Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:33:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sentiment feels much alike 2012 (spring to summer)  (Read 2000 times)
8up (OP)

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 10:18:53 AM

The sentiment feels much alike, when I first entered bitcoin in 2012. I bought some coins because I liked the tech aspects/possibilities of Bitcoin (I even haven't looked at any charts, when I entered back then Cool) - compare this to the current talk about THE blockchain - especially the praise for the technological aspects of it.

What I conclude from this:

• It is not bubble time yet. Might take it's time (3 to 9 month). My best guess would be march.
  • People will get in because they are amazed by the technological possibilities (and the conveniance compared to 2012),  not beacuse of an over-hyped price!

What is your sentiment? - especially, when you entered bitcoin before the 2013 bubbles.

Always wrong until not.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 10:29:45 AM

I tend to agree!
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 11:20:45 AM

The sentiment feels much alike, when I first entered bitcoin in 2012. I bought some coins because I liked the tech aspects/possibilities of Bitcoin (I even haven't looked at any charts, when I entered back then Cool) - compare this to the current talk about THE blockchain - especially the praise for the technological aspects of it.

• It is not bubble time yet. Might take it's time (3 to 9 month). My best guess would be march.
  • People will get in because they are amazed by the technological possibilities (and the conveniance compared to 2012),  not beacuse of an over-hyped price!

What is your sentiment? - especially, when you entered bitcoin before the 2013 bubbles.

i wasn't here in 2012, so i ask: there were so much pessimism about btc on 2012? i don't think so.. Sad
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 11:47:37 AM

i wasn't here in 2012, so i ask: there were so much pessimism about btc on 2012? i don't think so.. Sad

there was plenty, and nowhere near the infrastructure reassurances that exist today.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
sniveling

Activity: 719
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 12:56:02 PM

This post from back then seems as bearish as some of today's.

Bitcoin block reward drops to 25BTC.

Most people appear to be mining/trading Bitcoin purely for profit.

Most of the hashrate is lost due to GPU miners becoming unprofitable as the price does not double, but only increases 25% or so.

Only FPGA miners and hobbyists securing the network.

This makes the 51% attack much more probable.

51% attack takes place and much trust is lost in Bitcoin.

The end?
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 01:34:05 PM

Most of the hashrate is lost due to GPU miners becoming unprofitable as the price does not double, but only increases 25% or so.

The end?

There were people pessimistic about BTCeanie BTCbabies as an investment, and the price just kept on climbing.
Those incredulous fools became the butt of BTCeanie partisans' jokes when BTCeanie prices reached ATH.
And here we are, gentlemen.  Take from this what you will Undecided

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:38:32 PM

this is nothing compared to the pessimism then.
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:48:54 PM

The end?

There were people pessimistic about BTCeanie BTCbabies as an investment, and the price just kept on climbing.
Those incredulous fools became the butt of BTCeanie partisans' jokes when BTCeanie prices reached ATH.

There was people comparing Bitcoin to tulips back in 2012 too.
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:51:15 PM

Let's hope they're not going to rub it in your face once they're proven right Undecided
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 02:55:47 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2014, 03:06:58 PM by Dafar

Are we still considered "early adopters" when there are people like you who entered in 2011 and 2013 2012 and seen 3000%+ increase in price?

I feel like we are late majority honestly, completely based on price, not acceptance

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 03:03:06 PM

Are we still considered "early adopters" when there are people like you who entered in 2011 and 2013 and seen 3000%+ increase in price?

I feel like we are late majority honestly, completely based on price, not acceptance

My point, pretty much.  There are a few early adopters who didn't profit-take by selling on the way up.  They will try to convince you that you're an early adopter.  Because your hodling & buying increases the value of the stash they hold.

ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 05:59:36 PM

Let's hope they're not going to rub it in your face once they're proven right Undecided

"once they're"?

They've been consistently proven wrong so far, I'm perfectly content to watch them try to make incongruous parallels and continue to be wrong.
sniveling

Activity: 719

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 06:04:01 PM

"once they're"?

They've been consistently proven wrong so far, I'm perfectly content to watch them try to make incongruous parallels and continue to be wrong.

Tulips only had one big rally but bitcoin's already had more than one.
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 06:46:05 PM

Wrong sentiment, nothing like 2012. It should be either like June (bearish) or July (bullish) 2013, or like September (bearish) or November (bullish) 2011.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 07:56:43 PM

And here we are, gentlemen.  Take from this what you will Undecided

"once they're"?

Bitcoin has been tanking for a year, so hard to say what you could possibly be trying to say here.
Continue holding the bag, greater fools are essential to this market.  It would have been far more difficult for me to make money if not for finance enthusiasts such as yourself losing it.
SmoothCurves

Activity: 379

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:06:35 PM

And here we are, gentlemen.  Take from this what you will Undecided

"once they're"?

Bitcoin has been tanking for a year, so hard to say what you could possibly be trying to say here.
Continue holding the bag, greater fools are essential to this market.  It would have been far more difficult for me to make money if not for finance enthusiasts such as yourself losing it.

LOL Tanking? You mean a normal market correction after 2 major rallies that took the price from $13 to $1100? You've been spending the night at Professor Bitcorn too often.
NotLambchop

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:11:40 PM

^
Use any euphemism you wish, as long as it means "losing most of its value" Smiley
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:25:53 PM

Care to prove you have in fact made a dime over the last year? You are on record for saying that you can neither make head nor tail of the market movements now the 'bigger boys' have turned up. Doesn't stop you posting negative tripe 24/7 though!

NotLambchop

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:41:40 PM

Care to prove you have in fact made a dime over the last year? You are on record for saying that you can neither make head nor tail of the market movements now the 'bigger boys' have turned up. Doesn't stop you posting negative tripe 24/7 though!

No, I don't care to prove anything to you.  I'm on record as saying that since around a year ago, I have neither made nor lost significant sums, and have traded only pocket lint--AKA gambled, for entertainment. 
Now stop being a pest.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:49:49 PM

No, I don't care to prove anything to you.  I'm on record as saying that since around a year ago, I have neither made nor lost significant sums, and have traded only pocket lint--AKA gambled, for entertainment. 
Now stop being a pest.

Then stop being a pest. You're on this forum and post here more than most of us. You are clearly obsessed with Bitcoin. Maybe you need treatment

Severe stupidity. Acute propensity to self-injure.

Yup, sounds about right

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 08:57:48 PM

OMG, there was much much more. It was harder to argue with the haters then, we didn't know where any of this was going. But every single day back then, as now, someone discovered a fatal flaw in bitcoin. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 09:42:51 PM

there was plenty, and nowhere near the infrastructure reassurances that exist today.

^ This.

2012 and the second half of 2011 were quite pessimistic. Bitcoin had gone from <$1 to $32 in a couple months, then bled from $32 to <$2 over the course of 5-6 months. With no infrastructure development, no VC money, no high-profile entrepreneurs, economists, major merchants, or government departments taking any positive interest at all. Price stood near $4 for most of the first half of 2012, IIRC, and many people had left Bitcoin for dead.

And without any real-economic activity, infrastructure, or mindshare, it was a MUCH more pessimistic situation than today.

To anyone who was around in those times, it's quite easy to chuckle at today's short-sighted naysayers. The success Bitcoin has had since 2011 is incredible. This has all happened *much* faster than I thought it would.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 04:40:35 AM

^ This.

2012 and the second half of 2011 were quite pessimistic. Bitcoin had gone from <$1 to $32 in a couple months, then bled from $32 to <$2 over the course of 5-6 months. With no infrastructure development, no VC money, no high-profile entrepreneurs, economists, major merchants, or government departments taking any positive interest at all. Price stood near $4 for most of the first half of 2012, IIRC, and many people had left Bitcoin for dead.

And without any real-economic activity, infrastructure, or mindshare, it was a MUCH more pessimistic situation than today.

To anyone who was around in those times, it's quite easy to chuckle at today's short-sighted naysayers. The success Bitcoin has had since 2011 is incredible. This has all happened *much* faster than I thought it would.

On the one hand, time flies when you immerse yourself in Bitcoin. On the other hand, the volatility ages you!
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: