Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:46:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Decimal Places in Bitcoin?  (Read 1782 times)
BanditryAndLoot (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 09:56:07 PM

I was reading this article here: http://insidebitcoins.com/news/bitcoin-foundation-seeks-standardization-of-the-bitcoin-experience/25414

They had this to say about the standardization for existing financial software:

Finally, the group hopes to develop ways to offer less confusion for the number of decimal places that are currently allowed in Bitcoin. For the average currency, a user only thinks about two decimal places. $1.52 is one dollar and fifty-two cents. But in Bitcoin, there are eight possible decimal places. Therefore, someone could note a value all the way out to 0.00000001 Bitcoin. That’s one hundred-millionth. For the average person, that is likely to be very confusing. And it’s a nightmare for accountants and financial software.

I was wondering if anyone could please help me understand how decimal places are handled in the Bitcoin source code, with regard to the length of the decimal place?

As far as the article goes .. would a solution be to just chop off anything below 100k satoshi, or would the total coin supply just be changed to 22,000,000,000,000.00 Bitcoins?

I tried reading through the wiki, and I can't really find a good description as to how that's handled.

Is there already a thread talking about this? Sorry if there is, please just point me to the link if you have it Smiley

And it's only at the end of fall, that we discover it was naught but the wind that knew when one particular leaf was to fall from one particular tree, only to land in one distinct spot .. to be left for an eternity, and waste its time in a wait sublime. C0A2A1C4
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
doge94

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 10:15:14 PM

In the C++ "satoshi" client the smallest unit of BTC is represented as an integer to avoid problems with floating point. So 1BTC is actually represented an integer with a value of 100 million.
JLynn171

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 10:19:13 PM

I was reading this article here: http://insidebitcoins.com/news/bitcoin-foundation-seeks-standardization-of-the-bitcoin-experience/25414

They had this to say about the standardization for existing financial software:

Finally, the group hopes to develop ways to offer less confusion for the number of decimal places that are currently allowed in Bitcoin. For the average currency, a user only thinks about two decimal places. $1.52 is one dollar and fifty-two cents. But in Bitcoin, there are eight possible decimal places. Therefore, someone could note a value all the way out to 0.00000001 Bitcoin. That’s one hundred-millionth. For the average person, that is likely to be very confusing. And it’s a nightmare for accountants and financial software.

I was wondering if anyone could please help me understand how decimal places are handled in the Bitcoin source code, with regard to the length of the decimal place?

As far as the article goes .. would a solution be to just chop off anything below 100k satoshi, or would the total coin supply just be changed to 22,000,000,000,000.00 Bitcoins?

I tried reading through the wiki, and I can't really find a good description as to how that's handled.

Is there already a thread talking about this? Sorry if there is, please just point me to the link if you have it Smiley

I have gotten use to 1 satashi and the decimal place it takes up... i know that 100ksatashi is a mBTC and it is just eassy for me to keep up with the places as is already
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 10:19:37 PM

Everything value in the reference client is a 64 bit signed integer, and as such are Satoshis, not Bitcoins. There is no actual thing in the blockchain called a Bitcoin, it's just what we use to represent 1e8 Satoshis.

Why on earth it's signed is beyond me.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 04:37:44 AM

Everything value in the reference client is a 64 bit signed integer, and as such are Satoshis, not Bitcoins. There is no actual thing in the blockchain called a Bitcoin, it's just what we use to represent 1e8 Satoshis.

It's signed to make it easier to check for the results of a subtraction being less than zero. 
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 09:06:46 AM

It's signed to make it easier to check for the results of a subtraction being less than zero. 

Subtraction?  When is there any subtraction in a bitcoin output value?
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 05:15:58 PM

There are other ways to check the sanity of your operations... In monero, uint64 is used for coin units instead.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2014, 07:24:22 PM

There are other ways to check the sanity of your operations... In monero, uint64 is used for coin units instead.
It's it's possible to do this, but it becomes much harder to make correct, overflow and rounding error free computation of many formula. (e.g. more complexity for users of the system).  In Bitcoin the sum and product of any two values fits, naive comparison is safe, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: