Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 07:50:48 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Compared to Bitcoin, gold doesn't seem real...  (Read 7408 times)
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 02:57:59 PM

People seem to be under the illusion that gold sits idly in central banks. Even today gold still backs up the $.
That's why every country has been scrambling to get the gold back in their coffers lately (with the US refusing and keeping it for themselves).

They smell blood in the water for fiat money. The petrodollar is going to tank, and when it does shit is going to hit the fan globally for every fiat.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 01:31:39 AM

Bitcoin is torture proof. Sorry to disappoint.

Maybe. But how long can the person who knows the private key, or knows how to get the private key, or knows how to derive the private key, or knows who the other signatories of the multi-sig keys, how long can he hold out?

What will it take to break him?

And if there is no practical hope to get the bitcoins, how long before his captors realize that? (They may even refuse to believe you. So you're screwed if you actually can't get the bitcoins.)

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 02:25:52 AM

Maybe. But how long can the person who knows the private key, or knows how to get the private key, or knows how to derive the private key, or knows who the other signatories of the multi-sig keys, how long can he hold out?

If you believe there are people that are that powerful and diabolical to abuse that kind of power, then Bitcoin is needed more than ever to stop their evil.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Ruthful

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 02:45:02 AM

If you believe there are people that are that powerful and diabolical to abuse that kind of power, then Bitcoin is needed more than ever to stop their evil.

You don't need much power to kidnap and torture someone for his private keys .Any street thug would suffice.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 02:55:11 AM

If they think you have money, they will torture you. If you die before you give your money, they simply look for the next one who they think might have money.

So, don't ask, don't tell. Be anonymous. Low profile. And protect yourself.

BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 02:55:51 AM

You don't need much power to kidnap and torture someone for his private keys .Any street thug would suffice.

I think someone mentioned a kill-switch feature on a wallet. Maybe if somebody tries to move your coins without a seed, or during a certain time, the coins will be rerouted. Then the thug would just get pissed I guess. But fuck him

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Ruthful

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:00:01 AM

I think someone mentioned a kill-switch feature on a wallet. Maybe if somebody tries to move your coins without a seed, or during a certain time, the coins will be rerouted. Then the thug would just get pissed I guess. But fuck him

Yes, that will prevent him or any other guy from getting your bitcoin.But I somehow doubt you could walk out of that situation alive at that point, or at least with all your limbs attached.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:01:36 AM

Yes, that will prevent him or any other guy from getting your bitcoin.But I somehow doubt you could walk out of that situation alive at that point, or at least with all your limbs attached.

Well Bitcoin is commodity, not a crimefighter Grin

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Ruthful

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:05:24 AM

You should tell that to the guys who said this

Bitcoin is needed more than ever to stop their evil
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:08:55 AM

You should tell that to the guys who said this

Bitcoin is needed more than ever to stop their evil

The blockchain may still house secrets I have not yet discovered... Smiley

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:10:23 AM

They would only find decoys unless they knew exactly how many layers deep the cold storage bitcoins are buried. Then they need to know how deep the n factor authentication is buried. Then they need to know what countries and have the authority to find where the multisignature and SSS keys are hidden. Your street thug will need "a particular set of skills" to pull that off.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:15:05 AM

They would only find decoys unless they knew exactly how many layers deep the cold storage bitcoins are buried. Then they need to know how deep the n factor authentication is buried. Then they need to know what countries and have the authority to find where the multisignature and SSS keys are hidden. Your street thug will need "a particular set of skills" to pull that off.

Piff Paff. Bitcoin the Superhero

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:20:35 AM

Piff Paff. Bitcoin the Superhero
That's pretty close to the security Coinbase uses.

Ruthful

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:49:49 AM

Do you not read the part about "kidnap and torture"?We're not talking about hackers here(and even they use social engineering to do so if they could).

No ,they only need to know who the person who that holds that bitcoin and torture them to hand their key. If they couldn't/refuse  to cooperate ,well too bad ,you're dead.S/he need not be a technical expert to do this , the depravity and willingness to inflict pain and fear are the only "a particular set of skills" necessary.The simplest way  break a unbreakable safe is always to get it from someone who knows the key.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:06:17 AM

Do you not read the part about "kidnap and torture"?We're not talking about hackers here(and even they use social engineering to do so if they could).

No ,they only need to know who the person who that holds that bitcoin and torture them to hand their key. If they couldn't/refuse  to cooperate ,well too bad ,you're dead.S/he need not be a technical expert to do this , the depravity and willingness to inflict pain and fear are the only "a particular set of skills" necessary.The simplest way  break a unbreakable safe is always to get it from someone who knows the key.
No, you don't understand Bitcoin at all. Sure they can kill you, so what? They get nothing. And guess what, there are also ways to hide the information necessary for heirs to receive the bitcoins in the event of your death at a future date. I won't even get into the ways bitcoins can be used for anonymous vigilantism in the event of a death by foul play.

Ruthful

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:25:02 AM

No, you don't understand Bitcoin at all. Sure they can kill you, so what? They get nothing. And guess what, there are also ways to hide the information necessary for heirs to receive the bitcoins in the event of your death at a future date. I won't even get into the ways bitcoins can be used for anonymous vigilantism in the event of a death by foul play.

None of what you said is unique to bitcoin.Rich and powerful people had been doing these for centuries.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:34:11 AM

None of what you said is unique to bitcoin.Rich and powerful people had been doing these for centuries.
The rich and powerful usually resort to violence to achieve their ends. Bitcoin makes it trustless and non-violent to level the playing field. Their wealth will no longer be maintained by force, it will need to be earned through honesty and empathy.

ScryptAsic

Activity: 647
Merit: 501

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 05:42:54 AM

I think the greater threat is the threat of death. IMO most people are not going to want to die in order to protect their bitcoin/money. Although it would be possible for someone to only give information that would allow an attacker to access a portion of their bitcoin, an attacker could potentially forcibly administer any number of drugs that makes people more willing to give up information and makes it more difficult for them to hide information
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:50:11 AM

I think the greater threat is the threat of death. IMO most people are not going to want to die in order to protect their bitcoin/money. Although it would be possible for someone to only give information that would allow an attacker to access a portion of their bitcoin, an attacker could potentially forcibly administer any number of drugs that makes people more willing to give up information and makes it more difficult for them to hide information
That's why you use layers. Drugs cause states of consciousness that make difficult sequences hard to recall. Keys can be made to trigger alarms that alert trusted assets that can trap or track adversaries to reveal their positions for law enforcement or other forms of justice.

Ruthful

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 06:03:38 AM

The rich and powerful usually resort to violence to achieve their ends.

Not entire true.Many of them got them by their talents(hardwork,their brains, ability to forge social connections etc) or luck,its usually the combination of those.Not all of them are despicable people ,you know.

History has taught us that those without the means to achieve thing without violence are more like to do so than those with the means(rich and powerful).There are  good reason why violent crimes and social strife are more prevalent in poorer communities rather than affluent ones .

Bitcoin makes it trustless and non-violent to level the playing field.

It' hard to say that with a straight face when the playing field wasn't even violent in first place.

it will need to be earned through honesty and empathy.

The prevalence of scams and frauds involving bitcoin pretty much invalidates this statement altogether.You don't even need to leave this forum go to scam promoting ones to find them, they'r all here where we at.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: