Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:45:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is BFL simply Trolling Enterpoint (and other FPGA Devs) with their EARLY Announcement ?
Yes, they (BFL) are TROLLS - 78 (63.9%)
No, we will see BFL ASICs soon (before 2013)....honest - 44 (36.1%)
Total Voters: 120

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASIC Announcement - Truth or Troll ? - The LONG CON just got longer  (Read 5787 times)
dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:35:24 AM

So why the hell would anyone want a mini rig if the ASIC is imminent ? Oh yeah, you think they will give you a dollar for dollar trade in. Then what are they going to go with all those useless mini rigs ? give them away to charity ?

This just gets more ridiculous by the moment.
I too wonder what will be done with the old hardware. Since it is FPGA, it seems plausible that they could reconstitute it for other purposes, but not sure what. With only a USB port, it seems that they wouldn't be good for very much.

if enough people trade in their junk along with a payment they will have a pretty large farm they can mine with themselves.  they get their hardware back plus a extra cash and they can mine.. nothing but benjamins!

poop!
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 04:49:35 AM

So why the hell would anyone want a mini rig if the ASIC is imminent ? Oh yeah, you think they will give you a dollar for dollar trade in. Then what are they going to go with all those useless mini rigs ? give them away to charity ?

This just gets more ridiculous by the moment.
I too wonder what will be done with the old hardware. Since it is FPGA, it seems plausible that they could reconstitute it for other purposes, but not sure what. With only a USB port, it seems that they wouldn't be good for very much.

if enough people trade in their junk along with a payment they will have a pretty large farm they can mine with themselves.  they get their hardware back plus a extra cash and they can mine.. nothing but benjamins!

my coffee warmers hash more then their mini rigs

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:53:04 AM

my coffee warmers hash more then their mini rigs

They should make some mining toasters also lol
And ovens! Mining ovens!
Oh man... I see a brilliant future for BFL, building mining kitchen appliances Cheesy
Serenata

Activity: 250

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 06:14:49 AM

I can understand BFL for not posting delivery times for devices that are still under development/construction. But the fact they don't post every single detail about the trade program, makes me think there is a (possibly) shady reason for that.

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key
nave
Donator

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 07:03:31 AM

Disclaimer: I don't like the way BFL does business (the trolling of the Enterpoint thread, pre-purchasing, etc), and I won't be purchasing any of their products even if they're the only bitcoin ASIC producer out there. I also don't know much about the FPGA market outside of Bitcoin, but as others have done in this thread, I'm going to speculate (guess) a little.

Since it is widely accepted that BFL products use previous-generation high-end FPGA chips that were bought on the cheap somehow, is it possible with this trade in program they would be stripping these chips from the devices and reselling them again? If they received such a good deal on them I would think it would be possible for them to resell the chips at much less of a loss than might be imagined. Sure they're not current gen products, but the demand might still be there with the volume and discount that BFL could provide.

This could be a reason the trade-in program could be 1:1 dollar value and they would accept multiple old products toward one new product. I see the logic in Bitlane's speculation too, I just always like to think of possible alternatives.
KyleH

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 09:27:07 AM

Some of you idiots should do us all a favor and kill yourselves.
wildemagic

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:14:53 AM

This could be a reason the trade-in program could be 1:1 dollar value and they would accept multiple old products toward one new product.

Im going to speculate it is because (1) the price of the ASIC boards/systems are going to be high and (B) Its a great way to get ppl not to buy competitors products.

Yea I know I said (1) and (B) - thats how I roll <grins>

kind regards

.,-._|\     Offgrid 1.7kW Solar and 3G wireless internet powering my mining rig.
/ .Oz. \
\_,--.x/     [219.5btc of successful trades total] with : rastapool, miernik, flatronw & OneFixt
       o
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 12:42:14 PM

Some of you idiots should do us all a favor and kill yourselves.

most of us are ghosts, we died a long time ago waiting on BFL deliveries Tongue

seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 01:44:49 PM

Where is Inaba? we need him so badly.

This will be the best CON in bitcoin's history.

Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 01:51:51 PM

I'm no friend of BFL, but can someone justify the decision to create "The thread in which BFL trolls Enterpoint," locked and sticky? This seems entirely uncalled for, and more than a little childish. I'm quite frankly shocked that the moderators on this board did or allowed this. Sure, BFL made a stupid comment on the Enterpoint thread, but they apologized immediately. Did they "troll" the thread? I don't think trolls apologize for their comments - but who knows? - this word "troll" has become so hackneyed I have very little grip on what it means anymore. I thought the job of moderators was to *moderate* - not join an attack on a company that is based mostly on speculation about what they might do or what their motives might be. IMO, the sticky should at the very least be removed from that thread. Let it sink slowly into oblivion - that is more than enough of a slap on the wrist for what BFL did.    
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 01:55:51 PM

I'm no friend of BFL, but can someone justify the decision to create "The thread in which BFL trolls Enterpoint," locked and sticky? This seems entirely uncalled for, and more than a little childish. I'm quite frankly shocked that the moderators on this board did or allowed this. Sure, BFL made a stupid comment on the Enterpoint thread, but they apologized immediately. Did they "troll" the thread? I don't think trolls apologize for their comments - but who knows? - this word "troll" has become so hackneyed I have very little grip on what it means anymore. I thought the job of moderators was to *moderate* - not join an attack on a company that is based mostly on speculation about what they might do or what their motives might be. IMO, the sticky should at the very least be removed from that thread. Let it sink slowly into oblivion - that is more than enough of a slap on the wrist for what BFL did.    

I find it shocking that they bother to reply and write in the Enterpoint's thread, yet don't bother to read and reply in the own threads, in which people that have sent them money ask genuine questions. They got what they deserved.
MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:23:35 PM

I would like to point out that BFL did NOT apologize immediately. They apologized after moderator DiabloD3 posted on that thread.. Do you research man. BFL's punishment is well deserved.
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:53:08 PM

I would like to point out that BFL did NOT apologize immediately. They apologized after moderator DiabloD3 posted on that thread.. Do you research man. BFL's punishment is well deserved.

I disagree, it isn't deserved. I did do my research - you just have a different notion of what counts as "immediately." Sure, they apologized after a number of members, including DiabloD3, called them out for the stupid remark. Still, it didn't take them long to apologize, and the mature thing to do is to accept their apology without childish retaliation. Look, there are lots of reasons to be unhappy with BFL business practices, and they are being picked apart over this to the nth degree in various threads on this forum, but this doesn't justify creating a sticky thread over one unfortunate comment they made. If any other member on this forum had made this comment, it certainly wouldn't have lead to this sticky. So BFL is obviously being overly punished for this simply because one or more of the mods doesn't like them and is blowing the whole event out of proportion. If you want to attack BFL, stick with the real reasons for this - i.e. their business practices - and not one stupid comment they made and apologized for. My point is, they shouldn't be overly punished for the stupid comment just because there are *other* reasons to be unhappy with them. Attack them for the other reasons and let the stupid comment go.   
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:55:31 PM

I disagree, it isn't deserved. I did do my research - you just have a different notion of what counts as "immediately." Sure, they apologized after a number of members, including DiabloD3, called them out for the stupid remark. Still, it didn't take them long to apologize, and the mature thing to do is to accept their apology without childish retaliation. Look, there are lots of reasons to be unhappy with BFL business practices, and they are being picked apart over this to the nth degree in various threads on this forum, but this doesn't justify creating a sticky thread over one unfortunate comment they made. If any other member on this forum had made this comment, it certainly wouldn't have lead to this sticky. So BFL is obviously being overly punished for this simply because one or more of the mods doesn't like them and is blowing the whole event out of proportion. If you want to attack BFL, stick with the real reasons for this - i.e. their business practices - and not one stupid comment they made and apologized for. My point is, they shouldn't be overly punished for the stupid comment just because there are *other* reasons to be unhappy with them. Attack them for the other reasons and let the stupid comment go.   
Unfortunately, this isn't the first time that this has happened and they have been called out on it. Maybe it's been stickied for long enough, but keep it locked.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
MXRider

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:34:27 PM

BFL is not a regular member. It's a company and that user BFL is representing Butterflylabs inc. That's why it got stickied. Do you think it is appropriate to talk shit in other manufacturer's thread? No, it is not. I say this again: They apologized after DiabloD3 hinted them to stfu. You have different rules when you are representing a company.

Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:16:26 PM

BFL is not a regular member. It's a company and that user BFL is representing Butterflylabs inc. That's why it got stickied. Do you think it is appropriate to talk shit in other manufacturer's thread? No, it is not. I say this again: They apologized after DiabloD3 hinted them to stfu. You have different rules when you are representing a company.

Yeah, I agree with you that a company should be held to a higher standard. But it's still a single individual making the post, and individuals can make mistakes. Whoever posts for them made a poor decision, realized this after it was pointed out to him, and apologized. That should be enough. The remark was of course not appropriate, but it is a daily occurrence on this board that someone does something inappropriate (and much more inappropriate in many cases), but this doesn't doesn't result in a sticky punishment. I still think it's way overdone to create a sticky about it. IMO, the sticky seems to be more motivated by hatred for BFL than out of a sense for just punishment for their infraction, which compared to what else goes on in this forum, was fairly minor, even for a company. The sticky seems inappropriate to me, but at this point I'm not sure what else to say about it - I'll just let others chime in with their opinion, and the mods can do as they see fit.   
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:18:29 PM

I agree with the punishment. Its not the first time BFL handles the forums unprofessionally.

Yeah, I agree with you that a company should be held to a higher standard. But it's still a single individual making the post, and individuals can make mistakes. Whoever posts for them made a poor decision, realized this after it was pointed out to him, and apologized. That should be enough. The remark was of course not appropriate, but it is a daily occurrence on this board that someone does something inappropriate (and much more inappropriate in many cases), but this doesn't doesn't result in a sticky punishment. I still think it's way overdone to create a sticky about it. IMO, the sticky seems to be more motivated by hatred for BFL than out of a sense for just punishment for their infraction, which compared to what else goes on in this forum, was fairly minor, even for a company. The sticky seems inappropriate to me, but at this point I'm not sure what else to say about it - I'll just let others chime in with their opinion, and the mods can do as they see fit.   
MXRider

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:23:22 PM

I admit that you have a point and you are right. I'm sure it wont stay there long. For a few days to make the point.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:24:22 PM

I agree with you.  Diablo D3 has it out for BFL, that's why he stickied it.  It's unfair and very biased treatment.

None of BFL's competitors who come in the BFL threads and rag on them are ever even forced to make an apology, much less them receiving "punishments" for it.
nave
Donator

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:31:13 PM

I agree with you.  Diablo D3 has it out for BFL, that's why he stickied it.  It's unfair and very biased treatment.

None of BFL's competitors who come in the BFL threads and rag on them are ever even forced to make an apology, much less them receiving "punishments" for it.

BFL wasn't forced to make an apology. They chose to do it on their own after a number of users and a mod pounced on them for spreading (more) FUD in another legitimate company's thread. The only "punishment" here is people having the opportunity to see exactly what BFL chose to write about another company's product.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: