Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:19:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Media: Bitcoin Euro Stories are Exaggerated  (Read 2312 times)
elux (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 01:50:51 PM

Quote from: genjix
I’ve been putting off saying anything due to dealing with the Bitcoinica issue, but this is too much.

Bitcoin euro volume has barely increased (if at all). The only thing that’s happened is that the euro has increased in price vs the dollar slightly.

This is a case of media organisations engaging in copy-cat cut and paste story writing without fact checking. I believe the stories are wrong.

http://bitcoinmedia.com/bitcoin-euro-stories-are-exaggerated/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 03:13:41 PM

Which just means that the current rally from 5.10 - 5.65+ was a healthy one, yes?

I could live with that.
hxtop

Activity: 1071
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 03:21:39 PM

MAYBE
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 03:25:44 PM

(I think the current rally is due to new users coming to Bitcoin because they've heard about Satoshi Dice. Nothing more, nothing less.)

As for the Euro, the stories are obviously exaggerated. The Greeks and Spaniards do not fear holding Euro notes, because there's no difference in value between a Euro note spent in Germany and one spent in Greece or Spain. What they do fear is for the transactions in their Greek and Spanish bank accounts being limited, or for their bank account balances being forcibly converted into "New Euros" or Drachmas or whatever. But to protect against that, it's sufficient to hold Euro banknotes under the mattress.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 04:07:42 PM

It's true that the articles exaggerate and it's likely that the articles themselves will cause more volume increase than there has been before those articles. However this article is dead wrong on the volume increase, it's underestimating it by a large factor. Mt. Gox EUR is not much larger than the other EUR exchanges and it happens to be the one that has had by far the least amount of volume increase lately. The other Euro exchanges are up significantly.

Some numbers have been put up at the comment section. This is not at all surprising that Gox EUR is losing volume relative to other EUR exchanges. Gox is the only one that has had big issues with SEPA and it's the only one that requires verification to use SEPA at all.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2012, 04:12:51 PM

There mere fact that Bitcoin price vs the dollar is not declining, no less increasing while the inflation rate of BTC is up around 50% shows that there is a healthy amount of people buying BTC.

In December when that inflation rate drops to 25% and the same amount or more of interest continues, that other 25% will likely be the rate at which it climbs.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 07:42:08 PM

I was suspicious of this article the moment I saw it. A quick check of the euro/btc volume and google trends confirmed it was nothing more than someone's working imagination.

Saturn7

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 07:54:06 PM

Looks like the work of a PR company.  Simultaneous stories from different sites on the same made up topic.

First there was Fire, then Electricity, and now Bitcoins Wink
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 07:56:14 PM

Looks like the work of a PR company.  Simultaneous stories from different sites on the same made up topic.

If you trace it back to it's source, it will read "BitInstant" LOL

istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 08:18:07 PM

Just like when they exaggerated that Bitcoin was hacked...

But sometimes a story can become the truth by simply repeating it enough times Wink

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 07:59:14 PM

Euro volume keeps rising in various exchanges. This is an interesting time for bitcoin Smiley
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 09:39:11 PM

I'm not saying that all the news articles reporting Europeans fleeing into Bitcoin were justified, but disputing them by saying the mtgoxEUR volume hasn't risen (much) is equally flawed. It is perfectly reasonable for Europeans to buy BTC for USD - especially in times of declining EUR/USD rate it is a wise choice to have Mt. Gox exchange the money for USD upon deposit. Even if you trade on the Mt. Gox Euro market your orders are most likely filled by automatically converted USD offers anyway because of the low volume in Euro and because of the way Mt. Gox' trading system works. Also Bitstamp (as a rather popular European exchange) is USD only.

TL;DR: the mtgoxEUR volume is a rather bad indicator for Euro influx into the Bitcoin world

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
genuise

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 06:46:58 AM

TL;DR: the mtgoxEUR volume is a rather bad indicator for Euro influx into the Bitcoin world

but what else we have? I think actuall tarding and order book statistics is the only sources for us to have any certainty

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 06:52:26 AM

Looks like the work of a PR company.  Simultaneous stories from different sites on the same made up topic.

If you trace it back to it's source, it will read "BitInstant" LOL

What is good for bitinstant is good for bitcoin I imagine.

As or me I am shorting fiat by buying shares on glbse to avoid the government inflation on my savings. I imagine many other people are getting bitcoins/shares for the same reason.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 08:20:27 AM

I'm not saying that all the news articles reporting Europeans fleeing into Bitcoin were justified, but disputing them by saying the mtgoxEUR volume hasn't risen (much) is equally flawed. It is perfectly reasonable for Europeans to buy BTC for USD - especially in times of declining EUR/USD rate it is a wise choice to have Mt. Gox exchange the money for USD upon deposit. Even if you trade on the Mt. Gox Euro market your orders are most likely filled by automatically converted USD offers anyway because of the low volume in Euro and because of the way Mt. Gox' trading system works. Also Bitstamp (as a rather popular European exchange) is USD only.

I dunno, I'm suming all the euro volume accross the exchanges. In the last two days for exemple it has rised to more than 10% of all currencies volume (which is itself rising).

This is the data I've got right now (it's not very extensive, but imho it gives a certain snapshot of what is happening):

rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 08:26:31 AM

I dunno, I'm suming all the euro volume accross the exchanges. In the last two days for exemple it has rised to more than 10% of all currencies volume (which is itself rising).

This is the data I've got right now (it's not very extensive, but imho it gives a certain snapshot of what is happening):

How you get this data? Please PM me.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 09:06:51 AM

but what else we have? I think actuall tarding and order book statistics is the only sources for us to have any certainty
There simply is no publicly available data capturing the EUR influx. I personally traded considerable amounts of EUR for BTC in the last few weeks for various people but you won't see that volume in any of the EUR markets. The non-public data of the exchanges is the only reliable information in that regard so I wouldn't dismiss their announcements that easily.
If Charlie says they had rising volume from Europe then you are of course free to doubt it, but you certainly can't disprove him by pointing at mtgoxEUR.

Sure you can look at the volumes on all the EUR markets combined but the argumentative power of these numbers is still rather limited. There simply is not a very large incentive to trade EUR for BTC directly atm.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 09:11:30 AM

How you get this data? Please PM me.

A small excel monitor I made, PM sent Smiley
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 09:12:39 AM

There simply is no publicly available data capturing the EUR influx. I personally traded considerable amounts of EUR for BTC in the last few weeks for various people but you won't see that volume in any of the EUR markets. The non-public data of the exchanges is the only reliable information in that regard so I wouldn't dismiss their announcements that easily.
If Charlie says they had rising volume from Europe then you are of course free to doubt it, but you certainly can't disprove him by pointing at mtgoxEUR.

Sure you can look at the volumes on all the EUR markets combined but the argumentative power of these numbers is still rather limited. There simply is not a very large incentive to trade EUR for BTC directly atm.

Yes it's hard to monitor otc transactions, but I think trends seen in exchanges should match approx. trends seen otc
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 09:48:45 AM

Yes it's hard to monitor otc transactions, but I think trends seen in exchanges should match approx. trends seen otc
True, but I was not talking about OTC - I was talking about exchanging your EUR for USD first and then trade them for BTC. The exchange fee is lower than what the EUR/USD rate went down the last weeks and since there is so little volume on the pure EUR markets your orders are most probably filled by converted USD offers anyway. In the end you're better off doing the conversion as soon as possible (=on deposit) and then placing your orders on the USD markets.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀