Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:13:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to mine on Linux?  (Read 18033 times)
Clarithium (OP)

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 07:35:54 PM

I downloaded linux coin and I am completely lost..

I have absolutely no clue how to do command-line based mining I have only used the poclbm gui miner on windows.  How do you setup the miners step by step, including downloading and getting the AMD 2.4 SDK up and running?

Currently it looks like theres phoenix and poclbm on this Linuxcoin distribution..

Help? D:

Card = 5770

I make websites for bitcoins! Will help you host!Click Here
Bitcoin Mining Rigs
1CrNUxx8E9ds1jQ1dexp9FFjhcuUqupdmN
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 01:42:44 AM

Don't bother with LinuxCoin at this time, if you are not a Linux expert.  It's incredibly difficult to setup for a newbie and is, in fact, quite a bit more difficult than a basic Ubuntu install.

Follow this guide to get yourself going:  http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7514.0

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
bitlock

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 11:46:06 PM

Thanks for the link.

If I just want a command line linux install - no desktop - what is the simplest linux install, i can probably figure it  out from the link, but thought I'd ask - machine will not be used for anything but mining....

Distro's most familiar with are Gentoo and Centos (leaning towards)
bitlock

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 12:52:08 AM

Found Linuxcoin..... I might try it.....
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7374.0

If not ubuntu or Centos
grndzero

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 01:20:18 AM

Thanks for the link.

If I just want a command line linux install - no desktop - what is the simplest linux install, i can probably figure it  out from the link, but thought I'd ask - machine will not be used for anything but mining....

You have to have a desktop running to mine. You don't have to use it, you can do everything from the command line once it's set up but it does have to be set up and working properly with your video card(s).

Ubuntu is quite popular here, it would be much easier to get support for here if something isn't working.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
Viceroy

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:03:05 AM

sorry for raising the dead but someone reading this thread might find it useful....

centos 6 based dedicated bitcoin mining rig
salfter

Activity: 651

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 04:14:47 AM

Thanks for the link.

My mining rig runs Gentoo. It's ideal for the purpose, as you don't need to install much more on top of the base install than an X server and the driver for your GPUs. I start X in a screen session and run cgminer in another. The rig's in a closet, with just power and network cables plugged in.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
jhansen858

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 05:33:46 AM

Just throwing this out there...

Just yesterday, I attempted to setup my 4x 5970's in linux after about a year break.  I use linux on my main computer and am a linux admin for hundreds of boxes and have been using it for years.  I spent from 5pm (right after work) till 1am trying to get my mother fucking 4 cards to mine properly in linux.  Finally gave up due to running out of time.   And this is the 2nd time I have gone through this.  The first time about 2 years ago, it took me about 4 days to get it all working properly.  So This time around i remembered basically how I did it the first time thinking I would be able to power through it. 

Next day I said fuck it, installed windows, and installed guiminer and that shit was literally up in less then 30 minutes.  (installing windows and everything)

I have to say as much as I hate to admit it, windows, you win this round. 

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
Viceroy

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 03:17:46 PM

Next day I said fuck it, installed windows, and installed guiminer and that shit was literally up in less then 30 minutes.  (installing windows and everything)

Yea, but the windows miners suck.  I get half the hash rate when in windows which I assume is related to the massive overhead of windows.  I agree it's a pain the ass to get this working under linux.  The main problem I see is that not all the cards come online when you boot.  I find myself booting and rebooting and moving monitor cables around and rebooting until finally I see all my cards.  I am about to start testing older versions of centos, centos 5.  I know that once it's up and running it's solid.  Getting bootup to identify all the cards is something different.  I'm also planning on tring xming to see if I can't log into the windows box remotely and run bfgminer. 

guiminer on windows NEVER seems to get my cards up to speed, running near 1/2 speed.
bfgminer on windows does just the opposite, running my cards so hard the OS reboots.
(my cards are dual-gpu cards and I dream of placing more than three in a system at one time).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: