Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:54:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HOWTO: Anonymous Server Acquisition and Operation  (Read 3401 times)
anon1lkj389 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:10:55 PM

0) use TOR browser bundle for EVERYTHING
1) buy some bitcoins using USD via regular channels (these bitcoins are linked to your identity)
2) use a mixing service to remove link between the coins and ones' self
3) use "cleaned" bitcoins to purchase a VISA gift card
4) using the VISA gift card, purchase a VPS from one of the providers on lowendbox.com (or other VPS provider)

Use SSH over TOR to connect to and use/manage the VPS. Be sure to use an SSH identity that is only used for this purpose. From here one can anonymously do business, browse, create web services, share files, etc.

For bonus points, run a TOR exit node (or similar for freenet, i2p, etc) on this server. That will do good for the community and also would make it less obvious what the server might be used for.

As always, respect laws (where appropriate) and don't do anything that will hurt people!

P.S. Is anyone interested in some open source software to automate some of this? Perhaps to automate some bitcoin-earning business models that are based on this setup?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 02:14:24 PM

Problem is won't some of these VPS providers want to know a bit more about yourself beyond your e-mail and your visa number?

anon1lkj389 (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:15:41 PM

Problem is won't some of these VPS providers want to know a bit more about yourself beyond your e-mail and your visa number?

Possibly. Part of why I posted this is to discover issues like this and figure out how to address them.

I know there are a few providers that accept bitcoins directly.
anon1lkj389 (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 02:18:09 PM

Also if one feels it acceptable to do so, he could forge the contact information. This would be against the TOS I imagine, but I think many services would be happy just to get the $$. It's not like this is a bank account which requires social security # and other verification.

Again, I don't condone illegal activity and use this knowledge for good!
Rage

Activity: 124
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 11:46:08 PM

Also if one feels it acceptable to do so, he could forge the contact information. This would be against the TOS I imagine, but I think many services would be happy just to get the $$. It's not like this is a bank account which requires social security # and other verification.

You don't necessarily need to forge any contact information to remain anonymous. Use an anonymous mail drop. Several places in different parts of the world offer these and they will basically either forward mail to you via post or wills can it in where you can check it that way. The ones that scan it in are really nice and convenient because you have your mail anywhere you are. One that immediately comes to mind is www.earthclassmail.com though I'm not sure what their privacy policy or status is so I'd investigate.

As for a phone number, use Tor to browse over to www.k7.net and set up a free voicemail/fax account.

This way, you're not breaking the ToS as you are supplying valid (though anonymous) contact information.

Rage

pfvince

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 05:30:38 PM

You don't necessarily need to forge any contact information to remain anonymous. Use an anonymous mail drop. Several places in different parts of the world offer these and they will basically either forward mail to you via post or wills can it in where you can check it that way. The ones that scan it in are really nice and convenient because you have your mail anywhere you are. One that immediately comes to mind is www.earthclassmail.com though I'm not sure what their privacy policy or status is so I'd investigate.

As for a phone number, use Tor to browse over to www.k7.net and set up a free voicemail/fax account.

This way, you're not breaking the ToS as you are supplying valid (though anonymous) contact information.

Rage

This is great information, particularly the information on receiving mail at a real address anonymously.

Is there a wiki for operating anonymously like this? I'm not sure if the bitcoin wiki would be the ideal place or not. I'd hate to see this post get lost in history.
Ϛ

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 12:45:41 AM

Could you suggest a mixing service?
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:34:53 AM

Go on anonet and get a VPS from one of the services there - of course your users will also need to be on anonet too, but this way you'll not have to do the slightly unethical deception of the innocent random 3rd party hosting provider.
aahzmundus

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 02:00:43 AM

Could you suggest a mixing service?

There are many things you can do, sell bitcoins on mtgox and buy some right back is one way I could think of.  Otherwise, find a few people to do btc for btc trades with and use different wallets/addresses.

chame

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 02:55:12 AM

> 1) buy some bitcoins using USD via regular channels (these bitcoins are linked to your identity)

mine for a few weeks and get 50 virgin coins.. would buy a few months hosting..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: