Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:20:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Dark Wallet make Dark Coin Irrelevant?  (Read 1237 times)
jetson111 (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:21:19 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2014, 03:32:23 AM by jetson111

Dark Wallet will basically do for BitCoin what Dark Coin does, right?
So, why would anyone want or need Dark Coin?
I am asking as a Dark Coin purchaser, wondering if it will be developed out of existence by Dark Wallet and other similar tools.
Thanks,
JT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JimDowJones

Activity: 51

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:34:16 AM

With the main feature closed source, was Dark Coin relevant in the first place? Do the ten other coin mixers make Dark Coin irrelevant?
jetson111 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 03:40:48 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2014, 03:54:54 AM by jetson111

Forgive this if it is a stupid question, Newbie here. The fact that a place like CoinBase does not plan on adding things like Dark Coin made me think on it. It is just that I really like the idea of Dark Coin. Plus, if coin mixers aren't integrated in the use of BitCoin what difference will they make? My point is that simplicity is the key to adoption IMO and adding steps to a process is just annoying. Having a coin that mixes for you cuts out an extra step or so of having to set up a mixer.
Thanks,
JT

PS- Holycow the customer service on Bitfinex.com is horrid.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:49:11 AM

With the main feature closed source, was Dark Coin relevant in the first place? Do the ten other coin mixers make Dark Coin irrelevant?

Orly?

https://github.com/darkcoin/darkcoin
JimDowJones

Activity: 51

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 08:12:04 AM

Orly?

https://github.com/darkcoin/darkcoin

Is this the reason every coin released last month had some kind of anonsend integration?
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 09:31:52 AM

Dark Wallet will basically do for BitCoin what Dark Coin does, right?
So, why would anyone want or need Dark Coin?
I am asking as a Dark Coin purchaser, wondering if it will be developed out of existence by Dark Wallet and other similar tools.
Thanks,
JT

a) Would you trust a browser plug-in/addon with your funds...I wouldnt with the amount of exploits that could steal your funds.
b) Darkwallet is a centralized mixing service...a single server is performing the mixing. If this server is compromised all the mixing could be unscrambled. Darkcoin has over 1000+ of these mixing servers that get sent through multiple rounds of mixing through random servers (up to Cool which makes it infinitely more anonymous.
c) Darkwallet is relying in archaic and ancient BTC technology...Darkcoin is introducing features such as instant transactions etc.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg.
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 09:58:05 AM

Forgive this if it is a stupid question, things like Dark Coin made me think on it. It is just that I really like the idea of Dark Coin.

Why the hell would you even go near Darkcoin? No offence, but it's kind of like comparing Sean Hannity to Bill O'Reilly.  Sad  Birds of a feather: They're both catastrophically awful at anonymity.

It's really annoying because you see all these ignorant newbie movements forming that prophesise some vague anti-government pro-libertarian narrative, but which in actuality is just walking straight into the hands of the NSA.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 10:02:52 AM

Forgive this if it is a stupid question, things like Dark Coin made me think on it. It is just that I really like the idea of Dark Coin.

Why the hell would you even go near Darkcoin? No offence, but it's kind of like comparing Sean Hannity to Bill O'Reilly.  Sad  Birds of a feather: They're both catastrophically awful at anonymity.

It's really annoying because you see all these ignorant newbie movements forming that prophesise some vague anti-government pro-libertarian narrative, but which in actuality is just walking straight into the hands of the NSA.

Question for you, can any computer that you can actually use and that is online be safe from the NSA? If, so, what kind?
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 10:50:30 AM

Why the hell would you even go near Darkcoin? No offence, but it's kind of like comparing Sean Hannity to Bill O'Reilly.  Sad  Birds of a feather: They're both catastrophically awful at anonymity.

Question for you, can any computer that you can actually use and that is online be safe from the NSA? If, so, what kind?

Well... nobody really knows because few of us in this game know what kind of tech the NSA or other foreign governments actually use.

The only variables we have available to analyse are on our side - that is to say the variables that pertain to the specific system or coin that we are using. And in that department, we have enormous amounts of data and options that (with a healthy dose of reason and rationality) can sort out which are better options and which are demonstrably risky options.

It may well be impossible to defeat the technology of any superpower. But that doesn't mean you should ever give up the task of trying to defend yourself as best you can.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 12:11:13 PM

Well... nobody really knows because few of us in this game know what kind of tech the NSA or other foreign governments actually use.

The only variables we have available to analyse are on our side - that is to say the variables that pertain to the specific system or coin that we are using. And in that department, we have enormous amounts of data and options that (with a healthy dose of reason and rationality) can sort out which are better options and which are demonstrably risky options.

It may well be impossible to defeat the technology of any superpower. But that doesn't mean you should ever give up the task of trying to defend yourself as best you can.

What cryptographic shennanigans you employ is meaningless the moment TPTB decide they're going to throw you into a hole and introduce you to a pair of pliers.

Darkcoin is plenty good enough for 99.999% of use cases and built on the Bitcoin API. Add upcoming instant transactions and it looks like a winner to me. Masternodes are getting stealthed in the near future too.

To answer the OP, Dark Wallet is a trusted (meaning, you have to trust them not to fuck up or steal your coins) single point of failure timebomb. Darkcoin is a distributed (over 1000 servers worldwide), trustless (meaning you don't have to trust it, ever, with your money, your money can't get stolen) solution.
jetson111 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:06:22 PM

Thank you for the kind replies guys, much appreciated, Crouton thanks, much appreciated, I get the whole 'trusted' and 'trustless' thing. The Masternodes being stealthed in the near future seems very interesting. The developers are really doing whatever they can do to make it work, at least that is how it looks from a Newbie point of view.

Do you folks think that the instant transactions will make Dark Coin more apt to be adopted?
Will BitCoin ever be able to complete instant transactions?

Just to get this clear, so, BitCoin will never have the same capability as Dark Coin regarding the anonymity or can that be built in later? Why buy Dark Coin? I have no idea, just attracted to it, the ideas behind it, what it is trying to do. Great logic, no, but it is what I am doing. My original post was partly because I have been considering selling my Dark, but I am now going to keep on my present path, for now.  Every month I split only $350 between BitCoin and Dark Coin buys. I like them both for different reasons. Could I lose all of my money in Dark? Sure, but even though I am not rich I thankfully am not poor, a few thousand does not change my life.
If Dark Coin does well then that could be interesting for me though.

OT: The new ALT Coins that keep coming out IMO hurt what BitCoin, Dark Coin and other legit coins are trying to do, it dilutes other coins. It is crazy how many currencies are on Cryptsy.com. Anyone agree or disagree?
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:41:25 PM

Thank you for the kind replies guys, much appreciated, Crouton thanks, much appreciated, I get the whole 'trusted' and 'trustless' thing. The Masternodes being stealthed in the near future seems very interesting. The developers are really doing whatever they can do to make it work, at least that is how it looks from a Newbie point of view.

Do you folks think that the instant transactions will make Dark Coin more apt to be adopted?
Will BitCoin ever be able to complete instant transactions?

Just to get this clear, so, BitCoin will never have the same capability as Dark Coin regarding the anonymity or can that be built in later? Why buy Dark Coin? I have no idea, just attracted to it, the ideas behind it, what it is trying to do. Great logic, no, but it is what I am doing. My original post was partly because I have been considering selling my Dark, but I am now going to keep on my present path, for now.  Every month I split only $350 between BitCoin and Dark Coin buys. I like them both for different reasons. Could I lose all of my money in Dark? Sure, but even though I am not rich I thankfully am not poor, a few thousand does not change my life.
If Dark Coin does well then that could be interesting for me though.

OT: The new ALT Coins that keep coming out IMO hurt what BitCoin, Dark Coin and other legit coins are trying to do, it dilutes other coins. It is crazy how many currencies are on Cryptsy.com. Anyone agree or disagree?

I think InstanTX will spur adoption greatly - no more waiting hours to get your money onto an exchange to trade = less money left on exchanges for the exchange owners to abuse with their bots or outright steal, for a start. Makes POS solutions real-world viable. And because the transaction lock can be set long as well as short, it could form the basis for smart contracts too. Darkcoin already does multisig exactly like Bitcoin, add a fancy GUI and you have DarkCounterparty...

Bitcoin will never go anon for political reasons, and InstanTX requires a Masternode network, which only DRK has.

Darkcoin isn't perfect, but it's evolving at a hell of a rate and doing everything right, openly and transparently. Mistakes and setbacks have happened, and have been learned from. The dev team is growing, hard working, and committed.

About market dilution, remember that this piddling little world of ours isn't the real market, this is just the testing ground. The real market is out there in the big bad, Jo Public and Jo's grandma, big business, etc. We have barely begun to scratch the surface of that yet.
var53

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 05:42:52 PM

IMO there are too many cut and paste shit coins on cryptsy, but most of them have no sales volume after the initial pump. Even the initial attempted pump is often a damp squib. I doubt many of them are taking much money out of decent alts.
var53

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 06:09:38 PM

What if the dark wallet developers have pressure put on them by the authorities and stop developing? Are there others prepared to take over?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: