FDA Recruits Minors For Online Cigarette Purchases

<< < (2/3) > >>

Wilikon:
Quote from: jaysabi on December 02, 2014, 04:47:21 PM

Quote from: TECSHARE on December 02, 2014, 01:05:07 AM

Quote from: jaysabi on December 01, 2014, 04:05:28 PM

This is a weird departure from standard practice. Any speculation as to why they would deliberately do this?

A convoluted form of entrapment. I am willing to bet they target "vape" sites primarily. The FDA has shown itself to be little more than a tool of selective enforcement designed to protect industry monopolies.

Right, but they were already engaging in entrapment by using people posing as minors. Now they're actually using minors. I'm just wondering why they changed their entrapment program. It seems like a meaningless change, but it was deliberate, so there has to be a reason for it.

...Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

Pure power wants more power. Think of it as Political Gravity.... You see it all the time, no matter the scale, the number of people, were they live, etc...

jaysabi:
Quote from: Wilikon on December 02, 2014, 05:29:00 PM

Quote from: jaysabi on December 02, 2014, 04:47:21 PM

Quote from: TECSHARE on December 02, 2014, 01:05:07 AM

Quote from: jaysabi on December 01, 2014, 04:05:28 PM

This is a weird departure from standard practice. Any speculation as to why they would deliberately do this?

A convoluted form of entrapment. I am willing to bet they target "vape" sites primarily. The FDA has shown itself to be little more than a tool of selective enforcement designed to protect industry monopolies.

Right, but they were already engaging in entrapment by using people posing as minors. Now they're actually using minors. I'm just wondering why they changed their entrapment program. It seems like a meaningless change, but it was deliberate, so there has to be a reason for it.

...Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

Pure power wants more power. Think of it as Political Gravity.... You see it all the time, no matter the scale, the number of people, were they live, etc...

I subscribe to Occam's Razor, but the conclusion still has to make sense. I don't see how using minors to buy cigarettes plays into your political gravity theory, or increases power for the FDA.

I was wondering if using minors in the sting somehow allows them to push for steeper penalties, but that makes little sense as well. But for as little sense as that makes, I can't currently think of any other reason they would be doing this.

Swordsoffreedom:
This seems like a baiting more than anything else, I don't think this would stand up in a court of law.
Hard to verify a persons age online, since it is not meeting someone in person
If they deny the credit card then they are in the clear I guess.

jaysabi:
Quote from: Swordsoffreedom on December 02, 2014, 10:15:44 PM

This seems like a baiting more than anything else, I don't think this would stand up in a court of law.

I would think it would be baiting whether or not actual minors are used, but apparently it's not, because these sting operations are a standard practice.

TECSHARE:
Quote from: jaysabi on December 03, 2014, 10:07:49 PM

Quote from: Swordsoffreedom on December 02, 2014, 10:15:44 PM

I would think it would be baiting whether or not actual minors are used, but apparently it's not, because these sting operations are a standard practice.

Using actual minors might be what puts the actual penalty of law into effect. Additionally I bet they use this as cause for large civil asset forfeitures, really crushing small business competition. The whole department gets free vape sets!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page