Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:17:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do we need a mining services section in mining?
Yes
No
Don't care

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we need a mining services (cloud mining, hosting etc.) section? (Poll)  (Read 1941 times)
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 09:30:31 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2014, 01:34:38 AM by ckolivas

Cloud mining is actually a service, much like buying shares in a mining company has very little to do with the actual mining process itself. This means that currently all cloud mining discussion should be going to the service discussion board. However the distinction is blurred due to the crossover between pooled mining services, hosted mining by manufacturers and so on. Note that I think cloud mining is a complete waste of money, but that is the sort of debate that is best relegated to such a section and my opinion will not change the fact that the number of these services and people who subscribe to them is increasing and there seems to be a need for a dedicated place to discuss them.

Should there be a dedicated subsection in the mining section? Feel free to discuss pros/cons on this thread as well.

EDIT: Cloud mining by itself does not encompass all the crossover discussion required, so as an updated proposal I'd suggest "mining services".

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
judypug1956

Activity: 355
Merit: 276

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 04:33:37 AM

yeah people do need it.  even if we make a comparison chart .

based on prices 
based on flexibility

based on safety of the company. ie will they cut and run.

I played with cloud mining and for myself I only keep a pinky in  more often to make coin transfers and have a pool service. 

1956jUdYPFwiBSzt9AECdWj3KE4WV7taiM I can't do 1957philma.. for btc address the i are not allowed This is a secondary account for Philipma1957, don't do business with this account deal with philipma1957
btcfade

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 09:33:07 AM

yes its a way to get people into mining
yes it gets other companies like amazon and ebay aware of and hopefully taking/using bitcoin
no it's a rip off
no it doesn't help keep bitcoin decentralized
omerkxy

Activity: 19

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 09:36:03 AM

YES YES YES
DEFINITELY
BitcoinExchangeIndia.com

Activity: 311
Merit: 264

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 10:12:36 PM

Cloud mining is actually a service, much like buying shares in a mining company has very little to do with the actual mining process itself. This means that currently all cloud mining discussion should be going to the service discussion board. However the distinction is blurred due to the crossover between pooled mining services, hosted mining by manufacturers and so on. Note that I think cloud mining is a complete waste of money, but that is the sort of debate that is best relegated to such a section and my opinion will not change the fact that the number of these services and people who subscribe to them is increasing and there seems to be a need for a dedicated place to discuss them.

Should there be a dedicated subsection in the mining section? Feel free to discuss pros/cons on this thread as well.

I think cloud mining requires its own sub-section under mining. From the logic you are categorizing cloud mining as a service, using the same logic we can say pools are service too. But, pools do have own sub-section. So cloud mining should have the same.

amorphia

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 10:21:21 PM

It would be nice to gather in a single section all cloud mining services.
Serlite

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:23:28 PM

Yes! I like the idea, since it's readily differentiable from hardware mining.

MrGreenHat

Activity: 173
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:34:49 PM

Great idea, CK. It will certainly help navigate the forums more easily and find what you are actually looking for.
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 10:14:56 PM

As an update, I think "mining services" is a more general subsection suggestion and would encompass cloud mining and hosting and any related services that might crop up in the future.

-ck
itachiuciha

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 07:27:34 PM

just try iy maybe it's work... Cheesy
avw1982

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:13:34 AM

Yes please. It would me a great section.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 10:10:52 AM

As an update, I think "mining services" is a more general subsection suggestion and would encompass cloud mining and hosting and any related services that might crop up in the future.

Will u consider to include pools under mining services as well ?

Moreover, I can see the poll Q has changed. I voted for Do we need a cloud mining section?, but now the Q is asking Do we need a mining services section in mining?, which I did not vote for !!!

You may or may not agree with me, but I think this is how the mining evolution is taking place...

Software => Hardware => Pool => Cloud Mining

-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2014, 10:14:53 AM

Moreover, I can see the poll Q has changed. I voted for Do we need a cloud mining section?, but now the Q is asking Do we need a mining services section in mining?, which I did not vote for !!!

You may or may not agree with me, but I think this is how the mining evolution is taking place...

Maybe on the first.

I agree with badbear that cloud mining is not a big enough topic to hold its own, and there may as well actually be something productive in the area as well.

If you want to change your vote you can.

-ck
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 10:18:50 AM

Maybe on the first.

I agree with badbear that cloud mining is not a big enough topic to hold its own, and there may as well actually be something productive in the area as well.

If you want to change your vote you can.

As it seems that people spontaneously voted for cloud mining section. So why not keep the Q as it was and ask separately for mining services and see people's response.

-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 01:40:01 AM

Even as a full services section, while the majority vote was in favour, the absolute number of extra votes for yes in favour of no was only 17 after a whole week of voting. On a forum with hundreds of thousands of users, this isn't enough to warrant a whole new forum section. Mining services shall continue to be included with other service discussion. Thanks for your contributions.

-ck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: