Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:14:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not to be impolite, but has development stalled a bit?  (Read 1282 times)
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 01:53:18 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2014, 11:17:26 PM by oda.krell

I'm just wondering because I remember reading about adding a USD exchange rate based conversion feature (e.g. tell Electrum to transfer X USD and the client will transfer X*current rate in BTC) a long time ago, but so far, it hasn't been implemented.

I continue recommending Electrum to friends as the single best lightweight client for new users (and old users as well), but it looks like there's a bit of a slow down in updates and new features.

My apologies if this sounds confrontational - it's not intended that way. I'm just trying to figure out what goes on behind the scenes, and if there's a chance I or the community can help in some way.

EDIT: Just read ThomasV's post about leaving INRIA. Good news! (although leaving INRIA must have been tough.... you must be crazy, other CS people would die to get in there :P). So I guess in principle, development is more of a focus now than before?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 11:40:52 AM

I'm just wondering because I remember reading about adding a USD exchange rate based conversion feature (e.g. tell Electrum to transfer X USD and the client will transfer X*current rate in BTC) a long time ago, but so far, it hasn't been implemented.

I continue recommending Electrum to friends as the single best lightweight client for new users (and old users as well), but it looks like there's a bit of a slow down in updates and new features.

My apologies if this sounds confrontational - it's not intended that way. I'm just trying to figure out what goes on behind the scenes, and if there's a chance I or the community can help in some way.

EDIT: Just read ThomasV's post about leaving INRIA. Good news! (although leaving INRIA must have been tough.... you must be crazy, other CS people would die to get in there Tongue). So I guess in principle, development is more of a focus now than before?

That post is from january during the heady $1000/btc days.

Development hasn't stalled. It's ongoing as you can see from the github commits:

https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/commits/master

Thomas has said that it's taking longer than he expected:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=427617.msg9516231#msg9516231

I think he's trying to add too many features in the next release. The more time passes the more demands are made for features to be included. For example the hardware wallet vendors have been clamoring to get support for their products in electrum.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: