Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:39:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please start a BTC for physical gas card business  (Read 3786 times)
rodeoclownicp (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 11:03:01 PM

Could somebody please start selling physical Gas cards for btc. i dont have the time to get something started, but i am sure it would be a nice little niche for somebody. there was a site but it hasnt been active for almost a year- so its open to whomever

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Billbags

Activity: 280

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 06:32:22 PM

Yes, that's the one thing the Gyft card doesn't offer...we need this added.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
rodeoclownicp (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 05:19:56 AM

Yes, that's the one thing the Gyft card doesn't offer...we need this added.

ya- email them.. and push them to do it.. they are just lazy and not even trying- i told them a year ago to do it
rodeoclownicp (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 05:23:25 AM

Would be nice.
+1.

Solid idea.

it would cut down on the need to convert btc ... keep the cash you would spend on gas and use your btc for gas... it would keep the value of btc high as well.... thanx for the plus 1

hell if somebody went to the store and bought a bunch and just started selling them it would work
jeffersonian2012

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 05:58:41 AM

This would be very helpful because my biggest expenses are food and gas. Once there is an easy solution to buy these things using BTC then I wouldn't have to worry about having too much fiat!
rodeoclownicp (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 06:49:39 AM

This would be very helpful because my biggest expenses are food and gas. Once there is an easy solution to buy these things using BTC then I wouldn't have to worry about having too much fiat!

no worries, just give your oversupply currency to me  Grin

stop spamming
kimosan

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 01:49:13 PM

This is a good idea actually.. can't believe one of the serial btc entrepreneurs hasn't started this yet. 
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 04:36:37 AM

I might be interested in doing this. What kind of gas cards would you want to have available?

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
rodeoclownicp (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 04:39:06 AM

I might be interested in doing this. What kind of gas cards would you want to have available?

finally, i want sunoco the most but bp, marathon, speedway, schell, mobil/711, texaco

i put them in order of most desired. let me know i will try to drum up some business

the best selling point would be for people that convert coin into cash could now keep there cash and trade coin for gas!!
Razick
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 09:40:26 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2014, 10:14:27 PM by Razick

finally, i want sunoco the most but bp, marathon, speedway, schell, mobil/711, texaco

i put them in order of most desired. let me know i will try to drum up some business

the best selling point would be for people that convert coin into cash could now keep there cash and trade coin for gas!!

I definitely like the idea, but here's a few questions to consider:

- What kind of markup would I be able to charge and still make it a good deal for customers?
- What about shipping costs? An uninsured envelope wouldn't cost much, but there is a risk of not receiving your order...
- Should I offer insurance? This could be an optional add on to orders.
- Would you like to have the option of refillable cards? That way you could send more Bitcoin and I'd just refill the cards with a small fee.
- What sizes do you see yourself purchasing most often?

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2014, 10:22:53 PM

Gas cards should be (or maybe they are) treated like credit and debit cards; they can't be used right out of the envelope, you have to call an automated activation service and put in the last 4 of your TIN, billing phone number, etc. Then as long as the thief doesn't know that, it wouldn't matter if card is stolen.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
rodeoclownicp (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 12:18:09 AM

Gas cards should be (or maybe they are) treated like credit and debit cards; they can't be used right out of the envelope, you have to call an automated activation service and put in the last 4 of your TIN, billing phone number, etc. Then as long as the thief doesn't know that, it wouldn't matter if card is stolen.

well when i say gas cards i mean a gift card but for a gas station- i am just trying to be able to buy a gift card for places that sell gas which are very common. just like a restaurant or clothing store gift card-
Razick
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 12:29:28 AM

well when i say gas cards i mean a gift card but for a gas station- i am just trying to be able to buy a gift card for places that sell gas which are very common. just like a restaurant or clothing store gift card

How do you like the idea of buying a re-loadable card for a small one time fee and being able to add money at any time (there would be a delay before the funds are added, but usually within 12-24 hours) by sending money to a Bitcoin address?

There would be a one time fee of about $7.50 or so per card (including shipping) and after that a small (3% or so) fee to reload the card. About $3 of the fee would be direct expenses (the card companies charge fees and there is shipping to me and then to you.). So $4.50 - $5 would be profit and then the 3% fee would be partially profit and partially expenses such as running the website.

Only some brands (namely Shell) offer re-loadable cards though.

Here's the list of stations I plan to offer based on how common the stations are nationwide.:

Priorities (Shell and Exxon are common in all 50 states):

Shell
Exxon Mobile

If they seem to be selling I'll add these:

Chevron
Bp

And these and some others would be added if there is enough demand.

Sunoco
Phillips 66

rodeoclownicp (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 01:25:02 AM

well when i say gas cards i mean a gift card but for a gas station- i am just trying to be able to buy a gift card for places that sell gas which are very common. just like a restaurant or clothing store gift card

How do you like the idea of buying a re-loadable card for a small one time fee and being able to add money at any time (there would be a delay before the funds are added, but usually within 12-24 hours) by sending money to a Bitcoin address?

There would be a one time fee of about $7.50 or so per card (including shipping) and after that a small (3% or so) fee to reload the card. About $3 of the fee would be direct expenses (the card companies charge fees and there is shipping to me and then to you.). So $4.50 - $5 would be profit and then the 3% fee would be partially profit and partially expenses such as running the website.

Here's the list of stations I plan to offer based on how common the stations are nationwide.:

Shell
Exxon Mobile

Chevron
Bp

Sunoco
Phillips 66

way to go- i will try and help get the word out - as well as be a customer- just a thought - may even help simplify- what if i get my own card for sunoco and you load it for me. i was not aware of reloadable- also i would be happy with cards that already bought with a set amount (25,50,100) that are just shipped to me- almost like you just buy them and sell them for btc - i am just throwing some stuff out there
Razick
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 01:33:01 AM

Shell
Exxon Mobile

Chevron
Bp

Sunoco
Phillips 66

way to go- i will try and help get the word out - as well as be a customer- just a thought - may even help simplify- what if i get my own card for sunoco and you load it for me. i was not aware of reloadable- also i would be happy with cards that already bought with a set amount (25,50,100) that are just shipped to me- almost like you just buy them and sell them for btc - i am just throwing some stuff out there

Sounds great. I am working on a website right now. I will probably buy a bulk order of refillable shell cards to start to help lower shipping costs. Sunoco doesn't have refillable cards, but I would still be happy to sell them. The only thing is that I don't want to order a bunch in advance since I don't have Sunoco stations where I live.

Razick
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 03:41:59 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2014, 03:59:16 AM by Razick

I am offering pre-orders for Shell cards on this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=879159.msg9703987#msg9703987

I am happy to sell other cards as well but I can't keep a big stock because cash is tight.  Wink

samuelseidel

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 03:11:27 PM

It looks like good idea. Good Luck!
Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1512

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 11:35:12 PM

This sounds interesting. It would be nice to buy gas cards at a 1:1 rate but that would probably involve a whole company.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 11:37:47 PM

gas stations and bitcoin are a perfect fit. Read an article a while ago that gas stations pay more in credit card fees than they make in profit.
Convicted2008

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 01:55:01 AM

I think I may get involved in this somehow. I live beside 3 major gas stations. Shell, Speedway, and Thortons.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: