Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:14:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] The world's first handheld Bitcoin device, the Ellet!  (Read 45618 times)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 01:13:47 AM

no, there is simply not enough to do any kind of speculation.

What about wild speculation?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 01:32:29 AM

So can someone list the pros and cons of this device vs bitcoin card? Is there enough information to even compile such a list?

I have seen the bitcoincard, but until both devices are actually in the hands of users I'd be very careful with such comparisons.
As for the interoperability between different devices: I think it is important to keep all devices somehow compatible with Bitcoin itself. As long as each device supports sending and receiving funds to/from an arbitrary Bitcoin address on a standard notebook computer or a smartphone, everything will be fine.

I am also of the opinion that in the end it is about bringing Bitcoin to the users, not some device. It is pretty much the same as with different software clients: I couldn't care less if you're using bitcoin-Qt, Armory, BitcoinSpinner or if you happen to like crafting your own transactions with a pocket calculator Wink

Everything which makes it easier for people to actually use Bitcoin (while staying reasonably secure) is certainly an improvement and I'll happily support every device that helps to achieve this goal!
+1

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 06:54:24 AM

Is this device real?

Elletsys.com won't load. Kickstarter finds nothing when searching or Ellet. Anybody know the creators?

Bump. I hope this project is real. Sounds ridiculously cool...but oddly prematurely announced to no apparent advantage to anyone but the competition... [[[[head alloc] init] scratch] harder]

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 08:03:44 AM

Ellet supports encrypted ham radio transactions with the iPhone CONFIRMED!

The iphone gets ham radio? Encrypted no less? Is there some Trucker CB radio app I've never heard about?

Please explain, on the surface that sounds ridiculous.

Not intended to be a factual statement. It is a joke.

Zip! (Over my head). Got it. :-)

more or less retired.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 03:23:36 PM

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but it may be good idea to add a Bitcoincard (http://bitcoincard.org/product/) radio transceiver.  As it may benefit both devices if they could ad-hoc in the same network.

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 03:26:29 PM

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but it may be good idea to add a Bitcoincard (http://bitcoincard.org/product/) radio transceiver.  As it may benefit both devices if they could ad-hoc in the same network.

Maybe if the Ellet has 3G and WiFi then Ellet's could act as a mobile gateway nodes for Bitcoincard's?

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 05:50:37 PM

Maybe if the Ellet has 3G and WiFi then Ellet's could act as a mobile gateway nodes for Bitcoincard's?

But then MNW would have to play nice with the bitcoincard guys...

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 06:20:01 PM

But that is the problem, I've actual photos of Bitcoincards.  Granted, still photos can be faked; but I have nothing at all from you concerning the Ellet.  From my perspectives, it's the Ellet that is vaporware.  At a minimum, the Bitcoincard guys have working test models.  I saw a youtube video of two such cards (sitting less than a foot from each other, mind you) perform a transaction on video.  A transaction that can be verified via the bitcoin blockchain.  If the bitcoincard is vaporware, the fog is getting pretty thick.

You sure about that? As far as I'm aware, all the stuff they've demonstrated so far is entirely technically feasable if a bit tricky. It's actually the claims which they haven't given any demonstration of so far - the solar recharging, the mesh networking, the usability of the cards in areas with no infrastructure - that are implausible. Each of them is a major advance on the state of the art on its own, and combining them is harder yet.

(Not Matthew N. Wright, but this sort of thing stands out like a sore thumb.)

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 01:27:18 AM

But that is the problem, I've actual photos of Bitcoincards.  Granted, still photos can be faked; but I have nothing at all from you concerning the Ellet.  From my perspectives, it's the Ellet that is vaporware.  At a minimum, the Bitcoincard guys have working test models.  I saw a youtube video of two such cards (sitting less than a foot from each other, mind you) perform a transaction on video.  A transaction that can be verified via the bitcoin blockchain.  If the bitcoincard is vaporware, the fog is getting pretty thick.

You sure about that? As far as I'm aware, all the stuff they've demonstrated so far is entirely technically feasable if a bit tricky. It's actually the claims which they haven't given any demonstration of so far - the solar recharging, the mesh networking, the usability of the cards in areas with no infrastructure - that are implausible. Each of them is a major advance on the state of the art on its own, and combining them is harder yet.

(Not Matthew N. Wright, but this sort of thing stands out like a sore thumb.)

Mesh networking isn't implausible at all, hams do it constantly.  That is exactly what a packet TNC does.  The real question is can they do it in such a small device and with such small power requirements, but 100 meters is nothing for a modern digital mode even at low power levels, so I don't consider that unrealistic either.  In fact, I'm hoping that they are under stating the effective range, because 100 meters isn't practical except in some pretty dense urban areas.  I'd say the bear minimum effective ranges start at 300meters.  And nor is communications sans (commerical) infrastructure implausible, for that is the very nature of mesh networking anyway.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 01:46:17 AM

Yay! It's Next Week! Oh wait, it's now this week. So last week was this week then, but now this week will be last week next week. So which next week will be coming?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 01:48:36 AM

Yay! It's Next Week! Oh wait, it's now this week. So last week was this week then, but now this week will be last week next week. So which next week will be coming?
Free fish tomorrow!

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Rarity

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 03:03:05 AM

I'd say the bear minimum effective ranges start at 300meters.

No way I'm letting bears smart enough to use bitcoin within 300 meters of me out in the wild.

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 09:04:30 AM

Is this device real?

Elletsys.com won't load. Kickstarter finds nothing when searching or Ellet. Anybody know the creators?

Bump. I hope this project is real. Sounds ridiculously cool...but oddly prematurely announced to no apparent advantage to anyone but the competition... [[[[head alloc] init] scratch] harder]

Eww, is that Objective-C I just read? D:
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 09:57:25 AM

I sure hope this won't come that slow like the mag did.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 11:36:29 PM

Is this device real?

Eww, is that Objective-C I just read? D:

I'd have typed it in java, but I don't have that kind of time Smiley

Seriously though. Why publish so early? To what end? I'm confused.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Hello!

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 01:21:31 AM

Too bad this might not be real, i kind of want one

hi
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 01:52:03 AM

Well it's Saturday here in Korea and my American engineers were having trouble recording a video of the second generation prototype due to their laptop not showing any transactions on the blockchain (even from my client to theirs). Sorry for being so late in the week, but it's still "this week" which is still "next week" a week ago.

Hope to get it all finished today!

Cheers

terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 01:57:29 AM

Well it's Saturday here in Korea and my American engineers were having trouble recording a video of the second generation prototype due to their laptop not showing any transactions on the blockchain (even from my client to theirs). Sorry for being so late in the week, but it's still "this week" which is still "next week" a week ago.

Hope to get it all finished today!

Cheers
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 16, 2012, 02:13:01 AM

UPDATE: The first video release will show the second generation prototype only. We are already working on a third generation but it's not yet ready to the point of being able to put it on video.

Interesting fact: I looked up our feature set of brainstorming and it turns out the next private release of IOS6 beta is planning on using one of the same features I came up with a few weeks ago. That should tell you how much we are ahead of the curve to build some faith Wink

The bad news: I can't show you the 3rd generation prototype.

The good news: The 3rd generation prototype is half the size of the 2nd.

I'll stop teasing and report when my engineer calls me today. Cheers

(Serious note to newbies: You might have noticed some people in this thread are claiming this is vaporware. Please refer to the Bitcoin Magazine threads where the exact same people had said that that was also vaporware (it was published, printed, shipped and delivered starting last month). Then when it was announced that it would be distributed by Barnes & Noble, the same exact people claimed it was a lie (it has been officially approved and will be picked up by Barnes & Noble). So please understand that as the creative lead on this project, I won't be wasting my time answering the baseless accusations, only the actual questions, and only when it's something that won't be in an official press release mere days later. Cheers!)

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2012, 02:16:39 AM

Ooh ooh...Cloud Condensor!

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: