Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:39:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ultimate blockchain compression w/ trust-free lite nodes  (Read 87867 times)
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 12:55:55 AM

Why would people mine this other chain?

If it has lower hashing power is everyone trusting it more susceptible to double spends somehow?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 01:07:17 AM

Conceivably you could run an even lighter client that just implicitly trusts the head of the alt-chain. Such a client would rely upon honest miners doing the work of verifying the alt-chain, and not actually perform such checks itself.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 04:12:10 AM

Why would people mine this other chain?
Why do miners currently mine transactions that don't have a fee? The answer to both of these questions are that doing such things aren't terribly costly, but more importantly, it encourages further adoption of Bitcoin which will directly result in increased revenue for miners in the future.

Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:52:14 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2012, 09:42:38 AM by Serith

I think that if you want to have the root value to be the same regardless of order in which a tree or any hierarchical structure was created, then you would need a hash function that has commutative and associative properties.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 09:50:08 AM

Why do miners currently mine transactions that don't have a fee? The answer to both of these questions are that doing such things aren't terribly costly, but more importantly, it encourages further adoption of Bitcoin which will directly result in increased revenue for miners in the future.
This is changing faster than we've anticipated though. Due to the sheer volume of transactions that SatoshiDice produces, higher fees will start to get priority. The bad thing is that current Bitcoin clients don't have a very sophisticated fee system or fee options.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 10:35:38 AM

Tracking
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 10:38:18 AM

I have a proposal as an "add-on" to this

When a miner sees a tx, he could either 1. grab the tx fee, or 2. "donate" the tx fee to the alt-chain.

Grabbing the tx free is essentially the current practice

If it is "donated", it will go to a jackpot pool for the alt-chain. A miner who find a valid block in the alt-chain will claim the jackpot.

By donating the tx fee, miner will get a "discount" in their mining difficulty. The discount will be calculated in a pay-per-share manner. For example, the current difficulty is 1583 177.847444 with block reward of 50BTC. A fair PPS would be 0.00003158. Therefore, a tx fee of 0.0005 is equivalent to 15.831778 shares. By donating the tx fee, the miner will only need to find a block with difficulty of 1583177.847444-15.831778 = 1583162.015666.

Miner will want to donate tx fee since this helps them to find a block easier and reduce  variation. It also provide a feedback mechanism for mining. In a bad luck turn where many tx accumulate, difficulty is reduced and the bad luck turn could be ended earlier.
The effective difficulty is no longer a constant throughout 2016 blocks. Instead, it will be a zig-zag function: highest at the beginning of a round, keep decreasing as unconfirmed tx accumulate, and jump back to the highest value when a block is found. The average block generation rate is still 10-minutes but the variation is reduced too.

Some miners may abuse this system by creating tx with high tx fee (e.g. 25BTC) and donating it to the alt-chain, so their difficulty is reduced by 50%. To prevent this, we may put a cap on the difficulty discount (e.g. 10% of difficulty) and/or calculate the discount with <100% PPS (So the expected return will be decreased).

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 10:41:10 AM

isn't it possible to merge mine the balance chain just like many pools do with namecoin?
that way there is not need to give any reward to miners. just include it in bitcoind as a "protocol requirement" for mining.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 02:12:07 PM

isn't it possible to merge mine the balance chain just like many pools do with namecoin?
that way there is not need to give any reward to miners. just include it in bitcoind as a "protocol requirement" for mining.

Yup.  The second chain doesn't need incentive due merged mining, unless it's particularly resource-consuming.  If the software is already written, and integrates into bitcoind or other mining software transparently, and doesn't impact mining performance, then miners would [likely] have no complaints about adopting it given the huge upside it offers.  It's basically free, from their perspective.

Though I don't agree it would be a "protocol requirement."  Miners have various reasons for doing what they do.  And this is being promoted as non-disruptive and optional.  But you don't need more than, probably 20% of mining power to engage this idea for it to be successful.  I'm not even sure what a 51% attack would look like on the alt-chain, but it wouldn't be very exciting -- the worst you could do is prevent some lite-nodes being able to verify their own balance -- but there would be no financial gain for it, and it would cost a fortune.  20% seems like a number high enough that there would always be a "checkpoint" nearby, and high enough that it would be vastly too expensive for a prankster to do anything to that chain.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 02:29:00 PM

If the altchain has some place to put a scriptPubKey or an array of them in every block, the chain could be funded with network assurance contracts as proposed by Mike Hearn for the main chain when the subsidy gets lower than fees.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 02:51:55 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

If the idea works and becomes essential to the way most people use Bitcoin, all developers could easily strategize and decide that a future version of clients will only relay/accept blocks when their coinbase contains a valid merged mining record for the other chain's most recent valid block.  It might then be properly called a "meta chain" rather than an "alt chain".

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 05:19:18 PM

It might then be properly called a "meta chain" rather than an "alt chain".
That's much better terminology. Thank you.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 05:35:18 PM

Yup.  The second chain doesn't need incentive due merged mining, unless it's particularly resource-consuming.  If the software is already written, and integrates into bitcoind or other mining software transparently, and doesn't impact mining performance, then miners would [likely] have no complaints about adopting it given the huge upside it offers.  It's basically free, from their perspective.

Though I don't agree it would be a "protocol requirement."  Miners have various reasons for doing what they do.  And this is being promoted as non-disruptive and optional.  But you don't need more than, probably 20% of mining power to engage this idea for it to be successful.  I'm not even sure what a 51% attack would look like on the alt-chain, but it wouldn't be very exciting -- the worst you could do is prevent some lite-nodes being able to verify their own balance -- but there would be no financial gain for it, and it would cost a fortune.  20% seems like a number high enough that there would always be a "checkpoint" nearby, and high enough that it would be vastly too expensive for a prankster to do anything to that chain.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12908

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:16:39 PM

Trustless lightweight-node support:  New nodes entering the network for the first time, will only have to download a tiny amount of data to get full, verifiable knowledge of their balance and how to spend it (much of which can be stored between loads).  A single honest peer out of thousands guarantees you get, and recognize, good data.

It doesn't seem trustless to me. Lightweight nodes (not storing all unspent outputs) can't know whether a block is valid, so they need to trust the majority of the network's mining power. This is no more secure than SPV, though possibly a little easier for lightweight nodes.

There is an advantage to "mostly-full" nodes who store all unspent transactions: they don't have to download all past blocks to start validating. But a regular Merkle tree of unspent outputs works just as well.

Using an alt chain instead of putting the Merkle root in a main-chain transaction seems unnecessarily complex.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 06:43:45 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Trustless lightweight-node support:  New nodes entering the network for the first time, will only have to download a tiny amount of data to get full, verifiable knowledge of their balance and how to spend it (much of which can be stored between loads).  A single honest peer out of thousands guarantees you get, and recognize, good data.

It doesn't seem trustless to me. Lightweight nodes (not storing all unspent outputs) can't know whether a block is valid, so they need to trust the majority of the network's mining power. This is no more secure than SPV, though possibly a little easier for lightweight nodes.

This doesn't make sense at all.  The entirety of all Bitcoin trust relies on trusting "the majority of the network's mining power."  That is the security model of Bitcoin itself, and has the benefit that you only need one honest node out of one million to be able to distinguish truth amongst a sea of malicious peers.

The issue with SPV is that you have to trust either random peers to give you the correct/complete info, or connect to your own trusted system/subscription to get reliable information.  Without a subscription service, you have to query lots of peers and possibly use filtering/profiling games with peers to identify untrusted nodes, etc.   With this idea, you minimize the amount of information needed to be downloaded, and can compare directly against the headers -- you can get all the information you need from a single peer and know it's right (assuming you've already got the headers).

And that is actually just a side-benefit of it -- the original goal was blockchain compression, which this does near-optimally.

I agree that complexity is high.  But I disagree with the notion that you're not getting something for it.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 07:01:04 PM

This doesn't make sense at all.  The entirety of all Bitcoin trust relies on trusting "the majority of the network's mining power."  That is the security model of Bitcoin itself, and has the benefit that you only need one honest node out of one million to be able to distinguish truth amongst a sea of malicious peers.

If I have a copy of all unspent outputs, the majority of mining power can only change the ordering of transactions (and this ability might be more limited in the future). But a lightweight node will accept double-spends within the block chain, too-high block subsidies, invalid scripts, etc. if the attacker has enough mining power.

Quote from: etotheipi
The issue with SPV is that you have to trust either random peers to give you the correct/complete info, or connect to your own trusted system/subscription to get reliable information.

You don't have to trust random peers with SPV. SPV clients have the block headers and can use the Merkle roots to accurately get the number of confirmations for any transaction.

socrates1024

Activity: 126
Merit: 108

Andrew Miller

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 07:08:23 PM

If I have a copy of all unspent outputs, the majority of mining power can only change the ordering of transactions (and this ability might be more limited in the future). But a lightweight node will accept double-spends within the block chain, too-high block subsidies, invalid scripts, etc. if the attacker has enough mining power.

Notice that if the lightweight Client runs the Merkle tree scheme I described, it can rejected double-spends, invalid scripts, etc. Even without needing to store a copy of the unspent outputs.

Instead, the Client receives each block header, as well as O(M log N) of verification data (paths through the Merkle tree). This way, the Client can check each transaction against the database, as indicated by the current root hash. Only a full node acting as an untrusted helper needs to store the entire unspent outputs database, in order to generate the verification data.

amiller on freenode / 19G6VFcV1qZJxe3Swn28xz3F8gDKTznwEM
[my twitter] [research@umd]
I study Merkle trees, credit networks, and Byzantine Consensus algorithms.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 07:13:33 PM

Quote from: etotheipi
The issue with SPV is that you have to trust either random peers to give you the correct/complete info, or connect to your own trusted system/subscription to get reliable information.

You don't have to trust random peers with SPV. SPV clients have the block headers and can use the Merkle roots to accurately get the number of confirmations for any transaction.

Yes, but how do you know a particular TxOut hasn't been spent since it appeared in the blockchain?  I can verify, by downloading full transactions, that a particular TxOut was valid at one point in time, but I have no way to determine if it's been spent since that time.  Whether I'm verifying my own balance, or trying to confirm the validity of the inputs of another transaction, any malicious node can give me seemingly correct information, but still make my node incapable of operating -- perhaps because when I got online the first time an imported my wallet, I was given only old TxOuts that have since been spent, and my node will be stuck creating invalid transactions trying to spend them.

This is the basis of the overlay network that Electrum/Stratum uses.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that overlay network, other than it relies on trusted nodes being setup and available, or subscribing to a service, all of which is a degree of centralization (and extra user effort).  This chain avoids all of it, providing (at the expense of complexity), more reliable information without trusting anyone.  

If that was the only benefit, I'd agree it wouldn't be worth the hassle.  But as I said, that's a secondary benefit of this structure.  The main reason to do it is compression.

Which could be implemented with a simpler tree structure using an alt/meta-chain.  Or this tree-structure using a different distribution technique (protocol change, overlay network, trusting random peers, etc).

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 07:32:02 PM

This is the basis of the overlay network that Electrum/Stratum uses.

Electrum and Stratum don't use SPV. Those clients don't keep block headers (AFAIK). BitcoinJ uses SPV.

Yes, but how do you know a particular TxOut hasn't been spent since it appeared in the blockchain?

I wait until it has 6 confirmations. SPV allows me to determine the number of confirmations accurately (assuming the majority of mining power is honest).

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 09:25:36 PM

This is the basis of the overlay network that Electrum/Stratum uses.

Electrum and Stratum don't use SPV. Those clients don't keep block headers (AFAIK). BitcoinJ uses SPV.

Yes, but how do you know a particular TxOut hasn't been spent since it appeared in the blockchain?

I wait until it has 6 confirmations. SPV allows me to determine the number of confirmations accurately (assuming the majority of mining power is honest).

I'm not concerned about enough confirmations.  I'm actually concerned that it has 10,000 confirmations, and that it was actually spent 3,000 blocks ago, and that I have to search through 10,000 full blocks in order to know whether it's still a valid output.  Or, I can ask other nodes for help, but I how do I know to trust them? 

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: