Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:06:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wait.... what's wrong with "Obamacare"?  (Read 10120 times)
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 01:40:41 PM

I'm kind of confused on all the fuss over Obamacare. It doesn't appear to affect me or most other people living in the US except the government now endorses a wide range of private firms and advertises them on it's healthcare.gov site.

Before, I had a wide range of insurance options, but health insurance for my family would cost >20% of my monthly income, so fuck it.

Today, I have a wide range of insurance options, but health insurance for my family would cost >20% of my monthly income, so fuck it. (I'm not subject to the individual mandate fees because insurance would cost far more than "allowed" in applying the fee)

The only difference now is that people with high incomes and/or no children are now subject to an annual fee (the IRS claims they'll enforce this by withholding income tax redunds, but most people subject to the mandate fees aren't going to be getting a refund, so...) if they don't buy a particular financial service the government mandates. I don't understand the fuss over this... is there some beloved insurance company not being included on the government's health insurance Craigslist, or....?

I mean, yeah, I guess I can understand being offended that the government claims it has a right to do "this," but "this" doesn't appear to be anything significant. I'm working 40h/wk @ ~40% over minimum wage per hour, and shitty health insurance is still completely out of reach because.... well, I don't even know... because it's worth preserving the life of one person with a terminal illness for two years vs. extending the life of 1,000 people by two years each?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 01:50:57 PM

There are a lot problems with US people and one of main problems - health care is too expensive and people are using too much medicine, when they are old. Doctor expenses can not be so high - from here starts all problems with healthcare in USA - and also with Obamacare too.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 06:54:57 PM

I'm kind of confused on all the fuss over Obamacare. It doesn't appear to affect me or most other people living in the US except the government now endorses a wide range of private firms and advertises them on it's healthcare.gov site.

Before, I had a wide range of insurance options, but health insurance for my family would cost >20% of my monthly income, so fuck it.

Today, I have a wide range of insurance options, but health insurance for my family would cost >20% of my monthly income, so fuck it. (I'm not subject to the individual mandate fees because insurance would cost far more than "allowed" in applying the fee)

The only difference now is that people with high incomes and/or no children are now subject to an annual fee (the IRS claims they'll enforce this by withholding income tax redunds, but most people subject to the mandate fees aren't going to be getting a refund, so...) if they don't buy a particular financial service the government mandates. I don't understand the fuss over this... is there some beloved insurance company not being included on the government's health insurance Craigslist, or....?

I mean, yeah, I guess I can understand being offended that the government claims it has a right to do "this," but "this" doesn't appear to be anything significant. I'm working 40h/wk @ ~40% over minimum wage per hour, and shitty health insurance is still completely out of reach because.... well, I don't even know... because it's worth preserving the life of one person with a terminal illness for two years vs. extending the life of 1,000 people by two years each?

The only difference now is that people with high incomes and/or no children are now subject to an annual fee

Define high incomes. If your position is to defend the existence of the IRS, good for you.

Eventually the comfortable bubble you are in and your "The hell with anyone else hahaha! I am good" attitude is what this government was counting on to push that monstrosity by force. Also, the lying.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/18/politics/gruber-obamacare-promises/index.html

Hodl Life

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 01:38:10 AM

Obamacare hikes up costs while only benefitting 3.9 million people (who would pay higher premiums that they would have before).

It completely misses all important points in reducing healthcare costs. Pharma has their hand so far up the govt. ass they can move their mouth. It's pharma that hikes up prices of drugs. TORT reform is needed, what obamacare is exactly the opposite of that, that added more litigation for doctors adding to wait times and major inefficiencies in the healthcare system.

I work in the healthcare industry, for example in the ER a patient may be flown in from another hospital where a CAT scan may have been performed, but the new hospital has to do another one which adds massively to costs. Just an example of inefficiency.

I shouldn't to pay for birth control and higher risk individuals need to pay higher premiums as that is how the market works, we aren't all inherently equal and therefore aren't going to have the same risks.

Obamacare will cost millions of jobs and has caused tens of millions to lose their health insurance. It is a very poor piece of red tape litigation and government bureaucracy that will only add to the costs of healthcare.

All it is to get votes and people dependent on the government, this is why he wants millions of illegal aliens to enter the country because he wishes to help the democratic party have their voter base expand (since the republicans are the de facto middle class white people party).

Dems supported slavery, opposed civil rights, and now enslave the negro community as well as the hispanics in government dependence with welfare.

Don't let Michael Moore fool you into thinking Cuba has an amazing healthcare system.
Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:49:12 AM

IMO the biggest problem with Obamacare is the massive entitlement that it creates. It created a large number of taxes levied on most people, more taxes on the rich and on the medical/healthcare industry. The money from these taxes is used to fund the "free" or sometimes heavily discounted health insurance provided to people who choose to get insurance on the exchanges and whose incomes are up to 400% of poverty (which happens to exceed the median income).

Additionally the subsidies will create a burden on America as a whole because over the long term they will add to the deficit (ACA is only budget neutral because it uses 10 years of taxes to fund 6 years of entitlements)
UnunoctiumTesticles

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 10:22:59 AM

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/04/22/the-cadillac-tax-obama-will-all-your-benefits-as-part-of-obamacare/

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/06/05/obamacare-is-victory-for-insurance-companies/

http://armstrongeconomics.com/2014/11/12/obamacare-deliberately-written-with-33000-pages-of-regulations-to-hide-the-truth/
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 10:30:52 AM

You are being taxed just for being alive.

With the income tax you at least have a choice of not working. This is a tax on breathing.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 09:00:42 PM

With the income tax you at least have a choice of not working. This is a tax on breathing.

Correction:  This is a tax on breathing brought you by liars who believe you are too stupid to understand it is for your own good...

...The GRUBERING...

Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 09:33:11 PM

Correction:  This is a tax on breathing brought you by liars who believe you are too stupid to understand it is for your own good...

I'm more offended by the tax than how they got it passed. You can't blame ignorance and lies when a tax is being passed and people support it.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 11:10:45 PM

I'm more offended by the tax than how they got it passed. You can't blame ignorance and lies when a tax is being passed and people support it.

Sure. This link is for those who keep pretending to be ignorant about 0bamacare.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 11:23:10 PM

http://www.the-spearhead.com/2013/11/18/obamacare-is-a-bachelor-tax-that-will-fail/

Obamacare has a fatal flaw.  It requires the group that needs the least amount of health insurance on average to pay the most money compared to any other group for it.  That group is young men, particularly young single men, and young men have no reason to purchase health insurance under the Obamacare system.  For most young (single) men, the only health insurance they need is catastrophic insurance, but such a health insurance plan is considered “substandard” under Obamacare.  Health insurance plans under Obamacare have to include things that young (single) men will never use like maternity coverage.  Even though there are fines for not buying health insurance under Obamacare, young (single) men have less reason to purchase health insurance under Obamacare than they did before Obamacare.

You know, the typical leftist "we have to save the X (at the expense of young white males)" nonsense.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 01:16:32 AM

I'm kind of confused on all the fuss over Obamacare.....
Why?  It's dirt simple.  Obamacare cares for Obama....
Eisenhower34
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 01:43:47 AM

Well to be fair most of america saw right through the lies that were told to get Obamacare passed as the GOP saw massive gains in both chambers of congress in 2010, only a few short months after the ACA was passed.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:19:17 AM

Even a hardcore liberal like stewart gets what's wrong with 0bamacare...

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/jon-stewart-calls-obamas-latest-scandal-pretty-slimy

Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2014, 10:29:39 AM

Politician: "Something is bad"
Voter: "I don't like that!"
Politician: "I will fix it by taking money from you and spending it on whatever I want"
Voter: "Yay! I feel better now!"

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2014, 11:23:42 AM

Politician: "Something is bad"
Voter: "I don't like that!"
Politician: "I will fix it by taking money from you and spending it on whatever I want"
Voter: "Yay! I feel better now!"

LOL! That sums up mainstream politics quite well, also I'm a bit baffled by Obamacare myself, especially as I'm British, it just seems like a glorified price comparison site to me.
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 12:36:15 PM

*shrug* I'm excepted from withholding as well as the individual mandate and I definitely don't have the $200k+/yr Obamacare surtax. I have the joyous experience of filing as head of household with a dependent, refusing overtime because "fuck you, EITC pays me to sit on my ass." I get a 10% bonus to my "refund" by taking it as an Amazon GC and Michigan even refunds my property taxes.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2014, 01:16:29 PM

*shrug* I'm excepted from withholding as well as the individual mandate and I definitely don't have the $200k+/yr Obamacare surtax. I have the joyous experience of filing as head of household with a dependent, refusing overtime because "fuck you, EITC pays me to sit on my ass." I get a 10% bonus to my "refund" by taking it as an Amazon GC and Michigan even refunds my property taxes.

Good luck with that. I got out of paying by moving out of the US.

Eisenhower34
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:04:13 PM

As you can see, Obamacare gives people incentives not to work (or in your case work less) and although it may seem like you are getting "free money" your standard of living is going to be lower over the long term and will likely miss out on opportunities that would significantly increase your income. 
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:14:16 PM

As you can see, Obamacare gives people incentives not to work (or in your case work less) and although it may seem like you are getting "free money" your standard of living is going to be lower over the long term and will likely miss out on opportunities that would significantly increase your income. 

The standard of living of his/her kids will be even worse... And so forth.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: