Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:09:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet!  (Read 45618 times)
xurious

Activity: 413
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 11:47:39 AM

Subbed.

A)I believe I have missed something. I've read through 6 pages of post. I don't see anywhere where it verifies the person sending you the bitcoins actually has them. Can I make a copy of my wallet at one point in time, clone it to a second SDCARD, put it on 2 ellets and send money to 2 people? It doesn't store the blockchain. So if you are in a place with no wireless and no cellular, I can't possibly see how you can't clone your wallet and spend twice. I mean hell, someone can find a way to open one, kill the antennae, and just walk around spending a bucket load of money at say a trade convention. Lets go a step further. Find the spectrum this uses and kill it with a jammer. You could walk around all day just going "oh look, no signal here. Have 30 bucks" and disappear into the shadows.

B) As others said. The name isn't very good, but whatever. It doesn't flow if you ask me.

C) This will be hacked. Saying it can't, just makes you a bigger target. This deals with money, you already have a large mark on your back. See: iphone, onstar, etc

D) I'd say an app I can put on any phone I'm already I'm carrying in my pocket would be a huge plus. I'm not opposed to another device, depending on the size. When you carry a gun in one pocket, earbuds,gum,cellphone in another and a wallet in one back pocket, you really don't wan't to have leave an implant in the other cheek.

E) If you can get it to the right size and display the time, this would make a great watch replacement. Heck, I still might build a strap to keep it on my wrist, no worries about theft under a long shirt then.

EDIT:F) Accept credit cards. I got a square up device a bit ago. This is awesome for me when I'm at shows. Instant payment that everyone already has, especially when they don't carry around a few $100 in cash. As for the fee, I add it to their total.
As far as "A" goes you mis understand how transactions are proccesed with lite bitcoin clients. This device verifies from multiple servers to increase confidence and will output the level of confidence it has when sending,recieivng or checking balances. Something bitcoindcard dosent have the proccessing power to check for(although that is an assumption about bitcoincard specs i could be wrong)

I was very aware of how lite clients work. Which is why I need this information in order for it to all make sense:
Update: Added the following update to the first release statement.

• Connectivity -- The Ellet can connect on the go to any mobile network around the world, no need for any additional mobile accounts, bothersome SIM cards, or the purchase of any external repeater systems. It also works on Wifi too to provide you with uninterrupted signal to suit your needs.

So without any wifi or cellular (granted hard to find today), these things won't work. It's a good thing.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 05:56:28 PM

I skimmed this thread, and would like to know how this is better than the "smart" phone I just bought.

The only thing I see people saying is that it is smaller and thus harder to steal. If that is the only selling point it would be hard for me carry something extra that I can already do.

Thanks.

It would be more secure.  "smart" phones are super easy to turn into "out of your control" phones.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 05:58:55 PM

• Connectivity -- The Ellet can connect on the go to any mobile network around the world, no need for any additional mobile accounts, bothersome SIM cards, or the purchase of any external repeater systems. It also works on Wifi too to provide you with uninterrupted signal to suit your needs.
Really, do tell. If there is no SIM card, that means it can only run on CDMA to access a general purpose mobile network, and those exist almost solely in the USA, since they are old, outdated technology. The rest of the world uses GSM, which requires a SIM.

I am aware that you can access mobile networks at a significantly reduced price for "telemetry" applications that do not require E911 access, but it isn't free and still requires the presence of an identifying technology such as a SIM card or hardcoded MEID (or R-UIM cards locked to specific hardware).

So tell us: What exactly is this magical new no-cost global network, what specific technology is it based on, and how do you plan on it remaining free? I assume at this point that it is free because of your statement "no need for any additional mobile accounts".

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 06:06:04 PM

Really, do tell. If there is no SIM card, that means it can only run on CDMA to access a general purpose mobile network, and those exist almost solely in the USA, since they are old, outdated technology. The rest of the world uses GSM, which requires a SIM.

I am aware that you can access mobile networks at a significantly reduced price for "telemetry" applications that do not require E911 access, but it isn't free and still requires the presence of an identifying technology such as a SIM card or hardcoded MEID (or R-UIM cards locked to specific hardware).

So tell us: What exactly is this magical new no-cost global network, what specific technology is it based on, and how do you plan on it remaining free? I assume at this point that it is free because of your statement "no need for any additional mobile accounts".

So, if all that is possible who is paying to track Bitcoin users wherever they go? Because that's what will happen, just like with cell phones.
Matthew, contact the DEA and you might get all the funding you need from them.
xurious

Activity: 413

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 06:50:39 PM

So, if all that is possible who is paying to track Bitcoin users wherever they go? Because that's what will happen, just like with cell phones.
Matthew, contact the DEA and you might get all the funding you need from them.

I'm pretty sure using any of the cellular stuff will get make you pseudo traceable along with semi accurate positioning. However I'm no expert. This was part of the reason I was curious to the "connectivty" that was lacking before I asked about it.

Again I've only skimmed, however will this device be able to utilized VPN access? I'd think at this point that it should be taken for granted it would.

SiaMining.com -- First PPS SiaMining Pool! 3%, VarDiff, Stratum Support
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 12:01:14 AM

I skimmed this thread, and would like to know how this is better than the "smart" phone I just bought.

The only thing I see people saying is that it is smaller and thus harder to steal. If that is the only selling point it would be hard for me carry something extra that I can already do.

Thanks.

It would be more secure.  "smart" phones are super easy to turn into "out of your control" phones.
Please go ahead and hack my phone. My number is +1 (650) 426-8720.
Yes, it contains BTC.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 12:04:05 AM

Thanks.

Yes, it contains BTC.

No thanks.  I don't steal, and I have enough to do this summer.  There are ways to secure your phone, but many default installs are vulnerable.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 01:38:56 AM

Thanks.

Yes, it contains BTC.

i think he was referring more to what backdoors carriers have installed.  whats that program;  Carrier IQ?
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 04:14:49 AM

I like gadgets and it is only $30.

mhm.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 07:27:58 AM

Problem is not *your* phone getting hacked but some bitcoin price widget that is installed on millions of phones turn into a bitcoin steal widget sending all the money from all those phones home.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 09:14:51 AM

I have tried "embedded key" solutions for mobile: they just do not work for me because there is the time when I want to make a quick send and the device wants to update its block chain.

I need to wait a few seconds or minutes and that turns the user experience to really bad compared to just any other payment solutions.

IMHO, thin clients (with backend hosted keys) are the way to go mobile.

The keys do not have to be on the server for the device to be snappy. Try BitcoinSpinner for android or the Ellet once it is publicly available.

Sorry, I have tried Bitcoinspinner extensively and it is not always snappy..

It will never be as fast as a thin client like paytunia because a thin client does not need to update a local chain.

Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 01:42:27 PM

Problem is not *your* phone getting hacked but some bitcoin price widget that is installed on millions of phones turn into a bitcoin steal widget sending all the money from all those phones home.

If I'm not mistaken, Android applications are sandboxed and do not have access to other applications private data.

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 01:46:09 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Android applications are sandboxed and do not have access to other applications private data.

good point.

makes me wonder why their even is an anti-virus built into android then....
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 01:46:31 PM

good point.
sandbox can be broken, app could have "Chernobyl"-permissions. shit could happen...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 01:49:46 PM

Jeez, you guys are really criticizing this pre-announcement. You haven't even given the "backers" a chance to postpone the actual announcement.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 02:07:12 PM

Putting something like this in a watch is very interesting idea indeed.

Subbed.

A)I believe I have missed something. I've read through 6 pages of post. I don't see anywhere where it verifies the person sending you the bitcoins actually has them. Can I make a copy of my wallet at one point in time, clone it to a second SDCARD, put it on 2 ellets and send money to 2 people? It doesn't store the blockchain. So if you are in a place with no wireless and no cellular, I can't possibly see how you can't clone your wallet and spend twice. I mean hell, someone can find a way to open one, kill the antennae, and just walk around spending a bucket load of money at say a trade convention. Lets go a step further. Find the spectrum this uses and kill it with a jammer. You could walk around all day just going "oh look, no signal here. Have 30 bucks" and disappear into the shadows.

B) As others said. The name isn't very good, but whatever. It doesn't flow if you ask me.

C) This will be hacked. Saying it can't, just makes you a bigger target. This deals with money, you already have a large mark on your back. See: iphone, onstar, etc

D) I'd say an app I can put on any phone I'm already I'm carrying in my pocket would be a huge plus. I'm not opposed to another device, depending on the size. When you carry a gun in one pocket, earbuds,gum,cellphone in another and a wallet in one back pocket, you really don't wan't to have leave an implant in the other cheek.

E) If you can get it to the right size and display the time, this would make a great watch replacement. Heck, I still might build a strap to keep it on my wrist, no worries about theft under a long shirt then.

EDIT:F) Accept credit cards. I got a square up device a bit ago. This is awesome for me when I'm at shows. Instant payment that everyone already has, especially when they don't carry around a few $100 in cash. As for the fee, I add it to their total.
As far as "A" goes you mis understand how transactions are proccesed with lite bitcoin clients. This device verifies from multiple servers to increase confidence and will output the level of confidence it has when sending,recieivng or checking balances. Something bitcoindcard dosent have the proccessing power to check for(although that is an assumption about bitcoincard specs i could be wrong)

I was very aware of how lite clients work. Which is why I need this information in order for it to all make sense:

So without any wifi or cellular (granted hard to find today), these things won't work. It's a good thing.

more or less retired.
Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 02:12:15 PM

Indeed, my $30 has already been spent on this.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 07:16:50 PM

Is this device real?

Elletsys.com won't load. Kickstarter finds nothing when searching or Ellet. Anybody know the creators?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 02:07:59 AM

Is this device real?

Elletsys.com won't load. Kickstarter finds nothing when searching or Ellet. Anybody know the creators?
I'm not at liberty to say  Cool
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2012, 11:45:39 AM

Sorry, I have tried Bitcoinspinner extensively and it is not always snappy..

It will never be as fast as a thin client like paytunia because a thin client does not need to update a local chain.
This is off topic but I don't know what you're talking about. BitcoinSpinner is a thin client, it doesn't have a local blockchain. It uses a server to handle the blockchain. Private keys are stored on the device, the neat thing is that it doesn't require any registration.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: