Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:37:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement - ASIC mining processor by Butterfly Labs  (Read 227491 times)
ziomik
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1009

SELL bitcoinmarket.net | bitcoinitalia.com SELL

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 11:19:12 AM

Butterfly Labs will not ship ASIC-based Bitforce SC products before April 2013

Close?  http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=701

Picture was posted at 1:36 AM EST.  96 minutes too late.

Reported hashrate is below 75% of the advertised hashrate, if Luke ordered a Big Single.

Supposedly the pictured device has not, in fact, been shipped to Luke, and is actually still at BFL, with the picture having been taken by Josh.

is an April Fool's joke that post.  Cool Undecided

DOMINI IN VENDITA/NOLEGGIO
bitcoinmarket.net | bitcoinitalia.com

Contattatemi pure per info.
---- +++ ----
"Se domani senti due massaie che parlano di bitcoin tra di loro dal macellaio, forse e' il momento di vendere.. se pero' le sentirai fra 10 anni forse staranno solo pagando il conto" GBianchi
---- +++ ----

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Newscastix

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:31:39 PM

Reported hashrate is below 75% of the advertised hashrate, if Luke ordered a Big Single.

Supposedly the pictured device has not, in fact, been shipped to Luke, and is actually still at BFL, with the picture having been taken by Josh.

Not only that.. this is NOT shipping ! Shipping means customers getting ordered retail units. I don't get whats there to debate about this.

What we saw is, if real, a working prototype in near final stage. A huge step nonetheless.
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:36:02 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2013, 03:46:26 PM by Otoh

Kim's BFL ASIC just arrived:

that's Kim Jong-un & not Kim Dotcom btw, here's his though:

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:40:00 PM

In the 2 actual terms of the bet a time zone was not specified.  You cannot add specifics to a bet after the fact.

Luke ordered a little single and even stated quite a few times that this is a little single.
25/30 > 75%

The unit shipped from BFL to Josh's hosting facility where Luke is in full control of the unit.   A company can hand deliver an item and it still counts as shipped.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:07:01 PM

In the 2 actual terms of the bet a time zone was not specified.  You cannot add specifics to a bet after the fact.

Luke ordered a little single and even stated quite a few times that this is a little single.
25/30 > 75%

The unit shipped from BFL to Josh's hosting facility where Luke is in full control of the unit.   A company can hand deliver an item and it still counts as shipped.

To make that argument you would have to show that the finished product is viable and useful.

Otherwise, you could slap a blank PCB on the table in front of contracted labor who <cough>purchased a unit<cough> and claim that this product is "shipped".

Claiming "it works" and it is finished and shipped is just....dumb.

It is incomplete, unstable, "shipped" at BFL's facility or those run by a BFL employee while the person "receiving it" (Luke) is in another nation and claims it has yet to be shipped "to him" via a courier to the nation of his residence.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:11:01 PM

By this same reasoning I could say that Avalon shipped earlier than January 20th.

I simply had Yifu hold it for me as he tested and transported it to his shipping department where it was "hosted" on the "test bench". Good for me, I later decided I wanted it to be shipped to my residence in another nation.

....Yes....that is right. Avalon shipped way before January 20th. <Wink, Wink>
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:20:22 PM

My 2 satoshi  on the bet:   Butterfly has not shipped, the product is not complete, they didn't win the bet.

However. I do think there is enough 'slimy gray area' in the terms of the bet that they I can dishonestly and sneakily say that they did fulfill it.

But the bets aside, the question for me (as a Ava. batch 3 preorder dude) is how far they actually are from shipping now.

It's tough to say exactly how much, but it does seem BFL is making progress now, and near the end goal.  I'm going to say they are actually going to be really done and really shipping in the first week of May. Having what they have is still a ways off of having the working production model and being able to build en masse.

Thank god I have no money in BTL or the bet. It's been amusing for me. If I had money in the BFL pot I'd probably be going absolute ape-shit insane!

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 08:54:40 PM

I'm wondering if BFL had/has a vetted interested in said bet with the way they're acting, i.e. going out of their way to post within a certain time frame. Remember, this occurred at the midnight hour, KC local time, and clearly at the KC facility on the same workbench as shown in the YT video. They could've easily called it a night early being Easter Sunday, resuming the task Monday morning. Odd!

~Bruno K~
punin

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 09:00:26 PM

I'm wondering if BFL had/has a vetted interested in said bet with the way they're acting, i.e. going out of their way to post within a certain time frame. Remember, this occurred at the midnight hour, KC local time, and clearly at the KC facility on the same workbench as shown in the YT video. They could've easily called it a night early being Easter Sunday, resuming the task Monday morning. Odd!

~Bruno K~

I think it's rather obvious that Josh has bet a good sum on delivering before april Smiley

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
ziomik
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1009

SELL bitcoinmarket.net | bitcoinitalia.com SELL

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 09:03:57 PM

Not worth anything. BFL has not delivered its product. The bet is WON. "Butterfly Labs will not ship" before April 1.

DOMINI IN VENDITA/NOLEGGIO
bitcoinmarket.net | bitcoinitalia.com

Contattatemi pure per info.
---- +++ ----
"Se domani senti due massaie che parlano di bitcoin tra di loro dal macellaio, forse e' il momento di vendere.. se pero' le sentirai fra 10 anni forse staranno solo pagando il conto" GBianchi
---- +++ ----
peasant

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 09:17:04 PM

So who actually decides the winner? When is this gonna get sorted out?
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 11:17:50 PM

If the photo of the BFL ASIC unit running at 25gh is real, Then there is a Major issue with the unit

122 Hardware Faults in 43minutes is NOT a good sign

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:15:34 AM
Last edit: April 02, 2013, 09:45:53 PM by kano

If the photo of the BFL ASIC unit running at 25gh is real, Then there is a Major issue with the unit
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=755&amp;d=1364793240
122 Hardware Faults in 43minutes is NOT a good sign
43 minutes of 25GH/s = ~15,017 1diff shares
122 = ~0.8%
Yes that's high - but, well, when you use the wrong software, who knows what problems you'll find Tongue
That software bricks Avalons, who knows what it does to BFL SC's Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:20:52 AM

With no fans on there, I'm assuming the heatsink is doing its job. Maybe it really is just the board itself drawing too much power. I'm not sure why they went with an aluminum finned sink when the idea is compactness. I guess with the original power estimates it would have been plenty and much lighter.
ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:50:17 PM

How do you dissipate 180 W with such a small heatsink w/o active cooling (fan)?
That's not possible. Or the chips are running @ 150+ °C, so they will die within a few days. Or hours.

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:47:38 PM

How do you dissipate 180 W with such a small heatsink w/o active cooling (fan)?
That's not possible. Or the chips are running @ 150+ °C, so they will die within a few days. Or hours.

According to Luke-Jr there is a fan not shown on the picture, but I agree :
  • there is no forced airflow through the fins (the fan can only be on the side as it isn't on the picture)
  • the heatsink fins are tightly spaced (optimized for high airflow)

So even if there is a fan it can't be very effective. I can't imagine the heatsink being anywhere good enough to keep chips generating 100+W cool. If you ever had a 100W CPU crunching data with a fan failure even with a case fan just next to the CPU you know this can't last long.

180W in this space is just a fire hazard. Surprisingly the board seems to be running fine for quite some time (at least according to the graph on eligius for the mining address used I saw earlier, can't find it again).
So either something is missing or a large part of the power is dissipated in the power brick (someone should check how hot it is).

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:09:43 PM

[...]
Surprisingly the board seems to be running fine for quite some time (at least according to the graph on eligius for the mining address used I saw earlier, can't find it again).

Here we go: http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1CdcYVP4T4hjHwt353pEnGHrigeDLvuvZL

Probably better to have it in more than one thread I suppose.

chrcoe01

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 06:49:52 PM

this seems to show they had a fan propped up next to it (at least during this video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C4bgho5JSI

"You may delay, but time will not, and lost time is never found again." -Benjamin Franklin
Zotia

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

TokenUnion-Get Rewarded for Holding Crypto

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:36:16 AM

Not worth anything. BFL has not delivered its product. The bet is WON. "Butterfly Labs will not ship" before April 1.

I agree, but betsofbitco.in said it was a draw!

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=701

WTF??

▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████
███████                ██████
███████                ██████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
███████▀▀▀▀██    ██▀▀▀▀███████
███████    ██    ██    ███████
███████    ▀██▄▄██▀    ███████
███████▄     ▀▀▀▀     ▄███████
████████▄            ▄████████
██████████▄▄      ▄▄██████████
██████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
.TokenUnion.

Reinventing Savings via Cryptoeconomically
Incentivized Holding

████▄▄▄
   ██  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄
   ██        ▀▀▀███▄
  ██     ▄██▄     ██
  ██     ▀██▀     ██
 ██   ███▄▄▄     ██
 ██     ▀▀▀███   ██
██   ███▄▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀███   ██
▀███▄▄▄        ██
   ▀▀▀████▄▄▄  ██
         ▀▀▀████
WP
■  Telegram     ■  Github
            ■  Reddit     ■  Twitter
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 03:36:37 AM

I agree, but betsofbitco.in said it was a draw!

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=701

WTF??

I have no money in this.  Clearly by the bet rules BFL did not ship.  I can not see how betsofbitco.in maintains credibility with this decision.

The primary reason is the title of the bet itself and the word SHIP.  Nothing has shipped.  Case closed.  Beyond that:

"Before April 1st 2013, at least one BFL customer with a bitcointalk.org forum account established prior to the bet's opening date shall post detailed and credible photos of the device on the forum, including photos of it operating, and report its hashrate. This customer cannot be a BFL employee. "

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: