Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:31:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie from US, confused how to buy bitcoins  (Read 2790 times)
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 09:20:32 PM

Mail me $11, I'll send you 2 BTC.

You don't need to go through exchanges and such, like other currencies, you can sell stuff to obtain Bitcoins or trade with individuals.

The typical route though is to transfer USD currency into a currency exchange, complete a trade, and withdraw Bitcoins to your wallet address.

Sent you some loose change.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drudgeboat (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 11:18:26 PM

Drudgeboat,

If you have downloaded the Bitcoin client, I will send you .01 BTC to get you started.  It's not much, but it's something Smiley

Just post your Bitcoin address and it will be on its way.

The Joint, that is very generous of you, thank you!  Grin my address is 1CeoBMn9Qn7wygecmBybQ5WCRLDxrcoQnq

.01 BTC sent Smiley

Mail me $11, I'll send you 2 BTC.

You don't need to go through exchanges and such, like other currencies, you can sell stuff to obtain Bitcoins or trade with individuals.

The typical route though is to transfer USD currency into a currency exchange, complete a trade, and withdraw Bitcoins to your wallet address.

Sent you some loose change.

WOW such a generous Community! Thank you both! Cheesy

OK, so I have the Bitcoin Client Wallet from here - http://bitcoin.org/ . The address I gave you fine folks was the address it listed for me under "receive coins" tab. The coins you guys sent me have not appeared however. Does this just take some time to propagate, or did I mess up somewhere? Also my wallet is still synchronizing with network (although it's about 98% done).

I decided to buy a MoneyPak card to trade for coins with someone on here. What should I do to ensure the trade goes smoothly? Do I just give him a newly generated address and he deposits it right in my wallet?

Thanks!!!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 11:24:22 PM

When it finishes synchronizing you'll see the coins, don't worry.

Yes, generate a new address for every received transaction, that way it will be easier for you to keep track of who paid you what.
Only deal with trusted sellers, the ones with good reputation, remember.
drudgeboat (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 11:35:43 PM

When it finishes synchronizing you'll see the coins, don't worry.

Yes, generate a new address for every received transaction, that way it will be easier for you to keep track of who paid you what.
Only deal with trusted sellers, the ones with good reputation, remember.

Thank you for all your help Psy Smiley I appreciate it.

So it is is safe for me to do business while my wallet is still syncing? Or is it best to wait until it is finished? I assume it doesn't really matter (since it seems like the transaction would just be tagged on the end of the update regardless) but maybe for peace of minds sake..
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 11:39:44 PM

You don't need to wait to use your Bitcoin addresses. It's only that before the synching ends, or until it reaches the blocks where the transactions were confirmed you won't see them in your wallet and be able to spend them. But you can se them in a block explorer site.

For instance, the address where the kind people here sent you those little bitcoin gifts, you can see it here: http://blockchain.info/address/1CeoBMn9Qn7wygecmBybQ5WCRLDxrcoQnq
See the money already there? Wink
drudgeboat (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2012, 12:20:08 AM

You don't need to wait to use your Bitcoin addresses. It's only that before the synching ends, or until it reaches the blocks where the transactions were confirmed you won't see them in your wallet and be able to spend them. But you can se them in a block explorer site.

For instance, the address where the kind people here sent you those little bitcoin gifts, you can see it here: http://blockchain.info/address/1CeoBMn9Qn7wygecmBybQ5WCRLDxrcoQnq
See the money already there? Wink

Thank you!

I just wanted to take a minute and say I really appreciate how helpful, friendly and outright generous this community is! Not only did you all help out so much with my nooby questions, but 3 of you were awesome enough to even give me a bit of coins to start. You guys ROCK! Smiley

I have just finished my first real trade transaction and should hopefully have some full coins in my wallet soon. I'm excited to explore the world of bitcoins!

Best regards and I'll be sure to tell my friends to come here if the are ever curious. Smiley

circuitloss

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 04:21:20 AM

That's really cool Drudge
adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 02:09:04 PM

Some small coins for you: https://www.instawallet.org/w/C2dIGoVrXbaaEe6DZgEPYx1IzjvN4OCUw
You can use this wallet if you like, but never put much in it.

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 02:13:37 PM

Step 1. Set up Mt.Gox account

Step 2. Go to bit instant and send coins to your name at Mt.Gox

Step 3. Bring your payment slip to one of the 700k banks, stores, etc. and pay.

By the time you get home your Mt.Gox account will be funded.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 03:10:22 PM

I think you missed the part where he said the closest bitinstant deposit place was at a 45 min. drive from him lol
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 03:40:08 PM

I think you missed the part where he said the closest bitinstant deposit place was at a 45 min. drive from him lol
Oops, I did miss that.  Embarrassed  Although it still may be the quickest option.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
TheDarkBanker

Activity: 43

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 08:32:33 PM

intersango doesn't seem to be accepting new members. Can anyone recommend another painless USD to BTC exchange? One that works with say, direct deposit wire transfers and sepa transfers?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: