Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:58:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The BitcoinCard : Vienna, Austria Workshop  (Read 14049 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 04:11:55 AM

I wonder how good they weather. I work a mile from where I live I wonder if I could tap them to trees to reach from my office to my house. Making a mesh around my house would be great & cool to experiment with.

Considering that they use only a solar cell for power, just put one into a ziplock bag and tape it down to the top of objects that pedestrians cannot see above.  Like the roof of a bus shelter, or the top of a vending machine.  If they are cheap enough, it doesn't much matter if someone eventually finds them.  By the time your's go bad or are stolen, either the mesh network would be self-sustaining or it likely will never be.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 04:16:05 AM

I wonder how good they weather. I work a mile from where I live I wonder if I could tap them to trees to reach from my office to my house. Making a mesh around my house would be great & cool to experiment with.

Considering that they use only a solar cell for power, just put one into a ziplock bag and tape it down to the top of objects that pedestrians cannot see above.  Like the roof of a bus shelter, or the top of a vending machine.  If they are cheap enough, it doesn't much matter if someone eventually finds them.  By the time your's go bad or are stolen, either the mesh network would be self-sustaining or it likely will never be.

That is what I would do. Leave a trail of them on the way to school so that the message gets relayed.

If they are cheap enough I would leave them all over town....

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 04:32:25 AM

On a bus, nice. This takes RFC 1149 to a whole new level. Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 04:47:13 AM

On a bus, nice. This takes RFC 1149 to a whole new level. Grin

Heh.

Dash7 would still be a better wireless protocol, even on a bus or a bird.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 05:12:55 AM

Will the bus still explode if it drops under 50 mph and is not in range of a gateway ?

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 05:50:08 AM

Will the bus still explode if it drops under 50 mph and is not in range of a gateway ?

Only if Keeanu Reeves is driving it.

Pic Related  Cheesy

genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 07:17:24 AM

This is the guy making it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6974216.stm

Also: I saw bitcoincard, and the device is legit. It has only minor kinks that are easy to work out.

I'll avoid posting more as they're quite sensitive to exposing their secrets right now, but the device is really cool. I'm hopeful for it.

First off:
- It's tiny. Credit card sized and < 1 mm thick
- Low cost (cheap device)
- Low power (runs off solar)
- Theoretically it should be secure, but I need to know more of their setup first to be sure their implementation is secure. I'm guessing there may be a couple of vectors they haven't thought of yet, but with proper help they should resolve this.

For merchants, it's trivial and safe to allow Bitcoin payments from these. They also look pretty nifty.

I can imagine one day, Intersango giving away a basket of these for free branded with our logo (or something). They are really cheap and simple devices.

I'm not questioning the tech tbh, but more whether people would prefer this over mobile phones (a social problem) despite improved security. Phones can do way more than this device so I'm not sure.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 02:36:05 PM

I'm not questioning the tech tbh, but more whether people would prefer this over mobile phones (a social problem) despite improved security. Phones can do way more than this device so I'm not sure.

My understanding is that the argument for this sort of device over a phone is that it has the potential to be independent of traditional communication infrastructure, which, assuming the P2P infrastructure it uses is secure, would eliminate at least that attack vector.  I love that idea, however, I think there are two related criticisms to be made.  (1) Network independence depends on widespread enough adoption and it's hard to believe that level of adoption is achievable even over the next few years.  (2) It seems that to overcome (1) they'll use hubs that are connected to the world's standard communication infrastructure, and, therefore, possibly invalidate the security benefit, at least initially.  Though, perhaps I'm misunderstanding how these hubs will work, and maybe they don't plug into the existing infrastructure but simply act as higher power signals for the P2P network.  Admittedly I haven't read all the documentation they've provided, so if I've got something wrong let me know.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 05:34:45 PM

The video says that it can send text and pictures.

The screen does not appear to be set up for pictures of any significance, and...how would you get the picture?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 05:37:31 PM

The screen does not appear to be set up for pictures of any significance, and...how would you get the picture?

I think that the video was mostly a generic promo developed for the card before they settled on using as a bitcoin device.  I doubt, seriously, that it will ever be able to send actual images even though the mesh protocol might support sharing of arbitrary data objects.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 05:49:32 PM

From the video it looked like the types of pictures you could send would be little low res images like you'd see on a TI-83, for example.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 06:30:59 PM

From the video it looked like the types of pictures you could send would be little low res images like you'd see on a TI-83, for example.

You mean like on my Casio when I would type 07734 then turn it upside down?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
World

Activity: 743

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 09:18:24 PM

When and where you place a pre-order one of that card? Thx

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
minimalB
Donator

Activity: 674
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 10:50:13 PM

Alot of the technical aspects we all had to sign a non-confidentiality however Erik (who is a MUCH better writer than I am has been preparing a blog post)

Is this blog post online somewhere?
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 10:52:23 PM

Any one hear of a disclosed price?
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 10:54:46 PM

Alot of the technical aspects we all had to sign a non-confidentiality however Erik (who is a MUCH better writer than I am has been preparing a blog post)

Is this blog post online somewhere?

Working on it

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 03:46:46 PM

It would be a nice surprise to see bitcoincard in the next issue of Bitcoin Magazine  Shocked
Fat chance, apparently MNW is developing a competitor to it that he doesn't want anyone to know about, so he probably wouldn't allow such an article to be included.

My role at Bitcoin Magazine isn't to exclude legitimate stories of innovation in Bitcoin. It's to include legitimate news.

yesyes, Matthew, very honorable, but: what about including a bitcoincard in the magazine?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 04:09:52 PM

i agree with this.  i don't like all the colors.

I used to have similar taste. Then I went to south Korea...

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 04:10:42 PM

This are very cool, and I am pretty excited. Do you think they would melt if I superglued tons upside down around the neighborhood on top of tall things? I live near hershey park, I could hide some there too on top of the large chocolate bar statues

hi
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 04:41:26 PM

It's been asked before but I'm not sure it's been answered: will I be able to put my own keys on it?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: