Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:36:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Total number of bitcoin users  (Read 2451 times)
lontivero (OP)

Activity: 164
Merit: 128

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:04:38 PM

Hi, is there an estimation anywhere about how many real users bitcoin has?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2014, 05:16:13 PM

just wallets but not users.

i would estimate 2-5 mio users worldwide?

MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:19:37 PM

Not sure but I guess I saw on some interview with an old man that they are estimated of 250k users , not that much right  Cry
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:30:43 PM

About 20 of us, we have a few thousand sock puppets each....  Wink

Nah I'm just trolling the conspiracy theorists.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:51:39 PM

It's very hard to say, but I think probably 2 to max 3 million users.

Wallets don't say anything as there are services and companies who have hundreds of wallets with a balance.
El Emperador

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 05:57:26 PM

A related question: where are the most Bitcoin users from? I think even this is very difficult to say...

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
lontivero (OP)

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 06:08:17 PM

Not sure but I guess I saw on some interview with an old man that they are estimated of 250k users , not that much right  Cry

Wallets don't say anything as there are services and companies who have hundreds of wallets with a balance.

It seems we are no very good estimating  Grin Anyway, we could say there are in the range [0.25; 5.00] million people. Very few people.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 07:15:04 PM

Wait, what? it's way less than that, total users should be less than 100k people. There are total of around 220k unique Bitcoin addresses with a non-zero balance, and I personally owns about 20 addresses with balance, the average user should own at least 2 or more addresses with balance.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 07:15:40 PM

estimates of 2-3mill based on unique addresses

but can be more due to many stupid people having all their funds in exchanges which move funds into a central cold store.

in short with 13-14mill coins in circulation if you have more than 10 bitcoins, you have an above average savings.

yes i know a few corporations have many many coins, but thats just the same as FIAT. and anyone that sells coins only has themselves to blame if they are now crying that they have less than 10btc holding where previously they had more

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
lontivero (OP)

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 07:24:39 PM

Wait, what? it's way less than that, total users should be less than 100k people. There are total of around 220k unique Bitcoin addresses with a non-zero balance, and I personally owns about 20 addresses with balance, the average user should own at least 2 or more addresses with balance.

Good point, I have 6 addresses with balance.
Mak J

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 08:27:47 PM

Good point, I have 6 addresses with balance.
You should count all addresses that ever had any input.
Now many addresses can have 0 balance but they are in blockchain and belong to somebody Wink
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 08:41:52 PM

Not sure but I guess I saw on some interview with an old man that they are estimated of 250k users , not that much right  Cry

That old man, who is aggressive in his misunderstanding of Bitcoin, is Jeffrey Robinson, author of "Bitcon". He's an old-school financial crime author/researcher who does not understand the technology behind Bitcoin, and simply views it through his outdated and narrow lens. Hence, he's trying to downplay the number of bitcoin users and ignored many stats. He is a weak-thinker, and really just trying to promote his sensationalist and poorly "researched" book.

For example, the fact that Blockchain.info alone has almost 2.7 million wallets, and Coinbase has over 2 million. Note that Coinbase does robust KYC, so that 2 million *does* correspond to 2 million unique people.

Not to mention all the other wallets...

Also, "There are currently 14,104,525 unspent outputs in 3,609,649 unique address": http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2mkmoq/til_where_the_bitcoins_at_mysteries_of_the/

Obviously many bitcoin users control more than one address, and Coinbase users don't necessarily carry a bitcoin balance, but I'd guess it all nets out to about 1-3M bitcoin *owners*. And if you define a *user* as someone who either owns bitcoin and/*or* has made a bitcoin transaction in the last XX days, that number goes up.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
lontivero (OP)

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 09:06:54 PM

That old man, who is aggressive in his misunderstanding of Bitcoin, is Jeffrey Robinson, author of "Bitcon". He's an old-school financial crime author/researcher who does not understand the technology behind Bitcoin, and simply views it through his outdated and narrow lens. Hence, he's trying to downplay the number of bitcoin users and ignored many stats. He is a weak-thinker, and really just trying to promote his sensationalist and poorly "researched" book.

For example, the fact that Blockchain.info alone has almost 2.7 million wallets, and Coinbase has over 2 million. Note that Coinbase does robust KYC, so that 2 million *does* correspond to 2 million unique people.

Not to mention all the other wallets...

Also, "There are currently 14,104,525 unspent outputs in 3,609,649 unique address": http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2mkmoq/til_where_the_bitcoins_at_mysteries_of_the/

Obviously many bitcoin users control more than one address, and Coinbase users don't necessarily carry a bitcoin balance, but I'd guess it all nets out to about 1-3M bitcoin *owners*. And if you define a *user* as someone who either owns bitcoin and/*or* has made a bitcoin transaction in the last XX days, that number goes up.

Provably you think that I am reading that old man but I've never heard about him in my life. Anyway, you're right when you ask for a *user* definition and I think that users are:

* People that own bitcoins (they have a balance)
* People that perform transactions often.

Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2014, 09:58:24 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2014, 12:57:25 AM by Q7

Not sure if you can get the exact figure on number of users based on statistic cause a user might be holding several wallets. Some wallets are inactive while there are others which are probably abandoned due to loss of private. So what I meant to say is there are a lot of factors here.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 10:12:06 PM

I was way off with my estimate.

Never thought such a little group of people are actually owning Bitcoin. Looking at myself, I own 8 wallets with balance.

Imagine what will happen if more than a million people own Bitcoin.
Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 11:25:06 PM

Maybe in the world there are 2, maximum 3 million of people which use bitcoin but not more. It is still unknown to the big part of people  Angry We have to work to raise this number Smiley

█████████████████████████████
███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 04:03:11 AM

I was way off with my estimate.

Never thought such a little group of people are actually owning Bitcoin. Looking at myself, I own 8 wallets with balance.

Imagine what will happen if more than a million people own Bitcoin.

I guess you didn't read the rest of the thread before replying to kokojie, since you missed the fact that kokojie's figure is off by an order of magnitude:

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:03:29 AM

I guess you didn't read the rest of the thread before replying to kokojie, since you missed the fact that kokojie's figure is off by an order of magnitude:

Some of them are zero, and by the author's own numbers:
There are 732,959 addresses with a 1 satoshi balance totaling 0.00732959 BTC

Most of these "unique addresses" are like that, with balance below 0.001 btc

So I guess I was inaccurate when saying "non-zero balance addresses", I should have said addresses with "meaningful" balance.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 07:42:20 AM

It seems we are no very good estimating  Grin Anyway, we could say there are in the range [0.25; 5.00] million people. Very few people.

fair enough  Smiley - all in all a pretty laughable number  Wink

look here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=872881.0

anshar

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 09:21:50 AM

Less than a million.

But there are 10x the number of wallets I think since each user often has a couple.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 09:36:50 AM

Less than a million.

But there are 10x the number of wallets I think since each user often has a couple.

Coinbase alone has 2 million consumer wallets and they are only available in 19 countries (which is after a pretty recent expansion). Due to AML/KYC it would be unlikely for their users to need/want multiple wallets on coinbase.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 11:30:46 AM

Average number of wallets per user is not impossible to know with proper research. Number of wallets is known, so number of users is pretty much there. Anyone knows the number?

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 06:57:58 PM

Number of wallets is known,

Number of wallets is known? By whom? Is this figure published somewhere?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Gianluca95
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1196

Reputation first.

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 07:01:40 PM

If I not wrong 1 months ago I saw the main statistic of bitcoin protocol and remember that almost 500.000 user in the world actually use bitcoin. Very little number, but we'll increase it in the next future ! Ah, don't look at the address, many people have more than 1 address Smiley

███▀█████████████████████▀███
███  ▀▀███████████████▀▀  ███
███     ████▀▀ ▀▀████     ███
███     ██▀       ▀██     ███
███     ██         ██     ███
███     ██▄       ▄██     ███
███     ████▄▄ ▄▄████     ███
███  ▄▄███████████████▄▄  ███
███▄█████████████████████▄███
.Mixin Safe.

▄███████▄     
██▀   ▀██
             ▄███████▄
██▄   ▄██             ██▀   ▀██
▀███████▀             ██▄   ▄██
   ███     ▄███████▄  ▀███████▀
   ███▀▀   ██▀   ▀██     ███
   █████   ██▄   ▄██     ███▀▀
   ▀▀▀     ▀███████▀     █████
              ███        ▀▀▀
              ███▀▀
              █████
              ▀▀▀
2/3 Multisig Decentralized
Bitcoin Custody Solutions
💎
💪
🔓
CONFIDENT
RELIABLE
RECOVERABLE
..GET STARTED..
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2014, 07:06:26 PM

If all Bitcoins are known where they are, I guess therefore the number of wallets is known too... But seems like I'm wrong, been surgfing a bit now...

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2014, 07:19:54 PM

I am pretty sure that number is around 10 million now Shocked

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 07:21:32 PM

according to 1 bitcoin hater i know of its 250k active users, but imo thats pretty good, must people just invest and leave BTC sat in cold storage.
Joca97
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1023

Cashback 15%

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 08:16:24 PM

I am pretty sure that number is around 10 million now Shocked

i think the same

maybe a little less...bitcoin is growing every day...hope the price does the same Smiley

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 30, 2014, 08:37:32 PM

If all Bitcoins are known where they are, I guess therefore the number of wallets is known too... But seems like I'm wrong, been surgfing a bit now...

I think someone is confusing 'wallets' for 'public addresses'.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
lontivero (OP)

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 02:25:45 PM

In thins article: http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-stellar-sidechains-feature-future-money-summit/
Shalek, the Ribbit Capital partner, told the audience during the closing panel:

“Bitcoin has this promise of enabling innovation. There are already 10 million people or more using bitcoin.”
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: