Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Woah  (Read 4157 times)
IlbiStarz (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:15:46 PM

The hash rate doubled to like 4thash/s right after the diffuculty change...deepbit is only 1/4 now o.o
What the...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 10:22:50 PM

Funny how every time there's a diff jump the hashrate calculation approximation has to be re-explained Cheesy

clonedone

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:23:45 PM

Funny how every time there's a diff jump the hashrate calculation approximation has to be re-explained Cheesy

lolol
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:25:09 PM

Go ahead, I know you're burning to explain it!

mario

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:27:27 PM

Please explain
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 10:29:09 PM

Why do we laugh at new people for asking legitimate questions?  Were they supposed to have read the forums a thousand feet deep and figured this out on their own?

They should be laughing at us for having a 50 million dollar "economy" around a website that still doesn't have SSL after all this time, and a program whose user interface is so dinky and devoid of help that it wouldn't even make the Apple App Store as a free app just for its complete lack of intuitiveness alone.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:29:59 PM

The hash rate doubled to like 4thash/s right after the diffuculty change...deepbit is only 1/4 now o.o
What the...

i think this is a miscalculation of the hashing rate right after the difficulty has changed.
it seems to happen each time the difficulty adjusts (at least from what I've seen).

i'm not an expert. someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think when the difficulty changes the hashrate is re-calculated. it is expected that a new block will be discovered ~every 10 mins. At the start of the difficulty level if some blocks are found faster than that then the calculated hashrate is higher than it is in reality. When more blocks are mined at this difficulty level the time to mine them will average out to a more representative period for the real hash rate.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 10:31:59 PM

What the...

I will explain this,

When the difficulty changes, the calculation will be grossly inaccurate because it is a calculation based on averages and very few numbers are being averaged.

How you can know if the difficulty "just changed" is if there are more than about 1900 blocks left before next change.  (Each change, this number resets to 2016 and counts down).  When it is still close to 2016, the algorithm has little data to work with, and the numbers can be way off.

Ideally, the site should be more intuitive and just blank or ****** out this number until it can be believed accurate.  Perhaps ****** with a mouseover that gives the hash rate just before the block change, and explain that it might be a bit stale.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:34:50 PM

Why do we laugh at new people for asking legitimate questions?  Were they supposed to have read the forums a thousand feet deep and figured this out on their own?

They should be laughing at us for having a 50 million dollar "economy" around a website that still doesn't have SSL after all this time, and a program whose user interface is so dinky and devoid of help that it wouldn't even make the Apple App Store as a free app just for its complete lack of intuitiveness alone.

It's funny because that question is answered every time the difficulty changes. Maybe these people could use the search function once in a while, you know...

i'm not an expert. someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think when the difficulty changes the hashrate is re-calculated. it is expected that a new block will be discovered ~every 10 mins. At the start of the difficulty level if some blocks are found faster than that then the calculated hashrate is higher than it is in reality. When more blocks are mined at this difficulty level the time to mine them will average out to a more representative period for the real hash rate.

More or less. The network hashrate is established by comparing block resolution speed with difficulty. It's simply an estimate. The block resolution speed is an average taken on whatever period of time. The thing is, when the difficulty jumps up, the average used is still the one established on data from the previous difficulty. Until that sample time spans entirely into blocks found at new difficulty, the estimate will be corrupt.

mario

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:35:36 PM

Thank you
Nythain

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:38:28 PM

It's funny because that question is answered every time the difficulty changes. Maybe these people could use the search function once in a while, you know...
So every new user is supposed to search for something they dont know happens or exists using their mighty psychic powers of past and future knowledge?
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 10:40:27 PM

Heh, didn't mean to make fun of the OP, I just opened this thread, read the post and was like "holy shit, that's a lot of mining power ki-- oh wait a minute, dammit"

mario

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:43:27 PM

The next difficulty jump is estimated to be 639946. Is this normal? To my new eyes it seems very big.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 10:46:12 PM

The next difficulty jump is estimated to be 639946. Is this normal? To my new eyes it seems very big.
This again is an estimate that is based on data samples (avg. interval between blocks), you might want to wait a little bit for a larger sample to get more accurate projections.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:47:29 PM

That estimate too is based on estimate network hashrate estimate. First corruption implies second corruption of estimate.

So every new user is supposed to search for something they dont know happens or exists using their mighty psychic powers of past and future knowledge?

When I see something odd, I search the forums first. Then if I can't find, I'll post. Just sayin

BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:48:52 PM

The next difficulty is estimated based on the current hash rate. Since the hash rate is off, so is the next difficulty.
mario

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:50:37 PM

Thank you all.
twobitcoins

Activity: 144

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 10:50:47 PM

I can't for the life of me figure out why the tools are written this way.  It is quite easy to avoid the problem.

The core task is to estimate the hash rate by looking at recent blocks (either the last n blocks or all blocks in a fixed window of time).  The number of hashes that it took to calculate each block can be estimated based on the difficulty in effect for that block.  Add those hash counts and divide by the total time, and you get an estimated hash rate.  It works regardless of changes in the difficulty.  Then use the hash rate to calculate other things like when the difficulty will change and what the new difficulty will be.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 10:56:48 PM

Have you tried it?

Challenge:

Give me a search phrase that can answer this question without browsing beyond the 3rd page of results.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2011, 11:11:20 PM

Give me a search phrase that can answer this question without browsing beyond the 3rd page of results.
"woah". Any further questions ?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: