Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:32:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is There Any Chance?  (Read 2350 times)
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 02:28:53 PM

[Pic of the sun with explanation how difficult it is to crack a random private key]

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2014, 03:21:25 PM

I believe this to be very unlikely, I'm sure some could be found, but certainly not all.

FUR11

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
December 03, 2014, 04:24:55 PM

You are more likely to catch a fish that swallowed a USB drive with an unencrypted BTC wallet on, than come up with a valid method of cracking private keys.

This is an awesome analogy! Cheesy I really wonder whether there are flash drives that have been swallowed by a fish. Maybe even with a private key stored on them. I think the best chances are in dumping the contents of old hard-drives and trying to extract unencrypted Bitcoin private keys from them.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 04:53:41 AM

Lost somewhere in the galaxy 18...

thms

Activity: 427

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 05:00:54 AM

Is there any chance to find those lost BTCs' private keys? Lots of early BTC adopters lost their private key and  thousands of BTC is now useless...

It is possible but you would need a huge amount of luck..

It's better to just play the lottery because the chances of winning the lottery is higher and the prize is probably higher too.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 05:02:27 AM

Math makes it incredibly unlikely but anything is technically possible. You would make more btc hitting faucets a few times a day.

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 04, 2014, 11:58:37 AM

True, faucets, expected return per man hour spent, about 2000 satoshis or so, h4xx0ring teh gibson blockchain or private keys, expected return per hour invested 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 satoshi

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2014, 06:44:57 PM

-snip-
Sure.  Just like if you can guess where pirates buried treasure a few centureis ago, and dig there,
you would have access to the booty.   So, yeah... "good luck" with that one.

Chances to find a lost chest a pirate burried are higher than finding a private key that has coins.

please provide your analysis on that probability.

Just a wild guess, but given that the propabiltiy of finding a private key for a certain address (e.g. one that has coins) is roughly the same as finding a single bucky ball [1] within the earths crust I am pretty sure it stands a deeper analysis.

please provide your analysis on that probability.

This video does exactly that :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZloHVKk7DHk

Didnt watch it fully, but I like it.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:05:30 PM

The main issue I have with all these 'proof' of difficulty is that they assume it's perfectly random.
In fact, they ignore the type of encryption used and focus exclusively on the length. 256 bits then 2^256 possibilities. Way higher than the age of universe to hack - agreed.

But then why is a PGP 256 bit key (RSA to be pedantic) completely unsafe but the Bitcoin 256 bit key safe?

Reference
Cryptographic key length recommendations: http://www.keylength.com

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:41:23 PM

The main issue I have with all these 'proof' of difficulty is that they assume it's perfectly random.
In fact, they ignore the type of encryption used and focus exclusively on the length. 256 bits then 2^256 possibilities. Way higher than the age of universe to hack - agreed.

But then why is a PGP 256 bit key (RSA to be pedantic) completely unsafe but the Bitcoin 256 bit key safe?

Reference

You answered your own question partially.  

It's all about the type of encryption and how many bits
of security it really provides, not the key length.
And this in turn is based on the kinds of algorithms
that can find a solution most efficiently.

Elliptic curve cryptography is excellent because
it it only requires 2 characters for each bit of
security.  

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_curve_cryptography:

Since all the fastest known algorithms that allow one to solve the ECDLP (baby-step giant-step, Pollard's rho, etc.), need O(\sqrt{n}) steps, it follows that the size of the underlying field should be roughly twice the security parameter. For example, for 128-bit security one needs a curve over \mathbb{F}_q, where q \approx 2^{256}. This can be contrasted with finite-field cryptography (e.g., DSA) which requires[17] 3072-bit public keys and 256-bit private keys, and integer factorization cryptography (e.g., RSA) which requires a 3072-bit value of n, where the private key should be just as large. However the public key may be smaller to accommodate efficient encryption, especially when processing power is limited.

So you get 128 bits of security with Bitcoin.  This is further increased
to 160 bits for an unspent address because of RIPEMD-160 hash.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:43:20 PM

[Pic of the sun with explanation how difficult it is to crack a random private key]

Do you mean this :

LewiesMan

Activity: 384

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 04:45:12 PM

All the better for the economy.

Less supply

=

Scarcer resource

=

Price up
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 06:10:45 PM

Reference

You answered your own question partially.  

It's all about the type of encryption and how many bits
of security it really provides, not the key length.
And this in turn is based on the kinds of algorithms
that can find a solution most efficiently.

Elliptic curve cryptography is excellent because
it it only requires 2 characters for each bit of
security.  

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_curve_cryptography:

Since all the fastest known algorithms that allow one to solve the ECDLP (baby-step giant-step, Pollard's rho, etc.), need O(\sqrt{n}) steps, it follows that the size of the underlying field should be roughly twice the security parameter. For example, for 128-bit security one needs a curve over \mathbb{F}_q, where q \approx 2^{256}. This can be contrasted with finite-field cryptography (e.g., DSA) which requires[17] 3072-bit public keys and 256-bit private keys, and integer factorization cryptography (e.g., RSA) which requires a 3072-bit value of n, where the private key should be just as large. However the public key may be smaller to accommodate efficient encryption, especially when processing power is limited.

So you get 128 bits of security with Bitcoin.  This is further increased
to 160 bits for an unspent address because of RIPEMD-160 hash.

Hehe - I know, I have to admit I was trolling.  Grin

Now that you confirmed that. What about the following picture which has fancy words like 'thermodynamics', 'dyson sphere', and my personal favorite - "the laws of the universe" - mmm?

Though it's a nice photoshop and I'm sure it won't be the last time it shows up.

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 05, 2014, 07:44:45 PM

You are more likely to catch a fish that swallowed a USB drive with an unencrypted BTC wallet on, than come up with a valid method of cracking private keys.

This is an awesome analogy! Cheesy I really wonder whether there are flash drives that have been swallowed by a fish. Maybe even with a private key stored on them. I think the best chances are in dumping the contents of old hard-drives and trying to extract unencrypted Bitcoin private keys from them.

Then there's the other more profitable activity, standing in the back yard with your mouth open, waiting for a meteorite to land on your tongue.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
canary

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2014, 12:42:41 AM

I wish I had a way to gain those missing BTC back to the market, I mean back to my pocket.  Tongue
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: