Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:22:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: u srs rosewill????  (Read 2322 times)
cmg5461 (OP)

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 10:01:18 PM

How do we know that this supply is multirail? I find nothing in the referenced article that claims that this is so.

But then again I didn't look very hard.

Lepa 1600w specs

There are no specs on the linked article?

Plus it has an 80 Plus Silver logo on it. The Lepa G1600 is an 80 Plus Gold unit.

That is correct, but lepa spiked my interest on the 6 rails it has.

If I've helped: 1CmguJhwW4sbtSMFsyaafikJ8jhYS61quz

Sold: 5850 to lepenguin. Quick, easy and trustworthy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AzN1337c0d3r

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 10:35:25 PM

Looks like the OEM for the Rosewill Hercules 1600W unit is Hipower and it will have two rails, 50A for CPU and 110A for everything else:

http://www.highpower-tech.com/eng/product_page.php?class=20100517145929&id=20120523113421#product

Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 06, 2012, 11:09:50 PM

If that 50A/110A is true than the Lepa would still be the better unit given it's 80+ Gold rating. Just have to actually pay attention when using the molex/sata to PCIE power adapters.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 08:10:47 AM

"Rosewill are aiming for a unique individual – one willing to pair a dual processor system with several GPUs that have tri 6-pin power connectors."

Lol, how about aiming for another unique individual - a miner running a Sempron and 6 GPUs. I agree, though, that the lack of single rail is a negative. 

I agree and disagree.  Singlre rail for that is very dangerous.  That would need some seriously thick wire to carry those amps safely.  I think it would be best to have it split into 2 rails, not 6.

Sir, you're a fail.

What does that even matter? You should never fully load a high amp rail with a single connector.

The same applies to 850w PSUs.

The main reason to have single rail was be able to pull the most out of the PSU. Having dedicated rail for unused parts such as CPU does not help.

cmg5461 (OP)

Activity: 369

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 10:08:13 AM

"Rosewill are aiming for a unique individual – one willing to pair a dual processor system with several GPUs that have tri 6-pin power connectors."

Lol, how about aiming for another unique individual - a miner running a Sempron and 6 GPUs. I agree, though, that the lack of single rail is a negative.  

I agree and disagree.  Singlre rail for that is very dangerous.  That would need some seriously thick wire to carry those amps safely.  I think it would be best to have it split into 2 rails, not 6.

Sir, you're a fail.

What does that even matter? You should never fully load a high amp rail with a single connector.

The main reason to have single rail was be able to pull the most out of the PSU. Having dedicated rail for unused parts such as CPU does not help.

Isn't that what I just said? read above that..

Yes, I saw them, but if you can't fully load those individual rails, it's power that will never be seen.

and two rails as in - cpu + 12v rail - 12v rail..

If I've helped: 1CmguJhwW4sbtSMFsyaafikJ8jhYS61quz

Sold: 5850 to lepenguin. Quick, easy and trustworthy.
NLA

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

How does I shot web?

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 05:40:02 PM

Screw Rosewill, my LEPA 1600W is small, quiet, and has a 80+ Gold rating. Cheesy

If my post helped you in some way, please donate to 1NP2HfabXzq1BB288ymbgnLcGoeBsF7ahP. Smiley
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 05:52:38 PM

I agree and disagree.  Singlre rail for that is very dangerous.  That would need some seriously thick wire to carry those amps safely.  I think it would be best to have it split into 2 rails, not 6.

Sir, you're a fail.

The issue isn't that you're loading one connector in normal operation, it's the lack of effective overcurrent protection in a fault condition. If you had a molex connector plugged into something and it developed a hard short from 12V to ground that doesn't burn through, you could easily melt the wire insulation without tripping OCP. Say it's at the end of a 80cm 18 gauge peripheral cable, with the wire resistance and contact resistance you could have short that's pulling 100A but not enough trip the protection. That's why the ATX spec limits the current drawn per rail.
AzN1337c0d3r

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 06:38:52 PM

That's why the ATX spec limits the current drawn per rail.

This was removed in ATX v2.3 specs

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 06:55:26 PM

That's why the ATX spec limits the current drawn per rail.

This was removed in ATX v2.3 specs

Yes, but it is the reason why we see so many X*20A rail designs. I personally prefer the single rail power supplies since they're a no-brainer with no rail balancing, but you do have accept the fact when using them that there's a greater possibility that a fault could cause substantial damage than there is with a design that limits the rails to 20A or 30A.
AzN1337c0d3r

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 07:00:32 PM

Yes, but it is the reason why we see so many X*20A rail designs. I personally prefer the single rail power supplies since they're a no-brainer with no rail balancing, but you do have accept the fact when using them that there's a greater possibility that a fault could cause substantial damage than there is with a design that limits the rails to 20A or 30A.

It's not just a convenience tradeoff as most make it out to be, it's also a cost tradeoff.

It is cost prohibitively expensive to put 20A current sensors on all rails for a condition (>20A & <100A) which rarely occurs in real life.

MrTeal
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 07:13:00 PM

It's not just a convenience tradeoff as most make it out to be, it's also a cost tradeoff.

It is cost prohibitively expensive to put 20A current sensors on all rails for a condition (>20A & <100A) which rarely occurs in real life.

Especially for these monstrous power supplies that require six rails to keep the current limit down. Still, considering the cost of a 1600W silver or gold PSU, I would say it's probably more of an added expense than cost prohibitive on the BOM. I'm not sure what this one will retail at, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it at retail for $300-$400.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: