Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:41:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: How have you earned your Bitcoins?  (Read 11519 times)
BrightAnarchist (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 05:05:16 AM

Thought I'd kick this one off because I'm so curious!

As for me:

(1) Posted videos on YouTube, with subcaption "if you liked this video, send me a bitcoin!"
(2) Selling stuff on biddingpond.com

How have you earned YOUR coins? Please share!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 05:06:25 AM

I earned most of my money trading on mtgox. Otherwise, I am trying for the software coding angle but I am impeded by my own laziness.

Willsway

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 03:52:07 PM

... I am impeded by my own laziness.
LoL, well no currency system is going to solve that particular problem Smiley. I found finding something to be passionate about solves this particular problem - good thing you found the Bitcoin movement then Wink.

I've only been involved with bitcoins for little over a week now, so I haven't had much time to implement any earnings instruments yet.

I have access to many products, so one of the first projects will be creating an online retail store to accept payments in bitcoin only.

I have some financial games in mind where trades would happen in bitcoin - the primary idea here is not to "earn" bitcoins, but rather to encourage some movement of bitcoins.

The following idea is a hobby of mine and does not really relate to the crux of this thread: I am currently putting together a solar powered machine to generate bitcoins - the idea is to process "green" bitcoins, making it the cleanest money in history Smiley Anyone know of some decent deep cycle batteries - it's all I'm missing.

BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 04:34:52 PM

earned half of them by generating blocks, half by selling L$.

still need more  Cheesy
but it looks like generating doesnt work anymore to raise my funds, i'm afraid i'll have to buy some for real money.

fresno

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 05:58:44 PM

earned half of them by generating blocks, half by selling L$.

still need more  Cheesy
but it looks like generating doesnt work anymore to raise my funds, i'm afraid i'll have to buy some for real money.

Um, where can you find real money any more? In a museum? /smartass question

I "generated" 100 Bitcoins in about two weeks. That was over a month ago. Running over 12 hours/day. I haven't "made" any since.

Bitcoin "generation" is a great feature for seeding the Bitcoin economy, but if you want enough to buy beer, you'll have to get them in some other way. Mine has been to trade "things" for Bitcoins. I have way too many things, and way too few Bitcoins.

BitLex

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 07:08:55 PM

well, meant real world currency (compared to the virtual L$, which is 'worthless' like bitcoins).

and i dont drink beer anyway.  Grin

fresno

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 09:47:29 PM

well, meant real world currency (compared to the virtual L$, which is 'worthless' like bitcoins).

Okay, then give me an example of a real world currency that is 'worth' something. /serious smartass question

The is not one currency today that has an intrinsic value. And you call Bitcoin worthless!

nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 10:10:45 PM

Okay, then give me an example of a real world currency that is 'worth' something. /serious smartass question

The is not one currency today that has an intrinsic value. And you call Bitcoin worthless!

Oho, oh no, no, no, no... Not that again! Please don't get yet another thread into the intrinsic value of things / is bitcoin a currency / why do my feet smell route. I was enjoying this one so far :p
BitLex

View Profile
August 19, 2010, 10:46:02 PM

one last reply of mine, or "my definition"  Grin

real money is what i have to pay tax for.
virtual money is what my tax office doesnt care about, it "doesn't exist" in the real world

if i exchange the virtual bitcoin (or L$) to the real EUR,
the non-existent turns into tax-related, that's the only difference i'm concerned about.

you can call it whatever you want.

fresno

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 12:50:46 AM

one last reply of mine, or "my definition"  Grin

real money is what i have to pay tax for.
virtual money is what my tax office doesnt care about, it "doesn't exist" in the real world

if i exchange the virtual bitcoin (or L$) to the real EUR,
the non-existent turns into tax-related, that's the only difference i'm concerned about.

you can call it whatever you want.

Fresno is about as far from Europe as you can get, and I never thought of money itself as a tax liability. How does that work?

Are you expecting to get something outside the "real world" and then take it back in tax-free, or do I misunderstand? Let's agree to call it whatever we want, outside the context of Bitcoin terminology.

This may be OT, but I'm interested.

nelisky: You shout me down, I shout you down. You want that?

nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 01:36:03 AM

This may be OT, but I'm interested.

nelisky: You shout me down, I shout you down. You want that?

Ouch, feelings were hurt, blood got spilled... I meant no harm there, fresno. Sorry if it came out way too harsh, I'm not shouting you down at all, far from that. I am, in fact, just stating my personal opinion on the fact that most of the threads I follow with interest tend to derail into semantics discussions. Nothing wrong with that, it's an open forum, but so much so other people not as interested in semantics, such as myself, feel the need to sometimes speak up.

Nothing personal, I think your opinions are very insightful even when I don't agree with them Smiley but, hey, just speaking my mind here.

PS: I kind of pictured the two of us in a dusty road at sunset, facing each other ready to go for the guns, silence all around broken by the sound of you saying, in a deep voice: "You shout me down, I shout you down. You want that?"
fresno

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 02:47:54 AM

I've already forgotten about it.

Sometimes semantics are important. I know something about law that definitely one, and probably only two of the others here know, and I'm trying to explain it in the best way I can. They're not jumping in, for whatever reason, so that leaves me to get the message across.

"Trust me. I have a plan."

BitLex

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 03:32:57 AM

Are you expecting to get something outside the "real world" and then take it back in tax-free, or do I misunderstand?
yeah, you totally missunderstood the whole statement.

it's not about what i expect or not,
it's just about how i differ between virtual and real money (i call the stuff we currently buy needful things with 'money').

it's what makes real life suck, you have to care about things.
your virtual life doesnt expect you to care about anything, all you have to loose is your "reputation".

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2010, 03:41:00 AM

Maybe we could call it "old money" instead of "real money" ;-)

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BitLex

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 04:08:51 AM

EURs for example aren't that old, actually.  Grin
and i personally don't know anyone that does NOT use it (and will for a long time), so why call it old?

Anonymous

August 20, 2010, 04:18:57 AM

The feds call the notes you pay your taxes in money or currency and this insures they dont send men with guns to kick down your door.Why would you want to conflate bitcoin with that extortion racket?If anyone asks you say that bitcoin is not money.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2010, 07:26:36 AM

The feds call the notes you pay your taxes in money or currency and this insures they dont send men with guns to kick down your door.Why would you want to conflate bitcoin with that extortion racket?If anyone asks you say that bitcoin is not money.

Pff, there was money before them and there will be money after they're done.

fresno

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 01:31:58 PM

If anyone asks you say that bitcoin is not money.

Right.

Except that we have right now several people spreading the word that Bitcoin IS money. And that it is worth xxx dollars. And that it is both a pudding AND a floor wax.

The best way to end this confusion is to realize that Bitcoin is a set of machine instructions to keep an economy organized, and nothing more. The trading and commerce that this enables is NOT Bitcoin.

Simple, and it helps you avoid questions.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2010, 08:10:33 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2010, 11:55:41 PM by FreeMoney

EURs for example aren't that old, actually.  Grin
and i personally don't know anyone that does NOT use it (and will for a long time), so why call it old?

If someone invented water powered, flying, swimming cars. Even the most recently produced normal car would be an "old car" :-)

Babylon

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 23, 2010, 07:47:06 PM

I have generated 150 bitcoins,  I wouldn't count those as earned though.  I have also earned 70 bitcoins for a tarot card reading (60 coin fee plus a 10 bitcoin tip) And I have purchased 200 bitcoins through MTgox.  I don't know if gaining bitcoins through speculation on MTgox and bitcoin market count as earning either, since you aren't really doing any productive labor.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2010, 08:01:54 PM

I bought most of my coins, generated 50 coins (2 months ago, since then nothing  Sad), earned some with donations for graphics I've made and I'm a lucky bastard with lottery's so taabl was pretty profitable to Cheesy

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
September 25, 2010, 01:41:10 AM

Got 5 free  Grin
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
September 25, 2010, 09:08:25 AM

It seems that generation of bitcoins has increased significantly again despite the difficulty being stable at 917.

What is the reason for this?
Are there some experts making loads of bitcoins = "money" with supercomuting power?

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2010, 09:48:41 AM

It seems that generation of bitcoins has increased significantly again despite the difficulty being stable at 917.

What is the reason for this?
Are there some experts making loads of bitcoins = "money" with supercomuting power?

Some people are using code written for GPUs now which are faster and more power efficient. There are a few threads about it.

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
September 25, 2010, 10:10:27 AM

thanks! sounds quite logical.

Hangers

October 13, 2010, 07:13:05 AM

Bitcoin P2P Cryptocurrency - Free - Open Source Software Project !

"Bitcoin is a peer-to-peer network based anonymous digital currency. Peer-to-peer (P2P) means that there is no central authority to issue new money or keep track of transactions. Instead, these tasks are managed collectively by the nodes of the network. Anonymity means that the real world identity of the parties of a transaction can be kept hidden from the public or even from the parties themselves. Advantages:

* Transfer money easily through the Internet, without having to trust middlemen.
* Third parties can’t prevent or control your transactions.
* Bitcoin transactions are practically free, whereas credit cards and online payment systems typically cost 1-5% per transaction plus various other merchant fees up to hundreds of dollars.
* Be safe from the unstability caused by fractional reserve banking and bad policies of central banks. The limited inflation of the Bitcoin system’s money supply is distributed evenly (by CPU power) throughout the network, not monopolized by the banks.

Bitcoin is an open source project created by Satoshi Nakamoto, and is currently in beta development stage. Bitcoin development is hosted at Sourceforge copid."
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658

View Profile
October 13, 2010, 07:23:25 AM

eeehhh.. Undecided
mpkomara

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2010, 07:25:54 AM

i think what Hangers might be saying is that without bitcoins he wouldn't have earned any bitcoins.  very meta.  very correct.  +1
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 01:07:31 AM

So far, I just bought them.

But I intend to sell some linux stickers very soon.  They will be very cheap, since I will sell them below my purchase price.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 01:18:55 AM

Mostly bitcoin spectulation.

Bitquux

Activity: 116

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 01:28:22 AM

Generated a couple hundred. Sold an iTunes card. Got one or two from Trick or Treat.

Donated a few. Gambled some away.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 09:40:28 PM

Poker Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: