Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:00:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Make Bitcoins "dissolve" after some time if not used?  (Read 2996 times)
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 10:29:52 PM

aye. I was referring to a digital bank... i'm sure after 2 years or so without account activity, the bank would try to get ahold of the owner... fail... take the account down, archive it, and liquidate the stored bitcoins :p

ZOMG Moo!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 10:37:21 PM

you might be right... if the account numbers are stored from the beginning until then... lost data could mean no reference to unused transfers.

ZOMG Moo!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 11:14:36 PM

As long as 8 digits isn't a hard limit, there's no problem at all. It's just that I haven't seen the code and I don't know how deeply embedded the 8 digit limit is in the system.

Yeah. The 8 digit limit is only in the official client, not in the protocol. You could write your own client to transfer a tenth or a hundredth or a zillionth of a satoshi if you wanted to. The designers probably chose 8 digits because they assumed that the client would be getting updated between now and bitcoin getting big enough to need more precision. Probably a safe assumption. At present, allowing more than 8 decimal places would really just be a waste of effort and memory.

Actually, the limit is part of the protocol, in effect.  It's an artifact of choosing a 64 bit integer to store the transaction values.  It can be overcome, however.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 05:31:38 AM

Making coins dissolve serves no good purpose. If coins are lost or go to waste, that hurts nobody but the holder of those specific coins. Holders of all other coins benefit from the reduction in coin supply as their coin value increases. The economy doesn't care, as prices merely re-adjust to the new quantity of money. I suppose it would hurt debtors because the value of the currency the owe has increased, but that's a great reason to not be a debtor =)

And, if Bitcoins truly respect property rights, then I have the right to sink my coins to the bottom of the ocean forever. Usage ought not be a pre-requisite of ownership.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: