Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:27:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwolla's SSL certificate has been revoked  (Read 5888 times)
DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 08:15:40 PM

how does one know they can trust the 'network notary' server?
Because the user chooses that notary themselves.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 08:21:10 PM

how does one know they can trust the 'network notary' server?
Because the user chooses that notary themselves.

yea, that does not quite cut it though. It's not like choosing your partner or something that you know all about. How is the list made to choose from? What verifies that the list is trustworthy natoaries? I'd assume this service decides that list, and if so does not do anything to reduce any trust issues with just using the standard CA's. It instead would increase trust issues unless there is some really indepth method for listing trusted notaries.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 09:52:08 PM

So, does anyone know why the certificate was revoked by verisign? It seems like this caught dwolla by surprise.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608

-

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 01:05:14 AM

Just a note, it seems that Dwolla switched to GoDaddy (known to be more trustworthy than Verisign?).

Dwolla, before:

Dwolla, after:
check_status

Activity: 196

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 01:24:09 AM

Who owns GoDaddy?

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 01:45:03 AM

Who owns GoDaddy?

According to Wikipedia it's owned by KKR, Silver Lake Partners and Technology Crossover Ventures.

check_status

Activity: 196

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 02:00:30 AM

That explains how stuxnet got into Iran. A Massad agent is CEO of 3 domain name registration companies, GoDaddy is just one.

This change in domains smells like manipulation/backroom deal shennanigans.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 01:36:31 AM

Bumping this with the text of an email that I sent them via their contact submission form, as follows:

I would like to know what's going on with your SSL certificate. The following statement is made at this link: http://help.dwolla.com/customer/portal/articles/86685-security-partner-overview

"VeriSign EV Certificate and Encryption

Extended Validation SSL Certificates give high-security web browsers information to clearly identify a web site’s organizational identity. VeriSign is an industry leading EV solution provider.  Our certificate provides a 128-bit minimum to 256-bit encryption."

but you are actually using a cheap Godaddy certificate. I see that one or more EV certificates from Verisign have been revoked.... Have you had a security incident that you should have warned customers about? Certificates don't just get revoked without a damn good reason, and I feel that this is something extremely important that you need to address.

The only public communication that I have been able to find in regards to this issue is a single Twitter message that says the following:

"‏@dwolla

Working with our partners at @verisign and @symantec to look into a certificate issue some of our users are reporting. Still secure."

but absolutely no communication after that message, posted on the 21st of July, 2012, 10 days ago.

I would appreciate your prompt response in regards to this matter so that I can be assured of your continued security and the security of any data about me that you have stored there.

Thank you and regards,

It's been 10 days since this incident, with nothing more said.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 01:43:13 AM

I quit using them months ago.  Still glad I did.  I hope this doesn't turn nasty for anyone exposed.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 05:08:29 PM

They responded with this:
Dwolla’s SSL certificate had a minor issue. The SSL certificate was purchased for one year, however, was given a two-year expiration date. This is part of our routine monitoring.

Dwolla realized this error and migrated the certificate to another vendor as an interim solution. Dwolla will revert to our old SSL vendor, a two-year, paid certificate, later this week.

So Verisign issued a 2 year cert, even though Dwolla only paid for one? That's odd, wonder if it was actually the other way around.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
niko

Activity: 756

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 08:27:21 PM

They responded with this:
Dwolla’s SSL certificate had a minor issue. The SSL certificate was purchased for one year, however, was given a two-year expiration date. This is part of our routine monitoring.

Dwolla realized this error and migrated the certificate to another vendor as an interim solution. Dwolla will revert to our old SSL vendor, a two-year, paid certificate, later this week.

So Verisign issued a 2 year cert, even though Dwolla only paid for one? That's odd, wonder if it was actually the other way around.
  See what Tux posted above. It was issued with a two-year validity. Apparently they revoke it if you miss a payment.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 08:30:58 PM

Apparently they revoke it if you miss a payment.
Interesting, most CAs that I have met require a payment for the full validity period, but maybe Verisign has a payment plan because they are so damn expensive for EV certs.

Also, epic fail not paying bills. Roll Eyes

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:47:45 PM

Apparently they revoke it if you miss a payment.
Interesting, most CAs that I have met require a payment for the full validity period, but maybe Verisign has a payment plan because they are so damn expensive for EV certs.

Also, epic fail not paying bills. Roll Eyes

A bank not paying their bills? Wow!

Good thing I am going with direct ACH payments when I can!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: