Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:20:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement - ASIC mining processor by Butterfly Labs  (Read 227489 times)
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 11:54:19 AM

But all look fine :S

http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.butterflylabs.com%2F&client=googlechrome&hl=en

What is the current listing status for www.butterflylabs.com?
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 6 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2013-02-15, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days.
This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS26496 (26496).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
Over the past 90 days, www.butterflylabs.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?
No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?
In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Not anymore it doesn't

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for www.butterflylabs.com

What is the current listing status for www.butterflylabs.com?
This site is not currently listed as suspicious.

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 12 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2013-02-16, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2013-02-16.
Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including sweepstakesandcontestsdo.com/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including tureac50custome.rr.nu/.

This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS19969 (JOESDATACENTER), AS26496 (26496).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 03:10:20 PM

How did that happen?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 03:14:29 PM

Perhaps a popup company embedded something into one of thier many ads?

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:50:49 PM

Jody's putting the shipping date for BFL orders made now at May-June.  This means that when BFL ships, those people who want to use their discount vouchers in order to be "compensated" for the original delay are going to have to wait at least 2-3 months for delivery of their additional units.  They can't wait until BFL has caught up with production to order as the vouchers expire within 60 days.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/bfl_jody/85-perennial-question-when-will-my-order-ship.html

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:04:07 PM

"give me BTC and I'll give you BTC hardware to mine BTC...at what rate...is anyone's guess. But it is a "BARGAIN"....instead of letting your investment go up 600% in 8 months, just give it to me and I'll ensure the difficulty of mining goes up too before you can start mining with this SUPER DUPER ASIC HARDWARE."

Grin Grin Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:37:57 PM

BFL is a failure like none other. They claimed to have venture capital for their R&D yet...if that was TRUE they should have just did the R&D quietly until they had the product then sell it.

No need for customer pre-order money.

The way I see it is that BFL conned people into giving up their bitcoins/capital as more like a loan with 0% interest and in fact negative interest in terms of bitcoin and those suckers who did buy into it....will only get a piece of hardware that can mine (in a best case scanerio) 25% of the bitcoins it could have had it been released in the summer. 25% is a best case scenario.

BFL seriously fucked a ton of suckers up the ass with their PRE-ORDER bullshit.

Grin Grin Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

regular

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:47:22 PM

For people that paid by paypal, make sure you are still in your 120 day chargeback window for Visa and Mastercard.  As you have probably seen in the bASIC thread, some people couldn't get their money back because they were past the 120 day mark.
repentance

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 10:23:35 PM

They should have stuck with the original plan of Josh baby-sitting the chips once they left the fab - at least then BFL might have some clue what's going on. As it stands, Josh doesn't even know what's going on at the bumping facility because he can't get in touch with his contact.  

kano's silence is also deafening.  He's over in the US to report to the community on BFL's progress and hasn't posted anything since he got there.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1622

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 10:25:30 PM

They should have stuck with the original plan of Josh baby-sitting the chips once they left the fab - at least then BFL might have some clue what's going on. As it stands, Josh doesn't even know what's going on at the bumping facility because he can't get in touch with his contact.  

kano's silence is also deafening.  He's over in the US to report to the community on BFL's progress and hasn't posted anything since he got there.
Actually he's been exclusively talking at length on IRC in the cgminer channel.

Summary: Lots of activity, lots of preparation, lots of hardware ready to be assembled, but no sign of the actual chips which are in the bumping facility...

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
greyhawk

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 10:25:58 PM

kano's silence is also deafening.  He's over in the US to report to the community on BFL's progress and hasn't posted anything since he got there.

Maybe he is being reprogrammed in BFLs basement right now with the brainwashing machine they hooked Inaba up to last year.

EDIT: Or not.
LazyOtto

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 10:30:31 PM

Summary: Lots of activity, lots of preparation, lots of hardware ready to be assembled, but no sign of the actual chips which are in the bumping facility...
I'm rather surprised BFL doesn't have 'something' to show them. A jalepeno or two, perhaps at low speed, working.

After all, didn't they get some quantity of sample chips in back in December when it was determined that the original package type chosen had inadequate heat dissipation?

What, did they fry *all* of them?

-- edit --

And that would be sufficient for the software guys to work with.

The communication protocol won't have changed, just the physical implementation, with the chips in their new package type.
gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 10:35:50 PM

BFL is a failure like none other. They claimed to have venture capital for their R&D yet...if that was TRUE they should have just did the R&D quietly until they had the product then sell it.
They had to announce ASICs and a trade-in program.

When they did Enterpoint just brought their Quad-Spartan on the market with pre-order prices cheaper than BFL's own FPGA offer for approximately the same hashing speed and with nice delays. If they hadn't promised ASICs at the time with a trade-in option their cash-flow would have greatly suffered.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
repentance

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 11:06:17 PM

I'm rather surprised BFL doesn't have 'something' to show them. A jalepeno or two, perhaps at low speed, working.

After all, didn't they get some quantity of sample chips in back in December when it was determined that the original package type chosen had inadequate heat dissipation?

-- edit --

And that would be sufficient for the software guys to work with.

The communication protocol won't have changed, just the physical implementation, with the chips in their new package type.

From what little Josh has said in the last few days, they're going to test with some unpackaged chips once the bumping is done.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1190

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 11:24:28 PM

They never had chips. They came to those conclusions based on simulations.

Buy & Hold
LazyOtto

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 11:27:16 PM

But, but, but - I saw pictures!      Cheesy
greyhawk

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 11:28:40 PM

So what was on those PCBs? Boxes of air and fans?

repentance

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 11:31:34 PM

By now, BFL should have a very good idea of how many of each type of unit they're going to assemble from batch 1.  I suspect they know damned well that however they choose to allocate those first 6,000 chips is going to be controversial and that they'll hold off letting customers know how many of each unit will be shipping in Batch 1 until the last possible moment.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1190

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:16:46 AM

Not working chips, that's for sure. But don't take my word for it. Here's what Josh had to say:

Quote from: BFL_Josh
We paid a company out of California quite a bit of money to run a run of simulations under different scenarios on our boards

When BFL really does have a working chip, you'll hear about it.

Buy & Hold
LazyOtto

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:23:58 AM

Not working chips, that's for sure. But don't take my word for it. Here's what Josh had to say:

We paid a company out of California quite a bit of money to run a run of simulations under different scenarios on our boards
That is not a definitive statement regarding never receiving some chips.

My understanding is that they:
1) Got the first set of sample chips
2) Fried them during test runs
3) Then paid for the simulations
4) Then decided to change the package type
5) ... and another two month delay ensued
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 01:18:49 AM

When BFL really does have a working chip, you'll hear about it.

Which implies they have NO WORKING PROTOTYPE.

These chips that are at the bumping facility (supposedly) aren't even tested.

"Sure let's just assemble the chips on to the boards, ship them and NOT TEST THEM."

GREAT IDEA!  Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: