Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:04:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The TRUTH about Darkcoin: ZERO Anonymity, EASY DOS attacks, & Amateur code base!  (Read 8962 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
winteriscoming5 (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:22:14 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2014, 05:12:59 AM by winteriscoming5

Investors Beware:

• Darkcoin is NOT anonymous.  Every transaction can be automatically traced with a Darkcoin de-anonymizer.
  • Darkcoin is prone to several cost-less DOS attacks that can destroy the whole network.
  • Darkcoin code was written by amateurs who do not properly understand cryptography.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/DRKCoin/comments/2nyifp/darkcoin_seriosuly_flawed_zero_anonymity_and/

From reddit:

hello friends,
please do not get confused by the fact, that I am a fresh user. In fact, I am very actively involed in crypto currencies but remaining anonymous requires certain countermeasures.

IN SHORT
It does not require many words to describe the problem. Darkcoin's code base remembers me of my childhood where I started coding on my AMIGA. Functions that easily can be implemented in O(1) are in fact implemented in polynomial complexity (like O(n5) or something). But this is not the problem.

The biggest problem is, that while indeed being savvy the developers have not much background knowledge about crypto and (in general) the very exact details about the bitcoin/darkcoin/whatever protocol.

After excessively revieweing the code and verifying everything on an offline testbox very scary facts popped up:

• Darkcoin is prone to DOS attacks, there are at least 3 (confirmed) ways you can DOS the complete network at no cost at all. You do not even lose your collateral tx.
  • More critical: Darkcoin has no anonymity. There is a very easy and reliable way to link inputs to outputs in every single Darksend (as well as automatic denonimating) transaction.

As I know the open source community, I will not get anything from publishing my ideas and helping to fix them. So I want to inform you, that I will shortly setup a "Darkcoin Deanonymizer" which will for every single darksend transaction be able to link incoming and outcoing transactions.

ALRIGHT, DUE TO EXCESSIVE TROLLING ACCUSATIONS I DISCLOSE ONE OF THREE DOS ATTACKS ON DARKCOIN HERE --- just for a start

Alright, I will disclose one of three DOS attacks right now.

Attack: You can destroy all darksend processes by not signing and not losing any of your collaterals ... sabotage for free basically.

Reason: When you push your collateral to the masternode it is incorrectly checked for validity.

Check: IsCollateralValid() in darksend.cpp - line 874ff

It basically checks:
  • are all inputs correct
  • are all outputs correct
  • wtxCollateral.IsAcceptable(true, false)

however, transaction with a nLockTime in the future are also passing "IsAcceptable". So push a collateral with a locktime 10000 blocks ahead, and you will never lose it because it will not make it into any block thus easily can be replaced by another one with a higher nSequence number.

This is SERIOUS and can destroy the whole network.

3 other DOS points are there as well.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:42:49 AM

Attack: You can destroy all darksend processes by not signing and not losing any of your collaterals ... sabotage for free basically.

Reason: When you push your collateral to the masternode it is incorrectly checked for validity.

Check: IsCollateralValid() in darksend.cpp - line 874ff

It basically checks:
are all inputs correct
are all outputs correct
wtxCollateral.IsAcceptable(true, false)

however, transaction with a nLockTime in the future are also passing "IsAcceptable". So push a collateral with a locktime 10000 blocks ahead, and you will never lose it because it will not make it into any block thus easily can be replaced by another one with a higher nSequence number.

Couldn't this be fixed in about 5 minutes?

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 04:31:10 AM

I would think so. The more interesting question here is the "Darkcoin Deanonymizer". There are several possibilities here:
1) This is pure FUD.
2) The OP actually sets up the "Darkcoin Deanonymizer" and it works.
3) The OP provides the exploit to the Darkcoin developers and they provide a fix that preserves Darkcoin anonymity.
4) The OP provides the exploit to the Darkcoin developers and they cannot provide a fix that preserves Darkcoin anonymity.

Care to bet on "odd" or "even" above?

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
UnicornFarts

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 05:00:53 AM

I would think so. The more interesting question here is the "Darkcoin Deanonymizer". There are several possibilities here:
1) This is pure FUD.
2) The OP actually sets up the "Darkcoin Deanonymizer" and it works.
3) The OP provides the exploit to the Darkcoin developers and they provide a fix that preserves Darkcoin anonymity.
4) The OP provides the exploit to the Darkcoin developers and they cannot provide a fix that preserves Darkcoin anonymity.

Care to bet on "odd" or "even" above?

probably should check with ole BCX ... heard he's in the market to redeem his name and cause some drama.

Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 06:41:57 AM

Interesting developments, will BCX break DarkCoin? I guess only time will sell, price is currently at 0.00612000

jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 06:55:53 AM

Interesting developments, will BCX break DarkCoin?

"If it bleeds, [you] can kill it." Arnold  Schwarzenegger

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 07:42:31 AM

He is probably being melodramatic about the dead change anonymity issue. See here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/dead-change-an-anonymity-issue.3019/

It has been discussed at length with the team and a fix posted by DRK dev here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/change-contracts-using-atomic-transfers.3067/

Nothing to worry about, if there are code bugs, Evan would release a patch within an hour or two. This has happened a few times before.
BitcoinEXpress
Legendary

Activity: 1210

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 07:47:50 AM

He is probably being melodramatic about the dead change anonymity issue. See here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/dead-change-an-anonymity-issue.3019/

It has been discussed at length with the team and a fix posted by DRK dev here: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/change-contracts-using-atomic-transfers.3067/

Nothing to worry about, if there are code bugs, Evan would release a patch within an hour or two. This has happened a few times before.

Pretty much what I said.

~BCX~
numismatist
Legendary

Activity: 1245
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:06:34 AM

Interesting developments, will BCX break DarkCoin? I guess only time will sell, price is currently at 0.00612000

You meant "only time will tell", or did you wanted to say it is selling time?

Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:15:37 AM

You meant "only time will tell", or did you wanted to say it is selling time?

Not sure what you mean by this, are you selling your coins?
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 12:46:55 PM

Can these servers be shut down by governments?
defunctec
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:57:57 PM

Can these servers be shut down by governments?

Very easy, you should just check what they done to TOR, then you will notice that they could easy de-anonymize Darkcoin.
But i think Evan Duffield know that they only have a pseudo anonymizer.

First you say darkcoin uses one server, then you are corrected and told the number is more like 1240 individual servers,
but still the venom splats all over my screen.
Masternodes are hosted on different VPS providers, different locations all around the world and will soon be hosted by individuals!

What has servers being shut down by the government got to do with de-anonymization?
Shutting masternode servers down would not de-anonymize darkcoin? I don't understand what your saying?

I think you are mixing stories here.

You are infact talking about the majority of exit nodes on the tor network being FED controlled, and the parallels between tornodes and Darks masternodes.

Currently

1240 Masternodes
($2,952,000)

To have a 40% chance of de-anonimizing the network with 8 rounds of mixing, you would currently have to hold 90% of the masternodes. This means going into the market and buying 1,120,000 darkcoins.
This would push the price of dark into the billions, market would become bullish, removing coins from the market. I don't think someone could buy that amount of coins in the first place.
Also the price of darkcoin being so high, insentivises new investors to buy and setup more masternodes - further de-centralizing the network.
flipme

Activity: 2170
Merit: 640

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 06:23:31 PM

Put up or shut up, fudder.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
flipme

Activity: 2170
Merit: 640

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 06:25:50 PM

Put up or shut up, fudder.

This is a moderated Thread if you think i'm fudding for telling the truth then why don't you try to Censor me ?

You're not worth it.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 06:33:54 PM

You still think the Government will buy any coins from Darkcoin just to shut it down ? This theorie is laughable when you have centralized server system which can be hacked or shutdown. No VPN will save you from this.

You cannot shut down an architecture which is decentralised.

I think you're confusing the word "centralised" with the "2-tier" and trying to make out they're the same thing. They are not the same thing.

A "centralised" network is one that has a single central controlling authority. A decentralised one is a network that does not. (The clue is in the word single.)

Nor is it a question of number. There could be only 2 masternodes in the entire world and it still wouldn't be centralised because those 2 masternodes could not prevent another 50,000 from spouting up elsewhere. In other words those 2 masternodes do not constitute a central controlling authority.

As for "buying them all up", if you properly think it through to its ultimate conclusion then even that doesn't work. Although it's a hypothetical possibility, Darkcoin belongs to a technological generation which is characterised by open source reproducibility. Everything can be reproduced: if masternode ownership gets compromised, new ones will appear. If the entire network gets compromised, a new one can just spring up elsewhere.

It isn't a viable proposition because there isn't one aspect of the Darkcoin network - or for any other cryptocurrency network - that can't be extended or reproduced. The reason for that. again, is that there is no single controlling authority (i.e. it's decentralised).

Far from being a weakness, Darkcoin's masternode network gives it massive redundancy because whatever the merits of its particular mixing algos at any given moment, they can be re-applied many times pre-emptively as opposed to having "only one shot at it" when a user performs a transaction.

IMO, Darkcoin stands at the door of very widescale adoption right now because in addition to all the above, it also retains the legacy commercial interface which makes it readily adoptable by new and existing vendors.

All round - it's the business !

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 07:02:09 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2014, 07:30:13 PM by toknormal

Scenario, Government is telling most of their cooperated country's to ban/filter all connection to the Masternode server, since they are hosted by mainly a VPN which has rules as when you don't follow them means your details will be released to Government authorities.

So what you will do if no VPN or country will allow you to host a Masternode server ?

That's true. For example quite a lot of masternodes are hosted on Amazon and the government could just instruct Amazon to boot anyone off that's hosting a Darkcoin masternode.

But lets think this through for a minute. For that to happen, Darkcoin would have to have been successful enough to pose a significant threat in one way or another. It's not the type of thing that they could do clandestinely.

Secondly, (and this is where the "decentralised" aspect comes in) masternodes can upped in minutes on any server - it doesn't have to be in any particular country or with a commercial hoster. If you take a look at the current coverage map, they're all over the place - the US, Europe, Asia, Russia, Australia.

Thirdly, you're only addressing the technology the way it's configured at the moment. This is an evolving project. It's already blown way past many of the limitations of only a few months ago - not least the fact that the anonymisation is now done pre-emptively rather than in realtime which makes it almost independent of any weaknesses in whatever mixing algorithm is might use due to massive redundancy.

That ability to make such quantum leap architectural revisions to address emerging issues from trialling is thanks to the 2-tier design which keeps the blockchain integrity solid while allowing for more fundamental development in the masternode network. Whatever limitations are imposed by that design, you can expect them to be addressed with similar success as work goes on.

EDIT: In fact it's being done as we speak: https://darkcointalk.org/threads/instantx-testing-v10-17.3083/page-28#post-31968
defunctec
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:13:14 PM

Sorry, maybe i have should use "Darkcoin uses Central Servers" couldn't see that people are that shallow not to see its a central system.
And by the way, what it have to do with de-anonymization ? Who is mixing your network would you say? Santa claus ?

1240 Masternodes
($2,952,000)

To have a 40% chance of de-anonimizing the network with 8 rounds of mixing, you would currently have to hold 90% of the masternodes. This means going into the market and buying 1,120,000 darkcoins.
This would push the price of dark into the billions, market would become bullish, removing coins from the market. I don't think someone could buy that amount of coins in the first place.
Also the price of darkcoin being so high, insentivises new investors to buy and setup more masternodes - further de-centralizing the network.

Using same argument on and on which is totally not true.

You still think the Government will buy any coins from Darkcoin just to shut it down ? This theorie is laughable when you have centralized server system which can be hacked or shutdown. No VPN will save you from this.

You know i usually encrypt my secret messages with a 1240 x Rot13 encryption just to be sure its secure.
Same thing with having 5 Firewalls won't give you any advances in security

I agree that the "buying darkcoin to destroy darkcoin" is laughable, your absolutely correct! It's a ridicules idea that one entity could even buy the amount needed to subvert the network in that way, thanks for supporting that.

Definition-Centralize

concentrate (control of an activity or organization) under a single authority.

Masternodes are not quite centralized, as the majority of nodes are hosted on 2 VPS providers (Amazon/Vultr).
This is a problem i agree, but at this point its more of proof of concept, if MN become more profitable to run,
the incentive will emerge to setup your own mini "datacenter" and host the node from your own home.

I'm already considering this.

Now if at least 10% of the current network did this, 126 individual nodes would be live. The hacker would need to attack each node individually.
And so what if he did? Darksend's process picks a masternode randomly, how would the attacker know which node to attack at a specific time if the selection process isn't already determined?

In relation to your comment's on security, I use at least 8 round's of mixing  Cool
bitboy11

Activity: 534
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 09:52:56 AM

OP really does seem to be a fudder... Tongue
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2014, 11:26:38 PM

I normally stay well clear of these debates, for obvious reasons, but I do get frustrated when I see well-articulated responses from people who are clearly intelligent advocating this obviously broken architecture, mostly through much hand-waving and placating each other.

Masternodes have to be available and connected to in real time in order to be used. Mixing is based entirely on their availability. Thus, in order to control a substantial number of masternodes one merely has to own a handful, and make the rest of the masternode network unreachable.

For even a script-kiddie-level attacker these techniques and funds are easily found.

Need to render 1100 masternodes unreachable? No problem - SNMP amplification attacks will let you use a handful of boxes to amplify the bandwidth under your control. When a datacenter sees a clear flood of traffic for a particular IP address at the datacenter their response is always automatic and the same - their upstream data provider blackholes that IP address at the upstream bordergate. This means that you can use SNMP or DNS amplification attacks to render a dedicated machine (never mind a VPS) inoperable and unreachable to the outside world.

The most critical take away for you today is that this problem is unsolvable at the userland level. In other words, no matter how much dev worship there is there isn't a magical line of code that can be written that can prevent amplification attacks from devices and servers that are unrelated to and unconnected to the Darkcoin network. It is something that cannot be controlled or influenced.

The solution would literally be for Darkcoin to scrap masternodes and go back to the proverbial drawing board to find an architecture that uses passive blockchain mixing or similar, but I suspect it is too late and there are too many stubborn heads for that.

Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 03:28:28 AM

Drk is weak
Buy ShadowCash the next big thing..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: