Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:05:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive ASICMiner Prisma Setup [HD]  (Read 16967 times)
vortexz
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 08:46:05 PM

Hello I have a problem with an PRISMA it will not start hashing by any means.
I have 2 prismas one of them is HASING with no problems, they are connected to a controller.
I tried connecting only 1 by 1, the other will not start hashing.
The controller sees all boards, all chips are fine it just won't start hashing.
any solutions ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
daehbew

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 10:22:42 AM

man I am so lost... Huh

I have two PRISMA's and a Raspberry Pi..

I also have an AsicTube and a Block Erupter..

So the AsicTube and Block Erupter I didn't have much trouble setting up.

I've never used a Raspberry Pi before.. it looks to be some kind of computer of its own? that can run programs?
Not sure what Minera is.. from what I'm reading it looks like an interface.. solely for Bitcoin mining?
I guess Minera can run different mining programs but the one I'm aware of is CGminer.
Please correct me if anything I say is wrong.. it's all new to me. (and fascinating at that; I'm just a big behind the tech curve on this Raspberry thing)

Plan is to get everything up and running with the tools that I have; if possible.

Apparently from Dogie's reply in the AsicTube thread I can't mix and match (daisy chain) on the Prisma and AsicTube as they will only hash together at one rate.

So let's leave the AsicTube alone with nothing daisy chained on it.

Can I run Prisma1 on just the Raspberry Pi.... with.. the USB dongle attachment (for white cable).. and LAN cable (from Pi to switch)... and.. I'm guessing Minera installed on the SD card located inside the Pi??

No Block Erupter on the Prisma.

Is that possible?

If Yes; please guide me. (I bought this setup on eBay)
The guy who sold it to me tells me it's already all configured..
I just need to change my IP.

Well.. (I'm not too IP Savvy but I'll try to explain)
Everything here is setup on IP 192.168.1.XXX
The stuff he gave me operates on some 10.255.255.XXX (something like that)
My router has it's own IP.............I think...
Like when I do IPCONFIG.... well.. it's completely different than the IP he wants me to modify mine too...

So I tried configuring my IP to operate on the same as the Minera... no luck with that.
I was getting an error when generating my IP in network settings.. something about the default gateway not being aligned with my IP (or subnet?)

If anyone knows how I can change my IP to communicate with the Raspberry PI's current settings (the 255 type IP)..
I'm pretty sure it's not possible to change my router (which is not a 255 type..)

I have more miners running already though (C1, a couple S3+'s...)
Those are already configured... on my current IP (are they not?)

Sorry to confuse anyone reading this (might be easier to explain if I was fluent in my computer lingo)..

So my concerns here are 1.. do I have the tools to setup the Prisma? (with above listed)
and... how do I get my Rasberry Pi to work and run my Prisma...
Do I need to reset my miner and reprogram the Pi or can I work with the way it's currently configured?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 11:37:14 PM

Thanks for the instruction

I have this PSU:
http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-SP-1200M-MODULAR-CERTIFIED-CONTINUOUS/dp/B00FASISGA

It has 3 PCI-E and those can be connected to 3 boards, but how to power the fourth board?
Should I connect 2 peripheral sata to the fourth board?

Please advice.

Apologies for the delay, I will answer as reference for others however. That PSU is difficult to arrange as it has split and uneven 12V rails (40A and 85A). One would assume that the 6x PCI-E are on the 85A and the other cables (ATX 8 pin, 24 pin, molexs) are on the 40A. If so, I'd recommend you do the following:

Board 1: PCI-E + PCI-E
Board 2: PCI-E + PCI-E
Board 3: PCI-E + 2xmolex to PCI-E
Board 4: PCI-E + 2xmolex to PCI-E

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 11:41:31 PM

I have 2 prismas one of them is HASING with no problems, they are connected to a controller.
any solutions ?

Is that image with one or two Prisma's plugged into that one controller? You may have conflicting board identifying switches, which have to be unique across all 8 boards.

There is a 5 bit switch on each hashing board which must be configured to be unique in order for the controller to detect it. Do not touch switch 5, but make sure the combination of switches 1-4 are unique across all 4 boards.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2015, 11:47:34 PM

Apparently from Dogie's reply in the AsicTube thread I can't mix and match (daisy chain) on the Prisma and AsicTube as they will only hash together at one rate.

So let's leave the AsicTube alone with nothing daisy chained on it.

That's the best idea.

Can I run Prisma1 on just the Raspberry Pi.... with.. the USB dongle attachment (for white cable).. and LAN cable (from Pi to switch)... and.. I'm guessing Minera installed on the SD card located inside the Pi?? No Block Erupter on the Prisma. Is that possible?

Yes

If Yes; please guide me. (I bought this setup on eBay). The guy who sold it to me tells me it's already all configured. I just need to change my IP.

Well.. (I'm not too IP Savvy but I'll try to explain)
Everything here is setup on IP 192.168.1.XXX
The stuff he gave me operates on some 10.255.255.XXX (something like that)
My router has it's own IP.............I think...
Like when I do IPCONFIG.... well.. it's completely different than the IP he wants me to modify mine too...

So I tried configuring my IP to operate on the same as the Minera... no luck with that.
I was getting an error when generating my IP in network settings.. something about the default gateway not being aligned with my IP (or subnet?)

If anyone knows how I can change my IP to communicate with the Raspberry PI's current settings (the 255 type IP)..
I'm pretty sure it's not possible to change my router (which is not a 255 type..)

So what it sounds like that the Pi is configured for you, but its sitting at an IP you can't get to. One solution is changing your router's subnet to get there, but it sounds like you've tried already. The alternative is temporarily changing the IP of just your computer so the Pi and computer can talk to each other. You can find instructions for this in several of my other guides, referred to as "Alternative Subnet Change".

Once you're able to talk to the Pi, try and set its network settings to DHCP. That will mean when you plug everything back to how it was, the Pi will accept whatever IP its given by your router. You can find out what this is on the list of devices on your router's status pages.

daehbew

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 10:10:36 AM
Last edit: February 12, 2015, 10:25:53 AM by daehbew

got one prisma to work but not the daisy chain second one...

can you provide more detail on how to configure dip switches... is it same as asic tube?

EDIT---------------------------------------------2/11/2015:

Found dip switch configuration here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=795477.220

Also,
..discovered a more severe point of troubleshooting..
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4-vYkKYsSNxcGxDaXJVdXlQOV9YSFc1bEpVQnpnVzRLb21B/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4-vYkKYsSNxSjRKcVZUaENpZzNEZEVXdHYwTlhoM3VScGRR/view?usp=sharing

Originally noticed some slightly bent prongs on the fan connector.. no big deal..
but upon further investigation.. I noticed a bent capacitator.... one prong disconnected..

Any ideas on how to solve this? anyone..

EDIT---------------------------------------------2/12/2015:

Troubleshooting:
Taped that capacitator very carefully in place. Just to do a quick test run; see if it solves anything.
Sure enough that one little capacitor was the key to all boards being picked up.. Smiley

So then I turned off machine, now working on a more permenant solution.
Soldering option, but never taken apart Prisma before and dont wanna damage anything.
So; currently working on using a very small amount of JB weld type stuff to hold in place..
Rubber band attached around miner holding capacitor in place as it cures..

Hope this works as permanent solution..

Figured regular glue would just melt when boards heat up..
daehbew

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 06:43:26 PM

There are 3 inputs for the white cables.
I know I can run one miner with the input closest to the ethernet.

Will one BE controller host more than one miner? (not referring to daisy chain here)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2015, 02:59:23 AM

So then I turned off machine, now working on a more permenant solution.
Soldering option, but never taken apart Prisma before and dont wanna damage anything.

Soldering is easier than you think on capacitors with pins flayed like that and nice big contacts. You just need to get a small dab of solder on each side.

Will one BE controller host more than one miner? (not referring to daisy chain here)

No

daehbew

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2015, 01:26:26 PM

Soldering is easier than you think on capacitors with pins flayed like that and nice big contacts. You just need to get a small dab of solder on each side.

Perhaps I will revisit that; if current solution doesn't hold in place.

So far the capacitator is being help in place with some epoxy material; and the boards are registering. If I use BE controller only for that Prisma; then all boards appear now (on that Stratum page).

They even show that they are mining at about 1500 gh/s total..

However, I'm pretty sure my configuration is correct for my pool etc; and the pool (Bitminter) will continue to show 0 gh/s while the miner shows otherwise (on Stratum).

I've also tried configuring without BE controller as a daisy chain on the other Prisma (RPI - Minera). The primary miner will pick up on Minera even though they are daisy chained; all unique dip switch settings. The most it will perform at is about 1500 gh/s (or the performance of one Prisma); should be around 3000+ gh/s..
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2015, 07:23:45 PM

Perhaps I will revisit that; if current solution doesn't hold in place.

So far the capacitator is being help in place with some epoxy material; and the boards are registering. If I use BE controller only for that Prisma; then all boards appear now (on that Stratum page).

They even show that they are mining at about 1500 gh/s total..

However, I'm pretty sure my configuration is correct for my pool etc; and the pool (Bitminter) will continue to show 0 gh/s while the miner shows otherwise (on Stratum).

I've also tried configuring without BE controller as a daisy chain on the other Prisma (RPI - Minera). The primary miner will pick up on Minera even though they are daisy chained; all unique dip switch settings. The most it will perform at is about 1500 gh/s (or the performance of one Prisma); should be around 3000+ gh/s..

Do you really only have 1 BE controller and 1 USB adapter between 3 units?

daehbew

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 12:50:50 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2015, 02:47:16 AM by daehbew

Do you really only have 1 BE controller and 1 USB adapter between 3 units?

Yes,

1 BE Controller, and 1 Raspberry PI.

for 3 miners:

1 AsicTube, and 2 Prisma's

The configuration is supposed to be

BE Controller for the AsicTube and RBPi for the two Prisma's.
However, haven't completed that setup 100% as I've just been troubleshooting since I received the Prisma's

Prisma1 and AsicTube function as they should.
It's Prisma2 that I'm having trouble getting to function properly. (could just be user error, which I hope it is)

Prisma1 will register and operate as single operator on RBPi (nothing daisy chained)
difficulty on Bitminter set to 2048
Dip switch settings as follows: (using these setting here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=795477.220)

12345 ---- setting 11,12,9,10
XOXOX
OOXOX
XXXOX
OXXOX

If I were to add Prisma2 as daisy chain on that setup as
Dip switch settings:

12345 ---- setting 8,5,7,6
OOOXX
XXOXX
XOOXX
OXOXX

Then; Minera will report no Hashing speed. I think Minera will detect miner, and it will even function up to about 1500 Gh/s, but will only operate as Prisma1 because if both were functioning it should register up to about 3000 Gh/s.

So when I got home from work today; I know that Prisma1 will work and I know the setting.
So I configured Prisma2 with same dip switch setting as Prisma1 and tried running Prisma2 by itself (no daisy chain).
Minera will pick up Prisma2; but no hash rate. However, current shares seem to accumulate.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j207/daehbew/runningprisma2.jpg~original

One other thing. If I connect Prisma2 to only the BE Controller; all boards will register (shows 8 boards total)
It even shows them as mining at about 1500 Gh/s; which is what leads me to believe that this is some kind of configuration error.

Thank you in advance for all suggestions or solution on how I can get this miner operational!
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 06:10:17 AM

Minera will pick up Prisma2; but no hash rate. However, current shares seem to accumulate.

One other thing. If I connect Prisma2 to only the BE Controller; all boards will register (shows 8 boards total)
It even shows them as mining at about 1500 Gh/s; which is what leads me to believe that this is some kind of configuration error.

I'm unsure why this would happen, or what Minera is trying to do in the background. The simplest solution is to pick up another BE controller from ebay, they're pretty cheap. Then run Prisma2 off it @ 240MHz as if its being temperamental, lets just give it what it wants.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2015, 02:36:42 PM

Added dip switch position picture from the Prisma guide to the troubleshooting section.

daehbew

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 02:28:29 PM

any solutions ?

http://s21.postimg.org/p3phvov3b/hashing.jpg

Having same problem as vortexz....

did you ever get a solution on this vortexz?

Anyone else got ideas to fix this?
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1844

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 02:57:15 PM

If that's an old-version BE controller (I think they fixed it on the one shipping with Prisma 2.0 now?) the stratum implementation is severely hosed and it won't work with most pools. What version controller are you using, and what pool?

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
daehbew

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 03:05:20 PM

If that's an old-version BE controller (I think they fixed it on the one shipping with Prisma 2.0 now?) the stratum implementation is severely hosed and it won't work with most pools. What version controller are you using, and what pool?

slush.
I have two prismas on hand. and my BE controller OR raspberry PI work fine on the other prisma...... (we'll just say prisma1 works fine)
but prisma2... boards will all register OK
but none of them will "mine" performance just reads 000 ....

doing an individual board test to troubleshoot.... all boards individual won't perform either.... but they register just fine....

changed settings on pool to minimum difficulty 2048 (just to troubleshoot) - still no PRF..

^^^ above testing was all done on slush pool

(mind you that prisma1 runs fine on slush pool)
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 03:34:09 PM

That's pretty strange for all boards independently to not work. DIP switch settings on the boards are correct? If I'm remembering right, the switch settings should all be <16.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 04:22:10 PM

slush.
I have two prismas on hand. and my BE controller OR raspberry PI work fine on the other prisma...... (we'll just say prisma1 works fine)
but prisma2... boards will all register OK
but none of them will "mine" performance just reads 000 ....

doing an individual board test to troubleshoot.... all boards individual won't perform either.... but they register just fine....

changed settings on pool to minimum difficulty 2048 (just to troubleshoot) - still no PRF..

^^^ above testing was all done on slush pool

(mind you that prisma1 runs fine on slush pool)

He had a capacitor knocked off, which when he taped it down again got the entire board back up. Inspect your Prisma for physical damage. If you can't repair or solder it, bypass that board for now.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 04:28:32 PM

Think there's a capacitor knocked off each board? Every one doesn't work even when tested individually, according to his last reply.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 04:56:06 PM

Think there's a capacitor knocked off each board? Every one doesn't work even when tested individually, according to his last reply.

No, the other guy's problem was ONE knocked off capacitor causing the entire chain to not mine.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: