Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:14:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The BitcoinCard : Vienna, Austria Workshop  (Read 14050 times)
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 02:37:04 PM

I was in Vienna 3 days ago. If only I had known about this...

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 03:44:00 PM

It would be a nice surprise to see bitcoincard in the next issue of Bitcoin Magazine  Shocked
Fat chance, apparently MNW is developing a competitor to it that he doesn't want anyone to know about, so he probably wouldn't allow such an article to be included.

My role at Bitcoin Magazine isn't to exclude legitimate stories of innovation in Bitcoin. It's to include legitimate news. When bitcoincard is proven to be more than just an over-hyped self-contradicting pipe dream website, I would be more than happy to write an entire piece on it for the print issue. The same goes for MintChip (which will probably end up as a colossal  failure but I hope -that- succeeds as well as it serves a purpose).

If the Ellet ever gets an article, it'll be because it's been proven, not because I have some kind of special interest in it. Your horridly inaccurate underestimation of our journalistic integrity is quite sickening. I want the same thing you want-- less bullshit and vaporware and more movement. Yet instead of bothering to build something or participate in a movement, you prefer to poke fun at me and all my personal advances in the Bitcoin economy. Classy.

Open your eyes to the facts: why don't these bitcoincard guys stick to what they say instead of completely contradicting themselves in their uberhype videos? "Doesn't rely on infrastructure"? What do you call requiring everyone in the world to hold a gateway repeater to the benefit of their neighbors? What do you call a USB dongle? Give me a break. I hope this is all clarified in this trip (that's why they're going afterall), but I'm not holding my breath because we've already found the solution and don't need to wait on anyone else.

As a community, we're all waiting to see what Erik and Charlie gather on their trip to Vienna, but I can't say I personally have much faith in any of this being more than fishing for investors for a product that markets itself as a privacy invasive DOA piece of hardware that requires a major rebuilding of a communications infrastructure just so you can be force fed ads.

I think you should have this discussion in it's dedicated thread: [ANN] Coming next week-- the world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet!. I came here to read details about bitcoincard and form opinion, and from another thread we already know your point of view, so I don't think there is a need to reiterate it.
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 03:53:37 PM

I'm heading to the airport for Vienna in about 2 hours.
I will tweet about any exciting developments that come from the meetings.

You can follow me at  https://twitter.com/#!/rogerkver

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 12:23:09 AM

That was hours ago.  Couldn't tweet from the airport?  Did TSA lock you up?  Anal probe your laptop?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 12:33:52 AM

New blog post:

BitcoinCard in Vienna Day 1: Coffee, missing ATM's, and some testing! (Pictures)

http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/6/8/bitcoincard-in-vienna-day-1-coffee-missing-atms-and-some-tes.html

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 01:11:41 AM

New blog post:

BitcoinCard in Vienna Day 1: Coffee, missing ATM's, and some testing! (Pictures)

http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/6/8/bitcoincard-in-vienna-day-1-coffee-missing-atms-and-some-tes.html

Alright, that's already enough.  I want to put an order in for at least 10 of the first run.  And a gateway device that I can plug into my router.  I'll put it on my roof and cover my entire neighborhood.  Then I'll take them to the farmers' market that occurs every Saturday across the street from my house and see what I can do with them.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 01:12:33 AM

why do they have letter tags on them? 

REF

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 01:27:17 AM

Ill take 6 and 2 gateway devices too! I love that its the size of a credit card!In the picture with 4 of them laying on the desk they look huge that picture was taken at a weird angle.

why do they have letter tags on them? 
good catch it looks like that. perhaps for testing and identifying which card they used?

It looks like a slighly different card. notice the numbers missing underneath the screen.
from the products page on their website

from today, it no longer says bitcoincard.org across the top either. (image is huge so I linked to it)
http://blog.bitinstant.com/storage/Photo%20Jun%2008%204%2046%2044%20PM.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1339201784462
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 02:01:02 AM

Tomorrow we head back for more discussion and testing. I'm also meeting up with Frank from VirWox.com and may even get to fly a small plane!

Will it also be the size of a CC?

Thanks for the update!

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 02:14:30 AM

New blog post:

Alright, that's already enough.  I want to put an order in for at least 10 of the first run.  And a gateway device that I can plug into my router.  I'll put it on my roof and cover my entire neighborhood.  Then I'll take them to the farmers' market that occurs every Saturday across the street from my house and see what I can do with them.
Dude, if these and Matthew's devices do what they say they do we need to set up camp on Wall Street and show those pissant Occupiers how it is done.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 02:26:03 AM

New blog post:

Dude, if these and Matthew's devices do what they say they do we need to set up camp on Wall Street and show those pissant Occupiers how it is done.

Go for it.  I don't live anywhere near Wall Street.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 10:03:30 AM

That looks awesome.

So what's next?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 10:29:19 AM

New blog post:

Go for it.  I don't live anywhere near Wall Street.
Yeah, I don't either. And I can't believe I asked you to go camping.  Roll Eyes
I am rethinking this concept. Since these are communication devices, there is no reason protests can't coordinate from anywhere. Protests can be combined with flash swap meets, and attract vendors that will be interested in Bitcoin. All I'm really trying to convey is that it's time to go PUBLIC and take a stand on Bitcoin for Main Street.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 02:15:58 PM

This thing is so revolutionary, it needs a whole new way to carry it around. It needs to be worn openly, but still be accessible. Maybe pinned onto a pocket or lapel. Maybe dangling from a lanyard or blinged out on a gold chain. Maybe like a pocket watch. It's just to cool to carry in your pocket unless you want to hide it.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 05:10:43 PM

I want details.  Come on guys, give us an update.

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 05:37:56 PM

Not that much news yet - we saw some demos and had some interesting discussions about various technical, organizational and financial aspects. Tomorrow will be the last day of the workshop, Roger arrived yesterday and Gavin already left today. I expect a rather intense final session tomorrow and I'm sure Charlie and Erik will report their impressions.

This workshop was just the beginning and collaboration with the great guys from bitcoincard will surely continue!

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 05:48:13 PM

Looks awesome, and of course- I want one. (Or many!)

Still begs the question as to why it's better then having it already in the smart-phones people already own. I think it will be hard to get people to both adopt a new currency AND carry a new wallet around.

But it looks nothing short of awesome. :-)

more or less retired.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 05:59:50 PM

If I knew about this event sooner, I could took a BUS to go to Vienna ! It's less than hour away...  Sad
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2012, 12:14:42 PM

Still begs the question as to why it's better then having it already in the smart-phones people already own. I think it will be hard to get people to both adopt a new currency AND carry a new wallet around.

Bitcoin apps for existing smartphones can still be used. But this claims to offer bitcoin connectivity without a mobile carrier and without local electricity, both of which could be considered single points of failure under a repressive regime.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 12:29:18 PM

Bitcoin apps for existing smartphones can still be used. But this claims to offer bitcoin connectivity without a mobile carrier and without local electricity, both of which could be considered single points of failure under a repressive regime.

This is a good point of focus for the Bitcoincard's claims as having a solar panel for electricity and an ad-hoc network consisting of other individuals with the card would at least on it's face sound like a good solution.

This issue that needs to be discussed however is that although we would all love such a device (myself included!) it's straight from a fairytale. Anyone in the electronics industry can tell you that the e-ink screen, radio transmitter/receiver and other functions of the device cannot be run by such a small solar panel, in fact, it would need a battery the size of the whole card just to run an hour more than likely.

Also, the network they present does in fact require infrastructure that doesn't exist but could also be controlled by a repressive regime (they can detect signals quite easily and locate them wherever they may be if they really wanted to).

I don't think in 2012 the question is "do we want something decentralized?". The answer to that question is an obvious "Yes". The real question is, "Who actually believes this technology actually works and this isn't just a fishing expedition for investors into a technology that doesn't do what it claims to do yet?".

I realize we're waiting on Charlie, Erik and others to return with more information, but any professional in the electronics field will tell you that the technology they claim doesn't exist yet and won't for another 20 years perhaps. If it were so easy, why wouldn't your iphone just have a solar panel on the back of it? Why would anyone be using GSM/CDMA in the first place?

Ask the correct questions people. A few photos of a shell doth a new technology maketh not.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: