Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:25:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Password Leak] LinkedIn database hacked  (Read 12858 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 09:21:04 PM

You enter a master password and other details (like the domain name and user id) then it uses a hash function to generate a password that doesn't need to be stored anywhere.  It does all of that on the client, in the browser and you can access it from any computer with an internet connection and a browser (only on a computer you trust of course).
I used a tool like that before but found it more convenient to use a tool that came with plugins for every browser I use including Android. I want my password manager to Just Work no matter which browser I am using so I've found it to be easier to disable the built-in managers and just use the LastPass plugin for everything.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 09:56:10 PM

Cool thing is that linkedln easily could rename their service to leakedln. Whoever used linkedln anyway ?
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 10:09:35 PM

GLBSE uses BCrypt + salt

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 11:48:55 PM

So far 3,427,202 passwords have cracked from LinkedIn List Almost 50%Its been about 24 hours - The longest? a 29 letter sentence from Bible

- https://twitter.com/CrackMeIfYouCan/status/210474428407103490

So, the "username" (LinkedIn doesn't use usernames, so that's e-mail address) hasn't been leaked.   So 3.4 million email passwords, maybe a quarter (more, I'ld bet) used the same password as their email, and PayPal.  So presuming a party with malicious intent has control of close to a million valid email accounts and passwords .

So from there, I'm guessing access to the email accounts gives "forgot password" capability to bank accounts.   Most of those will be slowed by a "mother's maiden name" mulltifactor security question, ... but there's probably thousands (or tens of thousands) of bank accounts that will get compromised as a result of this.   PayPal, without having a security question hurdle even more.   Dwolla uses a PIN #, ... hopefully not a whole lot of people used 4321 or 9999 PIN codes for that.

Aye ,... this could be painful.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:42:43 AM

So far 3,427,202 passwords have cracked from LinkedIn List Almost 50%Its been about 24 hours - The longest? a 29 letter sentence from Bible

- https://twitter.com/CrackMeIfYouCan/status/210474428407103490

So, the "username" (LinkedIn doesn't use usernames, so that's e-mail address) hasn't been leaked.   So 3.4 million email passwords, maybe a quarter (more, I'ld bet) used the same password as their email, and PayPal.  So presuming a party with malicious intent has control of close to a million valid email accounts and passwords .

So from there, I'm guessing access to the email accounts gives "forgot password" capability to bank accounts.   Most of those will be slowed by a "mother's maiden name" mulltifactor security question, ... but there's probably thousands (or tens of thousands) of bank accounts that will get compromised as a result of this.   PayPal, without having a security question hurdle even more.   Dwolla uses a PIN #, ... hopefully not a whole lot of people used 4321 or 9999 PIN codes for that.

Aye ,... this could be painful.
I'm disappointed. According to LeakedIn my password is not part of the leak. It would have been interesting to see if anyone managed to crack my old password: h0NOl&tHgNr7ePTiayf7
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:52:21 AM

This pisses me off. Really, I mean really?? I thought LinkedIn was supposed to be professional. Every newb knows that you always want some salt with your hash ( and maybe some eggs too ). Otherwise it's bland and tasteless.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:57:58 AM

Check This out.
http://shiflett.org/blog/2012/jun/leakedin
Link to Chris Shiflet's blog and another link to "Leakedin"
Their leaked password checker. 

Happy Hunting....
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 01:11:30 AM

Honestly I feel it is going to take companies being force to publicly disclose their exact mechanism for storing passwords and face civil penalties for inaccurate disclosures.   I mean it is 2012 not 1971.  There is absolutely no possible excuse for not using bcypt (or similar) much less not even salting the passwords.     Security through obscurity is no security at all.

Maybe we can get such information from Bitcoin websites via public pressure.

So major Bitcoin businesses and exchanges how are you storing your passwords?
MtGox?
CampBX?
Bitcointalk?
Bitmit?
Deepbit?
Bitcoinica?

Any volunteers?

Bitcoinica: Salted BCrypt with 20 iterations. Enforce minimum 8 characters. It can take months to crack a simple password. (And I use this for all my future app projects. Also recommend everyone to do the same.)

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 01:27:03 AM

It can take months to crack a simple password.
Only if it isn't in a dictionary somewhere already. But yes, even dictionary cracks are slowed down, somewhat.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 02:04:18 AM

We salt for the rainbow and iterate for the dictionary. You gotta love technology lingo.
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 02:42:54 AM

Bitcoinica: Salted BCrypt with 20 iterations. Enforce minimum 8 characters. It can take months to crack a simple password. (And I use this for all my future app projects. Also recommend everyone to do the same.)

I assume you mean Salted Bcrypt w/ workload=20, that is 2^20 = 1 million iterations.  Slightly harder. Smiley  A single round of bcrypt takes roughly 5x the clock cycles as long as SHA-256 (OpenCL optimized).  Thus bcrypt(20) is on the magnitude of 5 million times harder to crack than salted SHA-256 hash.

Another way to look at it.  If a hacker could brute force a given password hashed SHA-256 in 1 second it would take them 57 days on bcrypt(20).

There is absolutely no reason to use anything weaker than bcrypt (or similar chained iterative functions like PBKDF2 or scrypt).

pass - stupid
MD5(pass) - cryptographically weak
SHA-256(pass) - vulnerable to rainbow tables
SHA-256(pass.salt) - vulnerable to brute force
bcyrpt(pass,salt,2^10) - vulnerable to weak/common password list
bcyrpt(strongpass*,salt,2^10) - computationally infeasible to attack

strongpass being enforced by the site as
8+ char
not in dictionary
not in known password list
cytokine
Donator

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 02:51:55 AM

I assume you mean Salted Bcrypt w/ workload=20, that is 2^20 = 1 million iterations.  Slightly harder. Smiley  A single round of bcrypt takes roughly 5x the clock cycles as long as SHA-256 (OpenCL optimized).  Thus bcrypt(20) is on the magnitude of 5 million times harder to crack than salted SHA-256 hash.

Another way to look at it.  If a hacker could brute force a given password hashed SHA-256 in 1 second it would take them 57 days on bcrypt(20).

There is absolutely no reason to use anything weaker than bcrypt (or similar chained iterative functions like PBKDF2 or scrypt).

pass - stupid
MD5(pass) - cryptographically weak
SHA-256(pass) - vulnerable to rainbow tables
SHA-256(pass.salt) - vulnerable to brute force
bcyrpt(pass,salt,2^10) - vulnerable to weak/common password list
bcyrpt(strongpass*,salt,2^10) - computationally infeasible to attack

strongpass being enforced by the site as
8+ char
not in dictionary
not in known password list

And the best part about bcrypt is that you can dynamically adapt it over time to keep up with Moore's law. Just update the hash whenever after a user successfully logs in with the updated difficulty level.

With the SHA family, you're stuck.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 06:11:09 AM

Would someone please explain this for the uninitiated: is there only one unique string (password) that corresponds to a given hash?  I believe the technical term is collision resistance, right?  Once you reverse the hash, can you know for sure that you got it right? If password is a dictionary word, it may be obvious, but how about if everyone were using random strings for their passwords? Would the hacker ever be able to know for sure if the reversed hash is the right one?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 06:21:16 AM

is there only one unique string (password) that corresponds to a given hash?
Theoretically there are are infinite number of inputs that will result in the same hash because the hash function outputs a fixed-length value but the input can be any length.
niko

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 06:56:11 AM

Theoretically there are are infinite number of inputs that will result in the same hash because the hash function outputs a fixed-length value but the input can be any length.

Yes, thank you. Now, is this statement still true when a typical password is shorter than the 32-byte hash? 

zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 07:39:55 AM

Yes, thank you. Now, is this statement still true when a typical password is shorter than the 32-byte hash? 

For MD5: http://stackoverflow.com/a/2000014

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 07:44:49 AM

If you restrict the inputs to being within some normal distribution of user password length, then there are no longer an infinite number of inputs. So there are no longer an infinite number of inputs that can result in the same output.

That doesn't make the statement false though because of the hedging word theoretically.

One other thing I would note here is that the act of telling the public how many rounds there are in your password hashing settings may save the attacker quite a bit of work.
Serenata

Activity: 250

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 07:46:23 AM

The safest thing you can do as a consumer is user a random password at each site.
Doing that is much easier with a dedicated password manager, like LastPass.

Apologies to all for the offtopic but if you think about it, it's not.
We're talking about a major password leak at LinkedIn, but we're comfortable to have ALL of our passwords stored on an online service (!). Reading more about LastPass and watching the video on how to use it, I understand that LastPass saves the passwords online, so it can "restore" them to another browser on the same or another computer. Moreover, there are features to store auto-fill information (address, email, etc), so you don't have to fill it every time on every site.
Can you imagine the impact if this site has a similar leak of user data?

Local storage (encrypted ofc) or even what Steve suggested is the way to go IMO.

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 08:35:58 AM

We're talking about a major password leak at LinkedIn, but we're comfortable to have ALL of our passwords stored on an online service (!). Reading more about LastPass and watching the video on how to use it, I understand that LastPass saves the passwords online, so it can "restore" them to another browser on the same or another computer. Moreover, there are features to store auto-fill information (address, email, etc), so you don't have to fill it every time on every site.
Can you imagine the impact if this site has a similar leak of user data?

LastPass has your encrypted passwords. They don't, however, have the decryption key.

niko

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 09:00:57 AM

For MD5: http://stackoverflow.com/a/2000014

Alright, does this mean that if my password is a reasonably random string, and the unsalted hash is made public, it may be possible to "reverse" it, but it won't be possible to tell for sure that that was the actual password - there could be another string with the same hash out there.

Also, does this mean that you could still type in a "wrong" password (that hashes into the proper hash), and you would be able to log in just fine, since server is ultimately comparing hashes?

Sorry for silly questions, I'm not versed in this topic but I want to understand the implications of these kinds of leaks.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: