Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:51:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Venmo App part of Bitcoin Downfall?  (Read 2053 times)
jcoin200 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 04:51:50 PM

I was told about the app "Venmo" where you can send money for free though an app on your phone.  Its very easy, a lot easier than using btc.  One of the big things btc supporters tout is how easy it is to send money, well this app does just that.  Does anyone else think apps/companies like this are slowly making btc useless?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jyakulis

Activity: 468
Merit: 250

J

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 04:55:26 PM

Oh for crying out loud, another one? People don't want to use central bank fiat. That's the advantage. Go use the app if you don't want to use bitcoin.

bitcoin address: 35CezzikPXjx4QmTgpeU3ByQ42s8mVcbaF
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 05:06:42 PM

There is nothing new about Venmo. You send them money then they pass it on.  Huh
If you buy with a credit card you pay 3% and are subject to all the rules of fiat. Can I send it to my friend in Botswana?

As far as I can tell it is no different than paying someone with a credit card except that it requires less typing because you have to set up and fund an account in advance. Bitcoin is actually revolutionary and faces no threat from a remix of the same old cobbled together systems.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Is Venmo really completely free?

To help cover processing costs, there is a 3% fee per payment for credit cards and non-major debit cards.

Almost, but if you happen to use a credit card or shitty bank, you most certainly have fees.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 06:15:24 PM

This is awesome, another 2 bit entry to help create chaos and confusion in the e-payment space. A seething boiling stew of me-too payment apps and proprietary systems.

I like this situation because, merchants are just gonna say "Aaaaargh, enough! What payment system is device, national currency, and country agnostic? We'll just go with that one.."

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
leopard2
Legendary

Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 09:19:55 PM

Venom is just another Painpal clone; reversible and they are in control, not you

Thats like saying, who needs cars if there are buses and trains  Roll Eyes

Truth is the new hatespeech.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 02, 2014, 09:29:08 PM

Venom is just another Painpal clone; reversible and they are in control, not you

Thats like saying, who needs cars if there are buses and trains  Roll Eyes

Haha. That is an apt analogy.  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
segvec

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

The cheddar breed jealousy

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 02:34:51 AM

I was told about the app "Venmo" where you can send money for free though an app on your phone.  Its very easy, a lot easier than using btc.  One of the big things btc supporters tout is how easy it is to send money, well this app does just that.  Does anyone else think apps/companies like this are slowly making btc useless?

The big thing is people not wanting to support banks/fiat.
You are not educated enough when it comes to bitcoin.

Do your own due diligence bub.

▓▓▓▓   New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange            → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓   Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2014, 06:16:38 AM

For the record, I use both venmo and bitcoin.

I do agree that Venmo is a REALLY good company and they have a bright future against paypal!

But, I believe this will have nothing to do with bitcoin, because bitcoin has many more features than just easy fund transfers.

KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 03:39:36 PM

This is really Apples/Oranges comparison.

Bitcoin is a protocol, an open source set of procedures and policies in software that can be used by anyone, for really "anything".

Similar to "e-mail" which is not OWNED by anyone, or any company, but can be used by anyone: nobody "owns" or controls e-mail but you can "use email" via Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, Joe's Independent E-Mail Provider, etc.  Whatever.

In the early days of the evolution of the INTERNET, there was America Online.

AOL provided an easy, simple interface to using e-mail that a lot of people, beginners at the time, THOUGHT was all there was to e-mail... and they often even thought that AOL was "The Internet" entirely itself.

That didn't last long though: eventually "The Internet" evolved up, up and away!  And it's evolved way beyond what only AOL could ever possibly control. 

NOW we have Skype, Facebook, BitTorrent, TOR and the darknet... never mind a zillion different ways to use and access e-mail.

And AOL is a distant memory, barely used anymore at all by anyone and hardly even remembered much.

So, what is the OP here saying, TL;DR ....? 

"Could the VENMO "app" stop bitcoin?"   

Well, ask yourself: did AOL's simple & easy e-mail service STOP the total evolution of the INTERNET (not just email) into what we have today?  Grin

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
jcoin200 (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 03:53:41 PM

The big thing is people not wanting to support banks/fiat.
You are not educated enough when it comes to bitcoin.

Do your own due diligence bub.

Except 99.9% of people do use banks/govt issue fiat, only maybe 0.1% of people use bitcoin, if that.

And believe me, I am educated when it comes to bitcoin.  I'm not saying I personally use that app or endorse it, but when you tell a person about how they can use bitcoin chances are they will say, "I can already do that with this Venmo app!"  Just pointing out that companies are taking note of bitcoin, and making it harder for your average joe to go through the hassle of learning how to use bitcoin and then actually getting some to use.
leopard2
Legendary

Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 09:47:11 PM

on a side note, venmo is a massive scammer vehicle on localbitcoins, just like painpal, people use venmo payment and then reverse it

Truth is the new hatespeech.
wesk1212

Activity: 486
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 11:06:47 PM

Oh for crying out loud, another one? People don't want to use central bank fiat. That's the advantage. Go use the app if you don't want to use bitcoin.

Where are you from?
i live in USA ppl here rarely have problem with current fiat.

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2014, 11:10:32 PM

Speaking of Venmo, that reminds me of a huge disappointment I had recently:

I had gotten an issue of Businessweek in the mail, and on the cover was a large photo of someone cutting a cash-filled wallet in half with scissors. The headline on the cover read-
"The wallet's days are numbered. And the cashless world already has its first big winner."

I opened up the magazine excitedly, waiting to find the main article detailing Bitcoin's revolutionary payment features.

Instead the whole story was about Venmo, and how it is revolutionizing the cashless, electronic, person-to-person payment.
Fucking Venmo

Swing, and a miss, Businessweek.

jcoin200 (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 11:17:10 PM

Speaking of Venmo, that reminds me of a huge disappointment I had recently:

I had gotten an issue of Businessweek in the mail, and on the cover was a large photo of someone cutting a cash-filled wallet in half with scissors. The headline on the cover read-
"The wallet's days are numbered. And the cashless world already has its first big winner."

I opened up the magazine excitedly, waiting to find the main article detailing Bitcoin's revolutionary payment features.

Instead the whole story was about Venmo, and how it is revolutionizing the cashless, electronic, person-to-person payment.
Fucking Venmo

But the thing is they are right. You can't underestimate how brainwashed the majority of people are into the idea tat there is only one way to pay/get paid (fiat). I think part of the larger problems in getting more people to use bit coin is getting them to realize the govt fiat system does NOT have everyone's best interest in mind. Then they would realize how beneficial a block chain system can be when it comes to accountablity.
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2014, 11:27:18 PM

Fully agree man, sadly.

Here is Henry Ford's famous quote from 1922 regarding the US's flawed system:

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.

^ This quote is still so relevant today.

Don't disturb the sheep and their complacency towards the system; don't rock the boat.

Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 11:54:39 PM

Also attributed to Mark Twain I believe.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 11:56:50 PM

They are alternatively mildly positive, but more often highly contemptuous of bitcoin.

jcoin200 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 12:42:01 AM

So really I'm not saying I'm all for the venmo app, I have never personally used it, but when I heard of it this past week I instantly thought "wow that is something i could already do with bitcoin!"

It seems that companies are taking note, and doing everything they can to get into the payment game, which seems to be a hot market right now.

Furthermore, I do not think the US can sustain the level of spending that is being expanded every single day by the current administration.  I think its pretty clear that when you have exponentially growing national debt, that America as a whole is headed down a bad road.  So dont think I'm advocating this app, I'm simply stating that most people would be much more inclined to use this app then learn/use bitcoin.
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 01:07:07 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Venmo adds bitcoin functionality to their app, honestly.  Someone should suggest it.  I might myself, but the next several days are crazy, so if you're reading this, feel free to do it.

I read the BusinessWeek article - it was pretty interesting.  And yes, they charge to use credit cards because credit cards charge the merchants (Venmo in this case) to use credit cards - a lot of their subscribers were just using Venmo to get credit card rewards points and since they originally didn't charge for credit card use, they were seriously hemorrhaging money.  Not exactly what you'd call a good business strategy, which is why the fee was eventually introduced for credit card use.

And to jcoin200 - technically, if you're thinking of the recent price downturn for bitcoin, you should realize that the price of a bitcoin has actually been trending back upwards lately.  It went all the way down to $280 or so for a bitcoin and now is at $377.58 / bitcoin per bitstamp prices.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: