Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:12:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost blockchain.info android client coin?  (Read 837 times)
sethsethseth (OP)

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 02:40:56 PM

I was showing a new user how to use bitcoin on his phone and here is what happened:
He went to blockchain.info and made a wallet with a password
I sent 1btc to this address
One of the website buttons was being unresponsive on his S3, so he downloaded the blockchain.info android app instead
he opened the app and it asked to "pair device" or "new account"
he pressed "back" to get rid of that dialog box
he went to receive coins and copied the btc address
he opened the browser blockchain wallet again, hit send coins, pasted the address, deleted the first part of it where it says "bitcoin: " and sent .999 btc with a .001 fee to it
the coins never showed up in the android wallet, so he opened the client up again and looked at the receive address, and it had changed to something else.  They both started with "1F" though
Where the hell did the original address come from and where are the coins?

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 02:52:07 PM

I don't know what went on here, either:

a) Two wallets were created. In which case the easiest way to solve it will be to just find the wallets and login through the web interface. Do you know the ip address that was used to create them?
b) Perhaps there was a syncing issue caused by using both apps simultaneously, causing one to overwrite each-others wallet. Login through the web interface click [Import / Export] the [Import backup] and click the import link next to each backup.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: