Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:57:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The BitcoinCard : Vienna, Austria Workshop  (Read 14051 times)
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 08:05:00 PM

From what I've heard I believe he isn't, but I don't know if I can say more.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 08:06:07 PM

In the future will everything be open source exclusive for bitcoin network?
Can the USB dongle work on all cross-platform ?

If they're asking for NDAs, I don't believe it's going to be open source. But it would be interesting, for them and for their customers, if they make at least the protocol open, so that different implementations can talk with it.
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 09:36:44 PM

All in all this sounds pretty amazing!
Alex Squared, as Charlie calls them, should join our forum so we can pick their brains directly  Grin

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 09:46:22 PM

I've been emailing with with Mr. Ioscko. I don't think you're going to get much from them, but I have a feeling they will have some big things planned soon.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 09:56:43 PM

The device can run 1 month on 1 full solar charge.
The device has a 100-200 meter range outdoors and 50-100 indoors.
Oh, the warm smell of the claims of extrardinary radio performance. It is almost as seductive as the warm smell of colitas.

For the people interested in other claims of extraordiary radio performance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_minimum-shift_keying
http://www.vmsk.org/
http://www.ka9q.net/vmsk/

Too bad all the good links about Pixelon are gone from the Internet.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 10:00:28 PM

Oh, the warm smell of the claims of extrardinary radio performance. It is almost as seductive as the warm smell of colitas.

The protocol is very noise resistant and very low bandwidth.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2012, 11:33:49 PM

If I can use it to txt my kids at school and send them lunch money at the same time that would be awesome  Cheesy

sethsethseth

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 11:37:22 PM

The website doesn't say much about the business model.  Who do they want to market this to, and how will it be marketed?  The features of this product are fantastic.  I am just having trouble figuring out which groups of people benefit the most from it.

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2012, 11:49:55 PM

The website doesn't say much about the business model.  Who do they want to market this to, and how will it be marketed?  The features of this product are fantastic.  I am just having trouble figuring out which groups of people benefit the most from it.

What could go wrong with a crazy russian oligarch funding a bitcoin device ?

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2012, 11:53:17 PM

Hopefully the Ellet and the bitcoincard can communicate...now that would be an interesting market dynamic...

apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 12:04:45 AM

The way I understand it, is he is really fed up with Banks and Central Banks behaving badly. He is realizing Fiat currencies purchasing power is going to 0. He wants to spur Bitcoin adoption by bringing Bitcoin to retail. Plus he had this great hardware device developed for a long time which fits the Bitcoin usecase very well.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 12:09:54 AM

The way I understand it, is he is really fed up with Banks and Central Banks behaving badly. He is realizing Fiat currencies purchasing power is going to 0. He wants to spur Bitcoin adoption by bringing Bitcoin to retail. Plus he had this great hardware device developed for a long time which fits the Bitcoin usecase very well.

The bitcoincard and the ellet is like watching the space race all over again  Cheesy

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 01:38:17 AM

The bitcoincard and the ellet is like watching the space race all over again  Cheesy

I think exploring meatspace this soon is kind of jumping the gun. Bitcoin is a digital currency, and wants to live in the digital world. I don't think we have a digital ecosystem robust enough to support it in real world transactions just yet. I'm glad that the work is at least being started, but there is still a lot of work to be done on the protocol, the clients, security and usecase exploration.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 02:24:43 AM

If I can use it to txt my kids at school and send them lunch money at the same time that would be awesome  Cheesy

Amen, brother.  I had decided long ago that a meshable device for texting is worth much just for that.  Give them to my daughter and her friends, and let them go at it.  100meters is kinda poor for the purpose, though.  Definately not a Dash7 device.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
sethsethseth

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 02:40:40 AM

Is Alex² really Russian, or is that entirely a joke?

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 02:58:29 AM

I think exploring meatspace this soon is kind of jumping the gun. Bitcoin is a digital currency, and wants to live in the digital world. I don't think we have a digital ecosystem robust enough to support it in real world transactions just yet. I'm glad that the work is at least being started, but there is still a lot of work to be done on the protocol, the clients, security and usecase exploration.
I agree, we still haven't really developed smartphone apps enough to really show what Bitcoin can do. Web and smartphone apps should be the main priority for awhile. Bitcoincard is awesome, but maybe too soon to bring to market.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 03:06:01 AM

I agree, we still haven't really developed smartphone apps enough to really show what Bitcoin can do. Web and smartphone apps should be the main priority for awhile. Bitcoincard is awesome, but maybe too soon to bring to market.

Those can be your priorities.  Let others focus on their priorities.  I have a lot of personal reasons to want a secure offline bitcoin device, and I have a lot of personal reasons to want a meshable & service free practial means of near-space texting.  Again, 100 meters isn't enough, but imagine if I had a dozen of these devices & gave each of them to people that I was traveling to a concert with.  Or a ball game.  Just the ability to send a text to my kids headed to the conessions stand "cancel the chips, I want a hot dog" or "cancel the entire order, halftime is over, get back" or using the location features, after one child telss me that his sister's purse was snatched, I could potentially track it up to a point.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 03:19:19 AM

Perhaps its something like IEEE 802.15.4. And running 1 month with the radio/display/etc off. If you see pictures of the actual device its a lot simpler than presented in the video.

REF

Activity: 529

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 03:44:22 AM

Amen, brother.  I had decided long ago that a meshable device for texting is worth much just for that.  Give them to my daughter and her friends, and let them go at it.  100meters is kinda poor for the purpose, though.  Definately not a Dash7 device.
I wonder how good they weather. I work a mile from where I live I wonder if I could tap them to trees to reach from my office to my house. Making a mesh around my house would be great & cool to experiment with.

I could see kids in schools using the texting feature 6-10 kids would be enough to create a mesh in the entire building.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 04:08:12 AM

I could see kids in schools using the texting feature 6-10 kids would be enough to create a mesh in the entire building.

Not unless it's a small school, and the kids are evenly spaced and don't move.  Something closer to 30 would be required to maintain a mesh network for any school that I've attended, with a radio radius of 100 meters.  Wifi can get 100 meters in open air space, but 2.45 Ghz is a crappy frequency choice for a mesh.  Without changing the protocol or peak-power, just switching to 433 Mhz would double the effective range due to the lower background noise level & reduced sensitivity to attenuation by hydrogen containing mass.  Wifi doesn't use 433mhz mostly because the band is too narrow for such wideband tech.

I wish, at least, I knew what frequency this device used.  That would tell me much about how well I could extend ranges.  A single dongle may only have a radius of 100 meters, but three of them using 120 degree wide panel antennas on a pole can cover 2-3 times that radius under ideal conditions.  2.45 Ghz would not be an ideal condition, however. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: