Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:16:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting BAMT Rig to static IP address  (Read 8981 times)
elrodvoss (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2012, 10:58:35 PM

Afternoon everyone,

After last night we had a few huge thunderstorms roll through and we lost power for a few minutes.  No damage was done, but I have noticed a little issue with my rig.  It is set up that I can view my status page via port forwarding on my router, but it seems that the rig likes to change its IP address when ever I have to shut it down or it loses power.

Its not a huge problem, but with getting more rigs, it will be a pain to change the routers settings for 6+ rigs each time I have a power outage or have to fix one of them.

Is there a way to set each rig to its same IP address that it assigns its self too each time? 

Thanks in advance for the help as always.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 10:38:01 PM

Afternoon everyone,

After last night we had a few huge thunderstorms roll through and we lost power for a few minutes.  No damage was done, but I have noticed a little issue with my rig.  It is set up that I can view my status page via port forwarding on my router, but it seems that the rig likes to change its IP address when ever I have to shut it down or it loses power.

Its not a huge problem, but with getting more rigs, it will be a pain to change the routers settings for 6+ rigs each time I have a power outage or have to fix one of them.

Is there a way to set each rig to its same IP address that it assigns its self too each time? 

Thanks in advance for the help as always.

There is a way to set that in the BAMT rig itself, I don't recall what it is right now.  You can find out on the BAMT thread I'm sure.

Or, you could just assign it a non-expiring static IP in your router/switch, which is what I do.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:47:21 AM

I would do it thru the router, and set the static IP for each MAC address of the hardware.
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 12:28:58 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 02:59:58 PM by norulezapply

If you for some reason do not want to use the router configuration route, see this link:

http://www.techiecorner.com/486/how-to-setup-static-ip-in-debian/

Note that this is for people who do not have access to a monitor and thus cannot view X windows.
Rino

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 01:01:33 PM

Its extremely easy: connect display to rig, right click on network icon in taskbar, set your connection to static ip.
tommarr

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 06:12:13 PM

Its extremely easy: connect display to rig, right click on network icon in taskbar, set your connection to static ip.

Easy? Finding the keyboard and monitor is easy? Ohh and the mouse too!? C'mooon... and most likely those settings are also reseted upon reboot just like modifications in interfaces

Easier way.. Write script to modify /etc/network/interfaces upon boot and reboot network after making changes. No freaking monitors or mouses needed - only ssh access

/etc/network/interfaces
Code:
iface eth0 inet static
address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Easiest way... Set static IP from router according to MAC address
jhd

Activity: 63

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 07:15:23 PM

i set ip static but every reboot i need to redo it :/
someone can help

Litecoin Lottery, Litecoin Roulette : http://www.coinpixel.com
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:34:49 AM

I think you need to remove the network manager or it will overwrite your settings.

Code:
apt-get remove network-manager

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
jhd

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 08:41:31 AM

i already do it but nothing happened :/

Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 02:25:05 PM

Easy? Finding the keyboard and monitor is easy? Ohh and the mouse too!? C'mooon... and most likely those settings are also reseted upon reboot just like modifications in interfaces

Easier way.. Write script to modify /etc/network/interfaces upon boot and reboot network after making changes. No freaking monitors or mouses needed - only ssh access

/etc/network/interfaces
Code:
iface eth0 inet static
address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Easiest way... Set static IP from router according to MAC address

Okay, his suggestion is easy so not bashing him there.  Not everyone is a Linux pro and knows all the ins and outs of SSH access.  If it solves the mans (or womans) problem then by all means use all tools you have available to you.

I have 2 BAMT rigs, both I manage 95% of the time via SSH, but I do have both configured with static IP's, and I did both via the GUI interface. 

Also, I'm not sure because I am no Linux/SSH pro, but dont you need to set the DNS as well?  I get hit with storms and outages all the time, I never have to reset my network settings after being done the first time.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
jhd

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 04:10:39 PM

Ok thanx for the help

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: