Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:57:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Logistics of Accepting Bitcoin Donations?  (Read 1357 times)
carbonpenguin (OP)

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:03:31 PM

I was going to just put an address on my blog, but I remember reading somewhere that doing so is a bad security practice. Is there a simple plug-and-play widget out there that generates random addresses that would be easy to put on a blogspot blog?
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 06:10:56 PM

I used the mybitcoin merchant tools to create an encrypted link (see the Tip Jar at the top of the BitBrew site).

Still around.
carbonpenguin (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:19:31 PM

Nice - I'll give that a try.
bittersweet

Activity: 222

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:22:24 PM

I was going to just put an address on my blog, but I remember reading somewhere that doing so is a bad security practice.

For donations? It's not. Unless you don't want other people to know how much donations you received.
If you use a single address for all donations it can be easily checked.

If you sell something it gets more complicated because you must be sure who paid you.

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
carbonpenguin (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:36:46 PM

I'd read somewhere it was vulnerable to a "man-in-the-middle" attack. Not sure what that means, but I figured it'd be good to be careful.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:37:52 PM

I'd read somewhere it was vulnerable to a "man-in-the-middle" attack. Not sure what that means, but I figured it'd be good to be careful.

Well, if somebody can modify your web page without permission, than it is vulnerable to a "man-in-the-middle" attack.

rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 06:38:48 PM

Well, if somebody can modify your web page without permission, than it is vulnerable to a "man-in-the-middle" attack.

Meaning they can change your address to their address and donations that were meant for you will go to them.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 12:44:58 AM

To be completely sure you get all the donations you deserve, you should put the donation address on an https:// page.

Otherwise hackers can hijack http: pages if they can insert themselves into the network between you and your web visitors, and replace the donation address on the webpage with their bitcoin address.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: