Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:01:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved]poclbm.exe and cpu usage  (Read 6623 times)
pekv2 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 02:37:23 AM
Last edit: June 25, 2012, 08:03:21 PM by pekv2

Solved: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=89736.msg989555#msg989555

poclbm.exe suppose to use so much cpu usage? I'm on 12.1 ccc with 2.5 sdk.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 02:41:48 AM

o.0 I literally just typed a whole paragraph down and then went "wait what the fuck. he's got the optimum drivers... the bug should be gone"

Is your aggression really high? I hear that somepeople get cpu usage from that... But your at 100%, Suggesting that peices of other drivers are still laying around, Still causing you the bug..

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 04:12:05 AM

o.0 I literally just typed a whole paragraph down and then went "wait what the fuck. he's got the optimum drivers... the bug should be gone"

Is your aggression really high? I hear that somepeople get cpu usage from that... But your at 100%, Suggesting that peices of other drivers are still laying around, Still causing you the bug..

I did have 11.12, and installed 12.1 over it.  I am using these flags -v -w128 -f 1 on both miners.

I been sitting here mining the whole time, thinking, man, didn't they fix this. So had to ask, what is going on.
scifimike12

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 04:26:55 AM

Try going back to CCC 11.12.  I didn't experience any CPU bug with the same settings when I had 5xxx/6xxx cards.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 05:21:31 AM

And if I recall correctly, back in nov-dec 2011, the cpu bug was still there, but for some, it was fixed and others not.
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 11:20:20 AM

IIRC, 11.12 and beyond come with 2.6 SDK, not 2.5.

Anyways, I use 11.12 + 2.1 SDK on all my rigs and phoenix 2 miner, no cpu bug

12% cpu indicates you have an 8 core cpu? If its a single core cpu though.. 12% sounds "ok" to me, might have a weird setting which causes exponentially higher cpu with higher aggressions/lower -f flags. I had that for a while, but it eventually fixe ditself with a driver change, but I dont know which. It was a long time ago.

pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 12:57:37 PM

12% cpu indicates you have an 8 core cpu? If its a single core cpu though.. 12% sounds "ok" to me, might have a weird setting which causes exponentially higher cpu with higher aggressions/lower -f flags. I had that for a while, but it eventually fixe ditself with a driver change, but I dont know which. It was a long time ago.

I am sure 11.12 comes with 2.6 sdk, but as stated, I have 12.1 with 2.5 SDK installed.

Yea ppl keep telling me they are using 2.1 with 11.12, dunno how but they are.

I have a duel core processor with HT. I3-2100.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 02:54:49 PM

I am sure 11.12 comes with 2.6 sdk, but as stated, I have 12.1 with 2.5 SDK installed.

So you have Four selectable cores? 12% isnt that bad atall... it would be at 25% if you had a Bug pegging your core, have you tried messing with the -f param?

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 07:03:22 PM

So you have Four selectable cores? 12% isnt that bad atall... it would be at 25% if you had a Bug pegging your core, have you tried messing with the -f param?

Yea, the cores aren't fully utilized, for core 0 is for workerone, core 1 is for workertwo. If I set core 0 for both workers, either workerone or two will get horrible mhash/s.

Crap, that is what the problem was. I changed the f 1 flag to f 10, I am receiving 00 cpu utilization on both miners. Why would this be?
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 07:08:30 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2012, 08:05:40 PM by pekv2

Small donation sent to you, jackrabbit & ssateneth.
ssateneth
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 01:19:38 AM

Lower f number = higher aggression = typically more cpu. It means the GPU is working a larger set of nonces before finishing work and asking for more.

If poclbm -f argument is anything like diablominer -f, it is essentially trying to complete an entire kernel run -f amount of times per second. Assuming a 1 ghash/sec GPU, -f 1 would attempt to complete an 1 billion hashes in a single kernel run before asking for more nonces to hash, which would be about once every second. -f 10 would attempt to complete 100 million hashes per kernel run, requiring new nonce ranges 10 times per second. -f 100 would do 10 million hashes per kernel run and ask for more nonce ranges 100 times/second. Requiring new work more often generally leaves the gpu more open to other requests, such as rendering desktop, or games, or whatever, which means less lag.

Some drivers had a bug that made high cpu usage with higher aggressions.

Lastly, people use 2.1 SDK by installing the standalone SDK here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9768004/ATIStreamSDK_dev.msi or locating it on AMD's website (The .msi I linked is part of the package that AMD offers for 2.1 SDK, but it is the only thing you need to enable 2.1 sdk. Everything else is useless as far as mining goes). It is an entirely different platform than AMD APP (2.4+) so it can be installed at the same time. Your miner needs to be able to select a different platform though. Some miners don't allow you to do this though, but instead list the same device under a different platform as a different device, so you would mine under the "new" device. Say you had 2 5870's. Generally, your newer SDK would come up first (AMD APP) and you would have device 0 and 1, and maybe device 2 if the miner shows cpu devices as well. SDK 2.1 would be listed after that and show device 3 (cpu) then device 4 and 5 as the 5870's. For some reason, 2.1 SDK lists the CPU as the first device. AMD APP lists the CPU as the last device.

Oh, TY for donation too

pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 01:59:37 AM

You're welcomed. Great explanation. I tried to install 2.1, but it said, a higher version is already installed.
pekv2 (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 03:54:41 AM

Lower f number = higher aggression = typically more cpu. It means the GPU is working a larger set of nonces before finishing work and asking for more.

If poclbm -f argument is anything like diablominer -f, it is essentially trying to complete an entire kernel run -f amount of times per second. Assuming a 1 ghash/sec GPU, -f 1 would attempt to complete an 1 billion hashes in a single kernel run before asking for more nonces to hash, which would be about once every second. -f 10 would attempt to complete 100 million hashes per kernel run, requiring new nonce ranges 10 times per second. -f 100 would do 10 million hashes per kernel run and ask for more nonce ranges 100 times/second. Requiring new work more often generally leaves the gpu more open to other requests, such as rendering desktop, or games, or whatever, which means less lag.

Lastly, people use 2.1 SDK by installing the standalone SDK here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9768004/ATIStreamSDK_dev.msi or locating it on AMD's website (The .msi I linked is part of the package that AMD offers for 2.1 SDK, but it is the only thing you need to enable 2.1 sdk. Everything else is useless as far as mining goes). It is an entirely different platform than AMD APP (2.4+) so it can be installed at the same time. Your miner needs to be able to select a different platform though. Some miners don't allow you to do this though, but instead list the same device under a different platform as a different device, so you would mine under the "new" device. Say you had 2 5870's. Generally, your newer SDK would come up first (AMD APP) and you would have device 0 and 1, and maybe device 2 if the miner shows cpu devices as well. SDK 2.1 would be listed after that and show device 3 (cpu) then device 4 and 5 as the 5870's. For some reason, 2.1 SDK lists the CPU as the first device. AMD APP lists the CPU as the last device.

Oh, TY for donation too

Ok, I got the standalone installed. I see the extra devices under GUIMiner. It's mining away with 12.1ccc & 2.1 SDK.

From what I can tell for 2.1 & 2.5, either they both seem to mine away at the same speeds or 2.1 might seem more stable at mhash/s or 2.1 seems like it might have lost 1 or 2 mhash/s. Very hard to tell if there is a difference. And actually, my desktop is laggy when 2.1 is used in which I believe you had stated something about this previously. Good to know that I got this working though, with 2.1 and learned about the extra devices.

So, from your experience, what difference can you tell between 2.1 and 2.5?

ssateneth
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 08:30:07 AM

Oh, TY for donation too

Ok, I got the standalone installed. I see the extra devices under GUIMiner. It's mining away with 12.1ccc & 2.1 SDK.

From what I can tell for 2.1 & 2.5, either they both seem to mine away at the same speeds or 2.1 might seem more stable at mhash/s or 2.1 seems like it might have lost 1 or 2 mhash/s. Very hard to tell if there is a difference. And actually, my desktop is laggy when 2.1 is used in which I believe you had stated something about this previously. Good to know that I got this working though, with 2.1 and learned about the extra devices.

So, from your experience, what difference can you tell between 2.1 and 2.5?

2.1 is generally a more aggressive SDK. You will notice more desktop lag and even mouse lag at lower aggressions on 2.1 compared to 2.4/2.5. It's great for dedicated 5xxx/60xx-68xx cards. You may need to use slightly different memory speeds or miner/kernel settings, but for me, its a couple mhash more per card using phoenix + phatk2

Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 04:43:10 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2012, 04:57:38 PM by JackRabiit

Thankyou so very very much!, I have not yet loaded my client to see the amount but im still super happy to have finally gotten a tip for attempting to help

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: