Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:21:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 [732] 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 ... 1189 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer - MtGoxUSD wall movement tracker  (Read 1811506 times)
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:26:10 AM

Remember a few hours ago when we dipped to $63 all the bears were like Muw-ahahha and all the calves were like oh nooooo.

Those were good times.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:44:26 AM

Remember a few hours ago when we dipped to $63 all the bears were like Muw-ahahha and all the calves were like oh nooooo.

Those were good times.
L-o-l
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:47:38 AM

I owed $15 to this girl I am hooking up with, and she was excited to get 0.3 bitcoins instead! She said she was gonna use it to pay for her kids to go to college (mostly jokingly lol)

This must mean we are in a bubble  Cheesy

ok, that's almost as bad as that investor who, in 1929, was getting his shoes shined and the fricken SHOE SHINE BOY was talking about stocks and such. guy went and pulled his investments immediately. crashed happened the next day or something. i forget who this was. one of the big names.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
mccorvic

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:54:27 AM

I owed $15 to this girl I am hooking up with, and she was excited to get 0.3 bitcoins instead! She said she was gonna use it to pay for her kids to go to college (mostly jokingly lol)

ok, that's almost as bad as that investor who, in 1929, was getting his shoes shined and the fricken SHOE SHINE BOY was talking about stocks and such. guy went and pulled his investments immediately. crashed happened the next day or something. i forget who this was. one of the big names.

I don't think the analogy works with bitcoin.  Our goal has been to push adoption in order to push main stream acceptance and usage.  I find it strange that all of a sudden we are trying to act shocked, SHOCKED, that people we talk to about bitcoin continuously start to show interest in bitcoins.

People talking about bitcoin is not a sign of a bubble. People being interested in bitcoin is not a sign of a bubble.  It's a sign that bitcoin is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 04:57:15 AM

Buy 49765.06 BTC for 16,401,907,642,068.86 USD

that's right bitches Cool

Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 04:59:19 AM

Jesse Livermore?
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:05:02 AM

I don't think the analogy works with bitcoin.  Our goal has been to push adoption in order to push main stream acceptance and usage.  I find it strange that all of a sudden we are trying to act shocked, SHOCKED, that people we talk to about bitcoin continuously start to show interest in bitcoins.

People talking about bitcoin is not a sign of a bubble. People being interested in bitcoin is not a sign of a bubble.  It's a sign that bitcoin is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

fair point. that assumes it's adoption driving the price rise though. if it is, your right. great. if it's not, and just speculators or something? could still go bad.

personally i am hoping for the moon shot.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:09:32 AM

My problem with that theory is that much of the recent gains are due to a recent rash of good news.  What happens when there is bad news? Granted, the good news is real news, but it's been decidedly pro-Bitcoin for weeks.  We are due some bad news, like a major exchange hack.  We are, IMHO, beyond a price point that is justifiable with the current size of the actual bitcoin economic activity alone.  Hype leads to speculative bubbles.  We all know this.  What we don't know is how long we can ride it before sentiment turns sour.  What happens to the European banking panic when the asinine deposit tax proposal in Cyprus goes down in flames?  Or there is a compromise that doesn't spell the worst?  The sudden influx of Euro denominated wealth cannot be maintained.  Once the pool of risk adverse Europeans (an irony, I know) has all moved the greater part of their deposits into Bitcoin (or gold/silver/whatever) who is going to be left to support the bid wall?  Can that bid wall be supported by Argentines and Iranians evading capital controls?  I doubt it.  That's what Bitcoin is good for, but it doesn't really matter so much what the exchange price actually is if Bitcoin is only being used as a workaround for a bottleneck in the fiat currency system.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:17:28 AM

My problem with that theory is that much of the recent gains are due to a recent rash of good news.  What happens when there is bad news? Granted, the good news is real news, but it's been decidedly pro-Bitcoin for weeks.  We are due some bad news, like a major exchange hack.  We are, IMHO, beyond a price point that is justifiable with the current size of the actual bitcoin economic activity alone.  Hype leads to speculative bubbles.  We all know this.  What we don't know is how long we can ride it before sentiment turns sour.  What happens to the European banking panic when the asinine deposit tax proposal in Cyprus goes down in flames?  Or there is a compromise that doesn't spell the worst?  The sudden influx of Euro denominated wealth cannot be maintained.  Once the pool of risk adverse Europeans (an irony, I know) has all moved the greater part of their deposits into Bitcoin (or gold/silver/whatever) who is going to be left to support the bid wall?  Can that bid wall be supported by Argentines and Iranians evading capital controls?  I doubt it.  That's what Bitcoin is good for, but it doesn't really matter so much what the exchange price actually is if Bitcoin is only being used as a workaround for a bottleneck in the fiat currency system.

How bout the fork?  That wasn't good.
I don't think europeans are driving the rally atm, euro bitcoin price was somewhat lower than usd bitcoin price.
mccorvic

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:26:35 AM

I don't think the analogy works with bitcoin.  Our goal has been to push adoption in order to push main stream acceptance and usage.  I find it strange that all of a sudden we are trying to act shocked, SHOCKED, that people we talk to about bitcoin continuously start to show interest in bitcoins.

People talking about bitcoin is not a sign of a bubble. People being interested in bitcoin is not a sign of a bubble.  It's a sign that bitcoin is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

My problem with that theory is that much of the recent gains are due to a recent rash of good news.  What happens when there is bad news? Granted, the good news is real news, but it's been decidedly pro-Bitcoin for weeks.  We are due some bad news, like a major exchange hack.  We are, IMHO, beyond a price point that is justifiable with the current size of the actual bitcoin economic activity alone.  Hype leads to speculative bubbles.  We all know this.  What we don't know is how long we can ride it before sentiment turns sour.  What happens to the European banking panic when the asinine deposit tax proposal in Cyprus goes down in flames?  Or there is a compromise that doesn't spell the worst?  The sudden influx of Euro denominated wealth cannot be maintained.  Once the pool of risk adverse Europeans (an irony, I know) has all moved the greater part of their deposits into Bitcoin (or gold/silver/whatever) who is going to be left to support the bid wall?  Can that bid wall be supported by Argentines and Iranians evading capital controls?  I doubt it.  That's what Bitcoin is good for, but it doesn't really matter so much what the exchange price actually is if Bitcoin is only being used as a workaround for a bottleneck in the fiat currency system.

I really can't imagine worse news happening than the fork, and we made it through just fine.  I think that event was actually a fairly unsung hero in the recent rises past $50. It really boosted confidence in the system.

The rest of your post comes down to a pretty philosophical difference that we, ultimately, won't be able to answer Smiley  If the market was 100% speculation, then yea, we'd be in trouble no doubt.  BUT the first step of getting people to use bitcoin is getting them to have a bitcoin.  If 1,000 speculators buy 1,000 btc each to "make a profit" with there is a chance that a good number of them will actually come across a scenario where using BTC instead of other means is actually beneficial.  This will push adoption rates up. Victory.

So even if your grandma buys a bitcoin with the initial purpose of flipping it, I would hope you'd explain to her all the other benefits of holding the coin at the same time.  Maybe she'll come around.

If we get enough Argentines and Iranians to use BTC to get around capital controls or the fiat bottleneck, a lot of them will eventually see the benefit and just use BTC directly.  

I am also of the opinion that our current price is way, way, way to low and is held low by speculators.  Bitcoin is a powerful financial tool in a wide variety of ways and people will continue to realize it in ever growing numbers.

losangeles

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:33:42 AM

imho the people with enough cash to move around due to international monetary news probably have a reason or two to have an asset like bitcoin.  so i agree with you on all that, but i also think the exposure bitcoin is getting in this cyprus debacle is enough to turn on some people, with significant assets, who see a use for it beyond the ones you mention.

i don't think the existing monetary system will ever come crashing down, but that people with significant wealth will always want options for maneuvering within it.
BitPirate

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:34:55 AM

I don't think the analogy works with bitcoin.  Our goal has been to push adoption in order to push main stream acceptance and usage.  I find it strange that all of a sudden we are trying to act shocked, SHOCKED, that people we talk to about bitcoin continuously start to show interest in bitcoins.

People talking about bitcoin is not a sign of a bubble. People being interested in bitcoin is not a sign of a bubble.  It's a sign that bitcoin is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

My problem with that theory is that much of the recent gains are due to a recent rash of good news.  What happens when there is bad news? Granted, the good news is real news, but it's been decidedly pro-Bitcoin for weeks.  We are due some bad news, like a major exchange hack.  We are, IMHO, beyond a price point that is justifiable with the current size of the actual bitcoin economic activity alone.  Hype leads to speculative bubbles.  We all know this.  What we don't know is how long we can ride it before sentiment turns sour.  What happens to the European banking panic when the asinine deposit tax proposal in Cyprus goes down in flames?  Or there is a compromise that doesn't spell the worst?  The sudden influx of Euro denominated wealth cannot be maintained.  Once the pool of risk adverse Europeans (an irony, I know) has all moved the greater part of their deposits into Bitcoin (or gold/silver/whatever) who is going to be left to support the bid wall?  Can that bid wall be supported by Argentines and Iranians evading capital controls?  I doubt it.  That's what Bitcoin is good for, but it doesn't really matter so much what the exchange price actually is if Bitcoin is only being used as a workaround for a bottleneck in the fiat currency system.

I really can't imagine worse news happening than the fork, and we made it through just fine.  I think that event was actually a fairly unsung hero in the recent rises past $50. It really boosted confidence in the system.

The rest of your post comes down to a pretty philosophical difference that we, ultimately, won't be able to answer Smiley  If the market was 100% speculation, then yea, we'd be in trouble no doubt.  BUT the first step of getting people to use bitcoin is getting them to have a bitcoin.  If 1,000 speculators buy 1,000 btc each to "make a profit" with there is a chance that a good number of them will actually come across a scenario where using BTC instead of other means is actually beneficial.  This will push adoption rates up. Victory.

So even if your grandma buys a bitcoin with the initial purpose of flipping it, I would hope you'd explain to her all the other benefits of holding the coin at the same time.  Maybe she'll come around.

If we get enough Argentines and Iranians to use BTC to get around capital controls or the fiat bottleneck, a lot of them will eventually see the benefit and just use BTC directly.  

I am also of the opinion that our current price is way, way, way to low and is held low by speculators.  Bitcoin is a powerful financial tool in a wide variety of ways and people will continue to realize it in ever growing numbers.

^ This. One week ago we had awful news -- how can people have such short memories? There's hardly been a "rash of good news". This is just the beginning of big players getting on board. The FinCEN regulations will accelerate that as virtual currencies move from the fringe. We're not in a bubble; we're at the foot of a mountain looking up.

Certainly, we will go down a little in order to go up again, but prepare for the long climb ahead -- don't waste your energy in the foothills.

The Cyprus haircut looks like it won't happen after all, but it has a magnifying effect of people looking for safe havens for their assets... across the whole of Europe. However I think the result from this is more speculative than real right now.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:48:36 AM

I am also of the opinion that our current price is way, way, way to low and is held low by speculators.  

How do you figure?  I believe shorting is very limited, so anybody who wants to speculate besides that needs to buy bitcoin, thus increasing the amount of fiat pumped into the system.  And they are only successful if they sell at a higher price (thus leaving the price higher).
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:52:04 AM

damn you crazy BTC. I give up trying to sell high buy low, all I end up doing is sell high, buy higher.

Thing is: while this is not so good when price goes constantly up, it does buy you some safety and potential for good profit in case of a dip (or even panic).

I will continue to do this (sell high, buy in again higher). It sux to sell and see the price go higher and I used to get really pissed and almost decided to go all long but nowadays I tell myself: at least you've been quite safe and you supported bitcoin (as sort-of a "buyer of last resort").

Also: if everyone stops having some fiat on gox ready for a drop, that will greatly amplify the drop (who's going to buy up the cheap coins?)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 05:58:37 AM

damn you crazy BTC. I give up trying to sell high buy low, all I end up doing is sell high, buy higher.

Thing is: while this is not so good when price goes constantly up, it does buy you some safety and potential for good profit in case of a dip (or even panic).

I will continue to do this (sell high, buy in again higher). It sux to sell and see the price go higher and I used to get really pissed and almost decided to go all long but nowadays I tell myself: at least you've been quite safe and you supported bitcoin (as sort-of a "buyer of last resort").

Also: if everyone stops having some fiat on gox ready for a drop, that will greatly amplify the drop (who's going to buy up the cheap coins?)

Me too, I have been burned once and successful once, as long as I don't get burned too often I'll keep trying Smiley.
My motivation is more based on greed (through self-delusion of trading skills) than "for the good of bitcoin", but the end result is the same.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:07:01 AM

fair point. that assumes it's adoption driving the price rise though. if it is, your right. great. if it's not, and just speculators or something? could still go bad.

personally i am hoping for the moon shot.

What is unique about bitcoin is that the price has to be high enough for it to be useful. I mean who doesn't want to send money internationally without paying high fees? Who doesn't want to put their wealth in cold storage somewhere they can check on from time to time? But in order for all this to happen, the market has to be liquid enough in the first place.

I am not the kind of people who will believe in a moon shot, but I will at least postpone my outburst of fear uncertainty and doubt from taking over me before we reach triple digits, the rally has to continue for bitcoin to survive, if you had been through the bottom of 2011 you will know how outrageously manipulated the market was then, simply because it was too small. Judging by percentage variation, the volatility now is way lower than it was then, and such volatility would not allow any business to run properly.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:08:31 AM

What is unique about bitcoin is that the price has to be high enough for it to be useful. I mean who doesn't want to send money internationally without paying high fees? Who doesn't want to put their wealth in cold storage somewhere they can check from time to time? But in order for all this to happen, the market has to be liquid enough in the first place.

I am not the kind of people who will believe in a moon shot, but I will at least postpone outburst of fear uncertainty and doubt before we reach triple digits, the rally has to continue for bitcoin to survive, if you had been through the bottom of 2011 you will know how outrageously manipulated the market was then, simply because it is too small. Judging by percentage variation, the volatility now is way lower than it was then.

words of wisdom
losangeles

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 06:10:52 AM

continuing off-topic.. the attention on bitcoin from the Cyprus news and FinCEN has probably gotten to a few ultra-high net worth people.  someone bought $1mil in coin today, and let's remember there are hundreds of people in the world for whom $1mil is a very small percentage of their savings.  hundreds of people for whom $1mil is less of their savings than $1,000 is to you.  the impact on price is obvious.

but the peas coming along with that carrot is that with such high net worth people into bitcoin, it will become more legitimate in some ways.  certainly there would be more legal hoops to jump through if a government wanted to outlaw something which some rich guy's lawyers on retainer will be paid to defend.  still not exactly a "robust economy," but value in being an alternative to traditional banking.
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:06:50 AM

I sold almost everything now  Cry Just some BTC in cold storage and some S.DICE shares left. Didn't expect to have that much fiat so soon. This escalated really quickly.  Shocked Anyway, enjoy my bitcoins whoever bought it. Hopefully it will go still upwards, I don't think many early adopters with decent amounts of bitcoins are still in the game and new hands look strong enough not to sell anytime soon.
Bowjob

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 07:11:51 AM

I sold almost everything now  Cry Just some BTC in cold storage and some S.DICE shares left. Didn't expect to have that much fiat so soon. This escalated really quickly.  Shocked Anyway, enjoy my bitcoins whoever bought it. Hopefully it will go still upwards, I don't think many early adopters with decent amounts of bitcoins are still in the game and new hands look strong enough not to sell anytime soon.

Well, profit is profit. Just don't kick yourself when you see tripple digits. Smiley

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Pages: « 1 ... 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 [732] 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 ... 1189 »
  Print  

Jump to: