Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:48:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Notice how BTC value is rising, since Bitcoinica is gone?  (Read 4064 times)
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 01:12:04 AM

I like these latest value rises for bitcoin. This would help the economy Smiley

What would bring you to that conclusion?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
randomproof

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 02:48:37 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2012, 03:00:41 AM by randomproof

I like these latest value rises for bitcoin. This would help the economy Smiley

What would bring you to that conclusion?
Yeah.  I'd say price stability is better that constant fluctuations up and down.  How can someone really invest in the economy if the exchange is always in flux.  The rising price is good in the short term but increases the likely-hood of a big sell off and price drop in the future.  That said, I would agree with shockD, Mt.Gox AML/KYC issues and also could be from lag in people pulling assets from Bitcoinica and moving them to other exchanges.

Donations to me:   19599Y3PTRF1mNdzVjQzePr67ttMiBG5LS
David_Benz (OP)
Donator

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

you got hacked bitch!

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 08:30:57 AM

I'm not sure how many people are trolling here. Or if thats what this whole thread is.

Um, I am no troll.  I believe the rise in BTC is because they are gone, for now.  Until they get Kronos up and running and you idiots give them your money.

You guys really have no idea about the underworld of BTC.  Things go on you have no idea about.

I am the Bitcoinica Hacker.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 12:43:27 PM

If the temporary inability to short is driving up prices, they will inevitably fall down again when somebody else sets up a large service that allows short selling.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 06:55:08 PM

I don't think that Bitcoinica created trends in prices, however, it amplified trends. If the price dropped $1, the margin calls and liquidation by Bitcoinica on the market would cause further drops. Volume also would be increased as margin trading gives traders more money to gamble with.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 07:17:08 PM

Bitcoinica was hiding volatility; not price.  If the market wants the price to rise, bitcoinica couldn't stop it.

In that sense, Bitcoinica damped not amplified.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 07:49:34 PM

Fact: Every single Bitcoin that got shorted had to be bought back at a later time.
Fact: Every single Bitcoin that got longed had to be sold back at a later time.

Result of those 2 facts: Bitcoinica's influence on the price can only be temporary. That is a fact. It's net effect will _always_ be zero in the long run.

What Bitcoinica _did_ provide was:
-Temporary downward pressure on rallies, preventing them from getting out of control. This may have effectively prevented Bitcoin bubble #2
-A way for businesses to hedge, protecting them from USD/BTC price swings when dealing in BTC. You don't have to be an economic genius to see the value in this. BTC will never appeal to serious businesses if they can't protect themselves against these kind of risks.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 08:26:29 PM

Pure speculation here, of course, but it would also make sense that being required to submit identification to Mtgox in order to withdraw funds via dwolla has resulted in fewer sellers/sellers wanting to sell for a bit more due to the extra annoyance and potential security issues involved with sending scans of their ID to Mtgox.

I know I've stopped selling there as I'm not comfortable submitting scans of my identification to Mtgox.

When are they supposed to start this? I haven't been prompted by them to submit any identification.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 09:39:51 PM

Fact: Every single Bitcoin that got shorted had to be bought back at a later time.
Fact: Every single Bitcoin that got longed had to be sold back at a later time.

Result of those 2 facts: Bitcoinica's influence on the price can only be temporary. That is a fact. It's net effect will _always_ be zero in the long run.

What Bitcoinica _did_ provide was:
-Temporary downward pressure on rallies, preventing them from getting out of control. This may have effectively prevented Bitcoin bubble #2
-A way for businesses to hedge, protecting them from USD/BTC price swings when dealing in BTC. You don't have to be an economic genius to see the value in this. BTC will never appeal to serious businesses if they can't protect themselves against these kind of risks.

Agree, but with the caveat that damping the swings in the general market will probably boost the price in the long run from increased confidence, ease of planning and hedging.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 09:47:25 PM

If there was any truth to this, we would be witnessing a disaster now with Bitcoinica gone for weeks because the merchants can’t hedge via that bucket shop.

Instead, noone except a few gamblers even cares. Nothing really happened, so nothing of value was lost.

I agree that we need a good vehicle to go short Bitcoin though.
shockD

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 11:46:39 PM

Pure speculation here, of course, but it would also make sense that being required to submit identification to Mtgox in order to withdraw funds via dwolla has resulted in fewer sellers/sellers wanting to sell for a bit more due to the extra annoyance and potential security issues involved with sending scans of their ID to Mtgox.

I know I've stopped selling there as I'm not comfortable submitting scans of my identification to Mtgox.

When are they supposed to start this? I haven't been prompted by them to submit any identification.

They started it on the 25th of May: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82328.0

That's for dwolla deposit/withdrawal only, but that is (or was) a highly popular funding/withdrawal option for USD for US users.

teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 02:01:09 AM

Did you guys all forget that bitcoinica did the starfish routinely..

Your all speaking as though bitcoinica worked like it was meant to, but it didnt..

Not even close...

Prices didnt move naturally in any direction due to the starfish.. 

In a perfect world.. yes it would have dampened, but its not perfect world, and bitcoinica snuffed raises in price due to the starfish..

Anyone that thinks bitcoinica worked as though it was intended is living in a dream world..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1136
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2012, 05:07:47 AM

Did you guys all forget that bitcoinica did the starfish routinely..

Your all speaking as though bitcoinica worked like it was meant to, but it didnt..

Not even close...

Prices didnt move naturally in any direction due to the starfish.. 

In a perfect world.. yes it would have dampened, but its not perfect world, and bitcoinica snuffed raises in price due to the starfish..

Anyone that thinks bitcoinica worked as though it was intended is living in a dream world..

This exactly  Grin

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
realnowhereman

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 07:37:15 AM

Since they started paying interest the starfish made only the most fleeting of appearances.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 01:30:16 AM

Since they started paying interest the starfish made only the most fleeting of appearances.

Yes, the starfish appeared..

And everytime it appeared, it was a flashing lit up sign that said where everyone was going..  and abused in that manner

It didnt work folks..   it was a poorly implemented service...   Clearly..

Now with it gone, the market can move naturally..  and in a sense privately, with no crazy lit up flashing sign indicators for people to screw with

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 04:07:58 PM

Some people say (I use that like Fox News to avoid libel) that Bitcoinica purposefully fluctuated the price with large amounts of buys or sells in order to knock people out of their highly leveraged trades.

Say there are 1000 people on Bitcoinica leveraged at 10:1 at 4.9 with enough Bitcoin to cover a drop of .2 BTC while there are 200 people leveraged at 10:1 to short at 4.9 with enough to cover a rise of .2. Bitcoinica jumps on MtGox and sells a buttload of BTC making the price drop to 4.6. All 1000 people just lost their positions and got Zhouted. Those 200 people start to get excited but what always happened? It shoots right back up. Bam, it is now at 5.0 and now Bitcoinica has 200 people leveraged at 10:1 at 4.9 to short while the price is at 5.0...another little bump up...bam, they get Zhouted.

Bitcoinica now has everyone's coins that they originally received with no payouts. They can now take those BTC and put it back into MtGox to put toward some even larger swings in price for the next victims.

Sure, not everyone was hedged at 10:1 and may have had more of a swing covered. Some may have even jumped off during one of the crazy swings at the right time and made a bit of money. But all they had to do was keep an eye on how much of a swing was necessary to make the most people lose leverage and strike when the timing was right.

Some people called these swings "the manipulator".

Am I against the concept of Bitcoinica and leveraged shorts/longs? No. I agree that it is healthy.

How have those big swings been since Bitcoinica went away?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
waspoza

Activity: 602

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 04:35:52 PM

How have those big swings been since Bitcoinica went away?

They went away some time before the hack. Market is maturing, thats all.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: