Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:04:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "some exchanges will allow you to provide capital to bitcoin traders" - Where?  (Read 894 times)
manicminer (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 07:25:24 AM

I came across this:

https://www.quora.com/I-have-USD-2500-to-invest-Should-I-buy-Bitcoins-or-gold

"One thing that I found is that some exchanges will allow you to provide capital to bitcoin traders, and the return on that is quite nice.  Of course, you take the risk that the exchange crashes and burns and takes your money with it."

Which exchanges provide this?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 07:44:03 AM

I think the numpty is talking about exchanges like Cryptsy or Bleutrade that offer up shares and pay a percentage of the fees to the holders, seems to be misunderstanding how it all works, I have seen a couple of Bitcoin trader management funds floating around that you can buy on the stock exchanges but I don't know how legit they are.

He's probably confused the two and thought they were the same thing, it's amazing how stupid some people become when they talk about cryptocurrencies.
Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 11:29:35 AM

Doesn't Bitfinex offer something similar to this?

From the Bitcoin wiki:

Margin trading

Their margin trading feature is unique in the Bitcoin world. Basically, it allows you to borrow funds from lenders (see next feature) to trade bitcoins. If you make a profit, you get the profit and pay the depositor interests. If you make a loss, you reimburse the depositors the whole borrowed amount + interests. [2]

Lending

Their lending feature goes hand to hand with the margin trading feature described above.

If you don't feel like a trader and/or prefer safer investments, this feature is for you. Bitfinex allows you, using your deposit wallets, to lend bitcoins and/or dollars to traders. You can put offers with your chosen terms (which rates, for how long, and how much).

Link: http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitfinex
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 02:49:07 PM

I know BTC-e has a scheme where you commit your BTC to "follow" a trader's moves.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:55:32 PM

As mentioned above, this is just allowing traders to use leverage but the exchange is not the one providing the borrowed funds. I don't think that "capital" is a very accurate term as it implies that the lender stands to profit or lose money if the trader profits or looses money.

There are several exchanges that allow this and have allowed this for some time now

manicminer (OP)

Activity: 302

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 10:51:10 AM

In plain English it is just like a leveraged forex broker, but for bitcoin?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: