Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:29:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.6 bitcoin-qt stuck at block 176947  (Read 4063 times)
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 12:25:43 AM

I'm on the Satoshi QT client, version 0.6.0.6-beta.

At some point on 23 April 2012, the client crashed in boost library code (unfortunately I didn't save the error message) and since then the client has been unable to make progress in catching up to the network; it's stuck at block 176947. I tried -rescan with no success.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 01:11:41 AM

How long have you been stuck already?

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 03:28:59 AM
Last edit: April 28, 2012, 03:39:58 AM by Qoheleth

How long have you been stuck already?
About five hours.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 03:38:04 PM

Can you post your debug.log file somewhere?

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2012, 07:47:24 PM

Here's a pastebin.

Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 09:03:19 AM

I solved this by deleting the blockchain and copying it from a working client.

However, since this makes at least two people who have gotten stuck on this exact block, I suspect there's a deeper issue here that you guys might want to investigate independently.

Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 05, 2012, 04:04:22 PM

At least three.

I noticed that my old client (0.3.x) was stuck at 176947 too when I was waiting for an incoming transaction. A backup only updated to the same block too.
Bitcoin had been closed normally before, no crash or anything.
Downloading the nightly blockchain snapshot and running bitcoin with the rescan option fixed the problem and the client just finished updating the last few missing blocks.
Seems like that block somehow differs from all the others.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2012, 06:00:23 PM

At some point on 23 April 2012, the client crashed in boost library code (unfortunately I didn't save the error message) and since then the client has been unable to make progress in catching up to the network; it's stuck at block 176947. I tried -rescan with no success.

Will the next person who gets stuck please get in touch with me via PM.  Peter thinks he fixed a dangling get stuck bug (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/1196), but unfortunately its hard to reproduce the problem.   If you could cleanly shut down and make a copy of your bitcoin director then we could give you a fixed binary to test.
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 10:36:48 PM

I'm stuck again. This time the block number is 181808.

Could I get a binary, or the command to pull+build a version of bitcoind with the fix?

Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2012, 03:57:07 PM

Will the next person who gets stuck please get in touch with me via PM.  Peter thinks he fixed a dangling get stuck bug (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/1196), but unfortunately its hard to reproduce the problem.   If you could cleanly shut down and make a copy of your bitcoin director then we could give you a fixed binary to test.
I went ahead and applied the patch manually. It does NOT allow me to proceed past this block.

I'm going to go ahead and delete my copy of the blockchain now, in the hopes that I'll be able to make progress after the purge.

Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 06:26:03 AM

No good - I've gotten stuck at the same block again.

I would really appreciate some help here[/b]. It's getting to the point where it's not worth it to store my coins on this client anymore.

flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 07:05:26 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2012, 10:16:52 AM by flatfly

I would really appreciate some help here[/b]. It's getting to the point where it's not worth it to store my coins on this client anymore.

Are you mining? If not, perhaps you should consider switching to another, blockchain-less client?
I would suggest checking out Electrum and MultiBit, both are quite good and stable.  To compare their features, you can use my chart, which is up to date: http://dre.tx0.org/compare.htm (There's Armory too, but it's still in alpha for now)
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 07:52:33 AM

Did you PM gmaxwell about this?
You could download the nightly snapshot and use this one to skip the block.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
Qoheleth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 09:21:48 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2012, 10:23:49 AM by Qoheleth

Are you mining?
Yes.
Did you PM gmaxwell about this?
Yes, and I received no response.
You could download the nightly snapshot and use this one to skip the block.
Does the nightly snapshot have a fix other than the one mentioned in gmaxwell's post? Because I tried that fix and it didn't help.

Edit: Wait, do you mean a nightly blockchain snapshot? That could work.

Edit 2: It did, in fact, work. Hopefully it won't get stuck again...

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 08, 2012, 10:13:45 AM

Get a bitcoin snapshot here: http://eu1.bitcoincharts.com/blockchain/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: