Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:11:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 [672] 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 ... 1189 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer - MtGoxUSD wall movement tracker  (Read 1811506 times)
ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:25:18 PM

EDIT: NVM- rally back on track. Good move.
what is NVM?
do you mean NVC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:45:17 PM

I don't think anything is fixed. The current handling of the issue just bought some time. The main problem of too small blocksize remains and will have to be resolved. Now we know it's not possible to even lift the soft limit of 256KB without a hard fork. But this limit would need lifting right now, because transactions are starting to get stuck. So the real hard fork is just about to come up in the next few days. (Either because the old clients need a change to handle the larger blocks, or everyone will be forced to use 0.8+. Well okay, there's the third possibility of a really congested bitcoin-network.)

To quote Mike Hearn:

Rolling back to the smaller blocks simply puts us out of the frying pan and back into the fire.

Nonsense, of course. Now we know that the transition between versions should be done slightly differently. That is really all we know now.

The blocksize issue is quite trivial to resolve, as long as everyone is on the same page. But don't let me stand in the way of your desire for lower prices  Grin

All you know != all that is known. The blocksize issue is not entirely trivial.

We're now back to the old 250KB cap on blocks. There are more transactions than there is room to verify so we either get a congestion of unconfirmed transactions, or an escalation of fees. (In practice, both.)

Importantly, If you don't pay a fee, your transaction won't confirm, and your money is lost until you "double spend" the money with a fee, which is possible in the protocol, but not supported by the clients. Or a "good-samaritan" pool picks it up for free. I have had the displeasure of "losing" a transaction to this problem. It was not fun, and the mistake cost me a good bit of time and money.

Make sure to pay a fee on every transaction going forward.

I suppose you forgot already why this thread started - we ran out of block space and transactions started stacking up, unconfirmed. This almost immediately caused lots of user complaints.

Exactly because people did NOT upgrade to Bitcoin 0.8 fast enough, which fixed the bug in 0.7 and below, now we are now back to square one - stuck with blocks that are too small to meet demand for transactions. Expect the complaints to start again soon unless filtering of SD becomes common.

The options I listed in my first post are still the only options. If you don't want to filter out SD transactions then the default "do nothing" option means that transactions will become very expensive, and small quantities of Bitcoin won't be spendable at all.

The fork is certainly a big problem: unfortunately, nobody realized it would happen. It's not even clear yet what kind of testing would have revealed this issue. Simply making big blocks is apparently not enough to trigger it. That said, we knew that BDB was generally a rats nest of weird problems which is one reason why I ported Bitcoin to LevelDB. If the block sizes had been raised a few months from now, we'd probably have just abandoned the 0.7 users to their fate, but we got unlucky with the timing.

Assuming we want Bitcoin to scale up, we'll have to fork 0.7 and lower off the chain sooner rather than later and then raise the block size limits again.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:53:17 PM

I don't think anything is fixed. The current handling of the issue just bought some time. The main problem of too small blocksize remains and will have to be resolved. Now we know it's not possible to even lift the soft limit of 256KB without a hard fork. But this limit would need lifting right now, because transactions are starting to get stuck. So the real hard fork is just about to come up in the next few days. (Either because the old clients need a change to handle the larger blocks, or everyone will be forced to use 0.8+. Well okay, there's the third possibility of a really congested bitcoin-network.)

To quote Mike Hearn:

Rolling back to the smaller blocks simply puts us out of the frying pan and back into the fire.

Nonsense, of course. Now we know that the transition between versions should be done slightly differently. That is really all we know now.

The blocksize issue is quite trivial to resolve, as long as everyone is on the same page. But don't let me stand in the way of your desire for lower prices  Grin

We're now back to the old 250KB cap on blocks. There are more transactions than there is room to verify so we either get a congestion of unconfirmed transactions, or an escalation of fees. (In practice, both.)

Importantly, If you don't pay a fee, your transaction won't confirm, and your money is lost until you "double spend" the money with a fee, which is possible in the protocol, but not supported by the clients. Or a "good-samaritan" pool picks it up for free. I have had the displeasure of "losing" a transaction to this problem. It was not fun, and the mistake cost me a good bit of time and money.

I suppose you forgot already why this thread started - we ran out of block space and transactions started stacking up, unconfirmed. This almost immediately caused lots of user complaints.

Exactly because people did NOT upgrade to Bitcoin 0.8 fast enough, which fixed the bug in 0.7 and below, now we are now back to square one - stuck with blocks that are too small to meet demand for transactions. Expect the complaints to start again soon unless filtering of SD becomes common.

The options I listed in my first post are still the only options. If you don't want to filter out SD transactions then the default "do nothing" option means that transactions will become very expensive, and small quantities of Bitcoin won't be spendable at all.

The fork is certainly a big problem: unfortunately, nobody realized it would happen. It's not even clear yet what kind of testing would have revealed this issue. Simply making big blocks is apparently not enough to trigger it. That said, we knew that BDB was generally a rats nest of weird problems which is one reason why I ported Bitcoin to LevelDB. If the block sizes had been raised a few months from now, we'd probably have just abandoned the 0.7 users to their fate, but we got unlucky with the timing.

Assuming we want Bitcoin to scale up, we'll have to fork 0.7 and lower off the chain sooner rather than later and then raise the block size limits again.

Well, so then people have to pay for transactions I guess.

more or less retired.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:57:03 PM

I don't think anything is fixed.

The network is resilient, though. Gotta give it that.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:58:22 PM

To quote Mike Hearn:

Well, so then people have to pay for transactions I guess.

Not even, everyone just has to agree to switch to 0.8, or, more likely, the upcoming 0.8.1. Once the majority of miners have switched over, the 250k limit will be lifted. But again, let's not get in the way of gold old FUD.
Hauk

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:09:17 PM

We pay a small fee, or just kill off s.dice until we can get a better fix.

A small fee will more or less kill off 90% of s.dice transactions anyway.

s.dice pays fees from what I've heard.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 03:12:21 PM

There has been far less FUD than I anticipated. Bitcoin faced a serious bug and faced it successfully. It was handled as professionally as efficiently as it could've been handled under the circumstances. The net effect for me is that I have increased trust in Bitcoin now. Bugs are always a possibility in any software project, even if it is serious and well tested software.

Not sure how the average Bitcoiner will react but I'm starting to think the effect of this won't be so massively negative as I thought at first. I was panicking for a while like many others, but the situation is much clearer now.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:14:32 PM

There has been far less FUD than I anticipated. Bitcoin faced a serious bug and faced it successfully. It was handled as professionally as efficiently as it could've been handled under the circumstances. The net effect for me is that I have increased trust in Bitcoin now. Bugs are always a possibility in any software project, even if it is serious and well tested software.

Not sure how the average Bitcoiner will react but I'm starting to think the effect of this won't be so massively negative as I thought at first. I was panicking for a while like many others, but the situation is much clearer now.

I agree... next time you panic, though, do it inwardly  Grin
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 03:42:02 PM

+1 Hear hear and cheers!

Also, another benefit may turn out to be "real" increases in price.  I mean by this that the price will go up and actually bring buy volume with it instead of having the price bounce around an entire $1 range.  The sort-of reset the incident caused yesterday may improve this an, thus, increase demand.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Morblias

Activity: 576

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:13:36 PM

I  agree. It was handled exceptionally well. Just look at banks when they have software problems: http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3372424/rbs-woes-continue-as-fresh-it-glitches-hit-natwest/http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3372424/rbs-woes-continue-as-fresh-it-glitches-hit-natwest/

TL;DR: Banks are down for months from software problems, Bitcoin was resolved in hours.

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:25:02 PM

I mean by this that the price will go up and actually bring buy volume with it instead of having the price bounce around an entire $1 range.

Not real enough buy volume to you ?

btw, we already beat the daily record volume today

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:36:03 PM

I mean by this that the price will go up and actually bring buy volume with it instead of having the price bounce around an entire $1 range.

Not real enough buy volume to you ?

btw, we already beat the daily record volume today

Sorry, what I meant was that the buy orders would start at $47 and not really gain any depth until $46 somewhere while the sells were at $48 or so.  This caused huge price swings anytime more than 5 BTC at a time were moved.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Gatekeeper

Activity: 358

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:39:20 PM

I  agree. It was handled exceptionally well. Just look at banks when they have software problems: http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3372424/rbs-woes-continue-as-fresh-it-glitches-hit-natwest/http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3372424/rbs-woes-continue-as-fresh-it-glitches-hit-natwest/

TL;DR: Banks are down for months from software problems, Bitcoin was resolved in hours.

I thought about the exact same thing, when the "software update" went wrong, RBS were screwed for more than a couple of weeks

(1470) <KLYE> But I was far too drunk to fuck a midget
(1470) <KLYE> I will fuck a chicken for 250 btc
BitcoinTate

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:51:39 PM

Lol! Max Keiser is hilarious! Watch his video interview http://maxkeiser.com/ "Bitcoin Millionare vs Paper Millionare".... skip forward to 7:47 "The clouds are opening up for Satoshi... cyber christ.... christ is back and he has got bitcoin" LMFAO!

- aka The "DigiMan"
Gatekeeper

Activity: 358

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 05:03:27 PM

Lol! Max Keiser is hilarious! Watch his video interview http://maxkeiser.com/ "Bitcoin Millionare vs Paper Millionare".... skip forward to 7:47 "The clouds are opening up for Satoshi... cyber christ.... christ is back and he has got bitcoin" LMFAO!

LOL, thanks for that, the guys great Cheesy

10min 40 is also great

i love the guy lmao

(1470) <KLYE> But I was far too drunk to fuck a midget
(1470) <KLYE> I will fuck a chicken for 250 btc
thefiniteidea

Activity: 509
Merit: 564

"In Us We Trust"

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 05:04:46 PM

Absolutely hilarious! I clipped that segment yesterday and put it in this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=151820.0

Original Clip (19 seconds):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=xnnOtdOcOFk
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 06:27:53 PM

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 06:34:17 PM

If you kill S.DICE, you will kill bitcoin. S.DICE has attracted many new and wealthy users to bitcoin. We don't have much else in bitcoin economy (just miners and hoarders speculators).
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826

rippleFanatic

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 06:59:47 PM

If you kill S.DICE, you will kill bitcoin. S.DICE has attracted many new and wealthy users to bitcoin. We don't have much else in bitcoin economy (just miners and hoarders speculators).

Bull. Various company/stock "share" scams are not the bitcoin economy. That's just what the pirate investor and pass-through operators wanted people to believe. GLBSE is now gone and was barely a blip. I would be extremely careful with S.DICE and other "shares". IMO, shares are worth about as much as the paper you could print them on.

Hoarding, speculating, and operating services are the main activities which add value to the bitcoin economy. But every attempt so far to do deposits-for-interest has resulted in either lost or stolen coins.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 07:13:46 PM

Bull. Various company/stock "share" scams are not the bitcoin economy. That's just what the pirate investor and pass-through operators wanted people to believe. GLBSE is now gone and was barely a blip. I would be extremely careful with S.DICE and other "shares". IMO, shares are worth about as much as the paper you could print them on.

Hoarding, speculating, and operating services are the main activities which add value to the bitcoin economy. But every attempt so far to do deposits-for-interest has resulted in either lost or stolen coins.

I'm not talking about any shares  Wink I'm talking about gambling industry that is a important part of bitcoin economy. Lots of people are playing Satoshi Dice and gambling industry as a whole is interested in bitcoin thanks to S.DICE. If some people want to kill Satoshi Dice because bitcoin is unable to cope with high transaction volumes than bitcoin has no future as a currency; it's technically inapt.
Pages: « 1 ... 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 [672] 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 ... 1189 »
  Print  

Jump to: