issues with deposits and  WD's with all of Europe (Bank of France).. Then it tanks? I expected it to tank after noticing those two events...

AR

If your dumping your coins because of events like the ones listed above.... your doing it wrong!  Cheesy

bitinstant being down for two days  ( when did this happen Huh ), is not a big deal
MT. Gox having issues with deposits, is nothing new & not hard to get around...

The only time I sell coins is when I have to.  But, When I read that Mt. gox was having major issues with their European system, I had a really weird feeling that it would affect the bitcoin, I know of many newb Bitcoiners in Europe that don't know what to do. Sure enough, the bitcoin started to tank not too long after their announcement.  Then I  heard that bitinstant was down for 2 days. Those two events were the only events that I heard that i felt could effect the bitcoin..It dropped from high 11's to  9.60 or something. Then after bitinsant came back, the coin shot up to the mid 10's and thats were we are at.. Maybe it's a coincidence, but If it is, It sure is a ironic one.

I'm on the bullish side of bitcoin. I still don't think that the reward halving has made its full impact yet. Maybe a little, but I think that it will rise soon after the halving, once the reality sinks in and the bitcoin economy sees less coins sold. I know that I will be keeping the grand majority of my bitcoins once the asics arrive. Ill only sell enough to pay expenses. I have a feeling that a lot of bigger miners feel the same way. Will that effect the price? I guess we will find out...

AR
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 04:53:05 PM

No bad news? I think that bitinstant being down for two days and MT. Gox having issues with deposits and  WD's with all of Europe (Bank of France).. Then it tanks? I expected it to tank after noticing those two events...

AR

If your dumping your coins because of events like the ones listed above.... your doing it wrong!  Cheesy

bitinstant being down for two days  ( when did this happen Huh ), is not a big deal

The only time I sell coins is when I have to.  But, When I read that Mt. gox was having major issues with their European system, I had a really weird feeling that it would affect the bitcoin, I know of many newb Bitcoiners in Europe that don't know what to do. Sure enough, the bitcoin started to tank not too long after their announcement.  Then I  heard that bitinstant was down for 2 days. Those two events were the only events that I heard that i felt could effect the bitcoin..It dropped from high 11's to  9.60 or something. Then after bitinsant came back, the coin shot up to the mid 10's and thats were we are at.. Maybe it's a coincidence, but If it is, It sure is a ironic one.

I'm on the bullish side of bitcoin. I still don't think that the reward halving has made its full impact yet. Maybe a little, but I think that it will rise soon after the halving, once the reality sinks in and the bitcoin economy sees less coins sold. I know that I will be keeping the grand majority of my bitcoins once the asics arrive. Ill only sell enough to pay expenses. I have a feeling that a lot of bigger miners feel the same way. Will that effect the price? I guess we will find out...

AR

A lot of people think the next couple of months are going to be very interesting.

but i think the last couple months of trading has been mostly trying to factor in the reward drop & effect of ASCI, everyone knows these events are coming so the market tries to price it in b4 it happens.

I think its more or less priced in by now. the wild price swings are over, and now the never ending bull run can continue  Wink 

steamboat

Activity: 648

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:22:20 PM

AR

AR

A lot of people think the next couple of months are going to be very interesting.

but i think the last couple months of trading has been mostly trying to factor in the reward drop & effect of ASCI, everyone knows these events are coming so the market tries to price it in b4 it happens.

I think its more or less priced in by now. the wild price swings are over, and now the never ending bull run can continue  Wink 

That would be nice as I'm 80% bull atm, but I'm betting we experience at least another 2-6 months of large swings before things settle down. I think the ramp up of ASIC deliveries won't reach full potential until Feb/March at the earliest, and people will start hedging their bet and hoarding once they notice their ROI stretch into years.

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
Yuhfhrh

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 10:33:51 PM

Another fake bid? He might have meant that to be an ask lol

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2012, 12:14:38 AM

Yuhfhrh hit the buy button  Wink

robocoin

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 12:41:11 AM

I am not a good bear. I think I totally missed it Embarrassed. I can even wait for the next "weekend".
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2012, 02:23:17 AM

I am not a good bear. I think I totally missed it Embarrassed. I can even wait for the next "weekend".

yup your fucked   Lips sealed

10.xx is going bye bye!

I know the bid depth isn't very bullish, but we got some big players competing and they are now making the call!

BUY  BUY  BUY!

WE ARE ALL GOING TO BE MILLIONARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

*does a little dance*

Yuhfhrh

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 03:09:55 AM

Yuhfhrh hit the buy button  Wink
I sold at $10.95, I don't think $11 will hold up at all.
Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 1189 »
  Print  

Jump to: