Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 05:47:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] LocalBitcoins.com - a location-based bitcoin to cash marketplace  (Read 125855 times)
kangasbros (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 12:14:33 PM

Now you can specify your location from a map. This should be very useful in countries where the zip code/address system is a little broken. It also helps sellers who have specific spot where they are exchanging.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 06:43:18 PM

Now you can specify your location from a map. This should be very useful in countries where the zip code/address system is a little broken. It also helps sellers who have specific spot where they are exchanging.

countries where the zip code/address system is a little broken Smiley Nice you consider it broken when it does not work the same like where you live but I was also surprised to find out that Chile has no zip codes.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 12:37:31 PM

countries where the zip code/address system is a little broken Smiley Nice you consider it broken when it does not work the same like where you live but I was also surprised to find out that Chile has no zip codes.

I meant like broken for our site, not for the country Cheesy We have some crappy zip/postal code database, and it works only well in some countries. Going through every country would be too much work at this point. The location picker should work almost everywhere pretty easily.

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 08:08:02 AM

Some minor improvements:

- UI should be much cleaner (edit etc)
- You can resend the email validation if you missed the original from the profile
- Reputation displayed in the listings

Site is going to mainteinance mode for maybe 1-2 weeks, because my partner found a real job and I need to focus on my other bitcoin projects. After that I have some additional features planned. Bug reports, feedback and comments are still very welcome, of course.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 08:10:53 AM

Some minor improvements:

- You can resend the email validation if you missed the original from the profile

Site is going to mainteinance mode for maybe 1-2 weeks, because my partner found a real job and I need to focus on my other bitcoin projects. After that I have some additional features planned. Bug reports, feedback and comments are still very welcome, of course.

what does maintenance mode mean for users like us? site frozen or no more updates for a while

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 09:51:57 AM

Some minor improvements:

what does maintenance mode mean for users like us? site frozen or no more updates for a while

No new features, only bug fixes & customer support. So everything will be normal.

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 06:45:24 PM

Some guy tried to buy bitcoins from me with paypal "ASAP" on localbitcoins. Please note that people who are trying to buy bitcoins with paypal are obvious scammers, especially on sites like localbitcoins which is clearly meant for cash transactions.

I will soon try to add feature which allows blocking/reporting this kind of users.

bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 09:32:35 AM

Frage: Wie kann ich Feedback geben ohne otc?

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 09:43:58 AM

Frage: Wie kann ich Feedback geben ohne otc?

Currently you can give feedback only on trades which use the localbitcoins transaction feature, after the transaction has been released.

There will be some changes coming to the reputation system later on, we just haven't figured the best way to do the reputation system yet.

Trying to practice my limited German: Du kann Feedback nur mit localbitcoins transaction Feature geben (und mit OTC).

bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 09:54:42 AM

Thats too bad. I just wanted to give a feedback to a user.

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Yurock

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 08:24:08 PM

The main page says:
ZIP/locationGE
The map shows the correct country.

If I click on ", Georgia" (after "Location"), the page says: "404 - URL not found".

If I enter my postal code in place of "ZIP/location" and click "Change", the map shows incorrect country (USA).
kneim
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 10:40:17 AM

Nice marketplace, made entries for Hannover and Heilbronn in Germany now. Some bugs vanished in the past few weeks. I tried with escrow/transaction and with smartphone with internet connection. Internet is really a hassle, escrow/transaction works very fast and well.

Nevertheless I think 0.5% fee is enough (than 1% fee now). If I'm trading with a real crook, oneself has to find a solution, you can not and will not help (money is given, but escrow not released, for example). This escrow mechanism is very helpful, but not scam proof.

Trading platforms take around 0.5% fee, and they have a lot of trouble with customers and the banking system and e-trading platforms, that you never will have.

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:52:55 PM

Nevertheless I think 0.5% fee is enough (than 1% fee now). If I'm trading with a real crook, oneself has to find a solution, you can not and will not help (money is given, but escrow not released, for example). This escrow mechanism is very helpful, but not scam proof.

I think there is no easy solution if the scammer is going to scam you on the spot, eg. run with the cash. This can happen with any traditional trade, not just with bitcoins. The thing is, that the buyer has to understand the system (request the verify code) before he hands out the cash, and he should be safe. Of course the scam can happen other way as well, the seller releases the transaction and the buyer runs after that without giving the money. If you fear this kind of robbery, then probably local trading isn't for you. I myself feel pretty confident doing the trades IRL, but I understand that it is not for everyone.

We will look at the fee policy.

kangasbros (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:53:26 PM

The main page says:
ZIP/locationGE
The map shows the correct country.

If I click on ", Georgia" (after "Location"), the page says: "404 - URL not found".

If I enter my postal code in place of "ZIP/location" and click "Change", the map shows incorrect country (USA).

Thanks for reporting, will fix ASAP.

pazor
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 06:33:32 PM

hi kangasbros,

please check your postfix configuration for email sending.
your verification email is rejected by my mail server with the following log entry.

Sep  2 20:23:05 hermes postfix/smtpd[20972]: 9534E4E983: reject: RCPT from static.147.88.47.78.clients.your-server.de[78.47.88.147]: 504 <Ubuntu-1204-precise-64-minimal>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname; from=<noreply@localbitcoins.com> to=<bitcoin@pagezo.de> proto=ESMTP helo=<Ubuntu-1204-precise-64-minimal

greedings
pazor

treuhand-Dienst gewünscht? - frag per PM an
BTC 174X17nR7vEQBQo4GXKRGMGaTmB49Gf1yT
kneim
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 09:59:40 PM

I think there is no easy solution if the scammer is going to scam you on the spot, eg. run with the cash. This can happen with any traditional trade, not just with bitcoins. The thing is, that the buyer has to understand the system (request the verify code) before he hands out the cash, and he should be safe. Of course the scam can happen other way as well, the seller releases the transaction and the buyer runs after that without giving the money. If you fear this kind of robbery, then probably local trading isn't for you. I myself feel pretty confident doing the trades IRL, but I understand that it is not for everyone.

I will use your trading platform, it's fine. I know the risks, and I can cover them. These are simply other risks than on traditional trading platforms, Intersango for example. What I want to say, these risks have to be treated by oneself, you cannot do anything if there is trouble between the traders.

moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 10:39:46 PM

I like these sites, would rather just meet somebody a block away and pay them cash than meddling with passport scans and waiting 3 days for bank transfers
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2012, 10:49:37 PM

I agree 1% is crispy for an exchange that never handles fiat at all. On the other hand as long as you don't intervene when I do follow up trades with the same person totally out of bands (I so far always traded more when meeting in person than the deal was about on localbitcoins and bitcoinary), I see it as a fee to get me together with potential traders. To build up my decentralized net of traders so to say. If I wanted to trade quickly I would put them all BCC and ask, who wants to trade. This mail should just not contain too much blabla so they consider it spam and regret having done business with me after all.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 04, 2012, 07:23:37 AM

I see it as a fee to get me together with potential traders. To build up my decentralized net of traders so to say. If I wanted to trade quickly I would put them all BCC and ask, who wants to trade.

GroupMe lets you have a group that an individual can opt-in and opt-out for receiving messages.  As a mobile app or just straight SMS text.
 - https://groupme.com

I've used it before and was thinking it would be perfect for a local group of Bitcoiners who trade.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2012, 02:19:34 PM

I see it as a fee to get me together with potential traders. To build up my decentralized net of traders so to say. If I wanted to trade quickly I would put them all BCC and ask, who wants to trade.

GroupMe lets you have a group that an individual can opt-in and opt-out for receiving messages.  As a mobile app or just straight SMS text.
 - https://groupme.com

I've used it before and was thinking it would be perfect for a local group of Bitcoiners who trade.

Thanks for the tip but BCC-mailing my contacts is fine for now. groupme.com requires all to either install the service and/or register + SMS fees.

ɃɃ
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: