Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:48:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Really?  (Read 1927 times)
P_Shep (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 05:49:22 AM

BFL is trolling by making one post.

So what's extracting the post, creating a thread about it, sticking it and closing it?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88363.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 06:26:21 AM

Well, I'm not going to override his decision as a local mod, but my guess is that he just hit the wrong button, since lock and sticky are right next to each other. That being said, it should be up to either him or theymos to unsticky it.

Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:29:50 PM

BFL is trolling by making one post.

So what's extracting the post, creating a thread about it, sticking it and closing it?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88363.0

+1

I totally agree - this is uncalled for, and should be removed. Since when do moderators punish members for incidents of the so-called "trolling" by creating a sticky to record the event? We need thousands of sticky threads if that is the new practice. Apparently the moderators are using (abusing?) their power to take sides in the BFL fiasco-debate, which, I would think, isn't what moderators are supposed to do. If one or more of the moderators simply doesn't like BFL, then they can voice their displeasure along with everyone else by posting it.   
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 02:30:55 PM

Well, I'm not going to override his decision as a local mod, but my guess is that he just hit the wrong button, since lock and sticky are right next to each other. That being said, it should be up to either him or theymos to unsticky it.
No he posted specifically in the Enterpoint thread that it would be locked and stickied because that was how they would do their penance. I like it.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 02:35:55 PM

I thought this was the Rally!!! thread.   Undecided

Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:16:23 PM

No he posted specifically in the Enterpoint thread that it would be locked and stickied because that was how they would do their penance. I like it.

Yeah, but my guess is that you like it because you already disliked BFL for other reasons - the punishment does not fit the crime (i.e. one stupid remark that they apologized for). What if you had made one regrettable remark on some thread, apologized for it, and then found that the moderators had created a sticky about the incident? Would that be just punishment? If so, then the mods better get started creating lots of stickies to exact just punishment on this board. And sure, it does make a difference that they are a company and not a normal forum member, but that still doesn't justify the sticky IMO.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:20:22 PM

Yeah, but my guess is that you like it because you already disliked BFL for other reasons - the punishment does not fit the crime (i.e. one stupid remark that they apologized for). What if you had made one regrettable remark on some thread, apologized for it, and then found that the moderators had created a sticky about the incident? Would that be just punishment? If so, then the mods better get started creating lots of stickies to exact just punishment on this board. And sure, it does make a difference that they are a company and not a normal forum member, but that still doesn't justify the sticky IMO.
lol, I just can't win. Some call me a BFL shill, and you are saying that I hate them. If I was a large company selling to many users making such fuckups as they have, I would also deserve a mean sticky.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 03:54:18 PM

lol, I just can't win. Some call me a BFL shill, and you are saying that I hate them. If I was a large company selling to many users making such fuckups as they have, I would also deserve a mean sticky.

Well, I don't think you hate them exactly, but I do wonder if your dislike for them is what is making this seem like a justified punishment to you. It's much easier to find a mean act against someone you dislike justified. Whatever fuckups a company makes in their business practices should be kept separate from whatever infractions they make when posting on a forum - punishment for the latter shouldn't be overblown b/c of the former, and as far as I can tell, that is what is going on. It seems to me that the moderators are not playing the role of impartial judge in this case, but rather are influenced by their own colored personal opinions of BFL, and I for one would prefer they didn't do that.   
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:05:48 PM

Well, I don't think you hate them exactly, but I do wonder if your dislike for them is what is making this seem like a justified punishment to you. It's much easier to find a mean act against someone you dislike justified. Whatever fuckups a company makes in their business practices should be kept separate from whatever infractions they make when posting on a forum - punishment for the latter shouldn't be overblown b/c of the former, and as far as I can tell, that is what is going on. It seems to me that the moderators are not playing the role of impartial judge in this case, but rather are influenced by their own colored personal opinions of BFL, and I for one would prefer they didn't do that.   
I for one am glad that there is any sort of visible moderation at all.

P_Shep (OP)
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 04:32:01 PM

It comes down to this:
Mods should be as impartial as can be reasonably expected.
This is the opposite of that.
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 05:17:10 PM

It comes down to this:
Mods should be as impartial as can be reasonably expected.
This is the opposite of that.

Exactly - well and succinctly put.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 05:15:03 AM

Huh. That's... unconventional. I personally don't like it, since it really devalues the power of stickies. That being said, I don't want to encroach on Diablo's territory, so we'll have to wait for theymos' decision.

Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 06:11:56 AM

I hope at the very least Diablo plans to remove it after a while. Shouldn't have been done in the first place IMO, but it really shouldn't remain indefinitely.
Dargo
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 04:52:37 PM

Well, Diablo also reprimanded Enterpoint for talking a little smack in their own thread. It was hardly anything, but he called them out for it. So Diablo is trying to hold both BFL and Enterpoint to a high standard of professionalism in terms of their conduct on this board (or at least in terms of what they say about each other), and I have to give him credit for that. Still think that sticky thread is a bit much, but it's harder at this point to argue that a double standard is being applied, at least between BFL and Enterpoint.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
June 23, 2012, 05:07:22 PM

Yes I believe it's about time the sticky was un-stuck; let it sink to the bottom.

P_Shep (OP)
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 04:17:01 PM

I don't believe Diablo to be a fit Mod.

See exhibit B:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91710.0

Stickies another trolling (self interest) thread, as corroborated by multiple other members, unstickies it, then denies it was ever stickied.
nedbert9

Activity: 252

Inactive

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 04:40:28 PM

Vendors don't need to be trolling on forums (doing it only once is irrelevant).  They have better things to do such as getting the f'ing product shipped to everyone - which is getting longer and longer.

Yes, vendors need to be held to a higher standard and yes it being stickied is exactly the right punishment for a vendor spending their spare time crapping on forums.
Vendor/company accounts should not be given all the forum rights, including trolling and flaming, that is granted with individual speech and they should be called out for it.

Honestly, BFL needs to get their own site up to snuff and handle all of their PR, concerns and FAQ there.  It's unprofessional that almost every bit of communication flows directly to this forum.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 04:59:56 PM

I don't believe Diablo to be a fit Mod.

See exhibit B:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91710.0

Stickies another trolling (self interest) thread, as corroborated by multiple other members, unstickies it, then denies it was ever stickied.

I think this was an accident. He unstickied it a few hours after he stickied it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 05:29:22 PM

Honestly, BFL needs to get their own site up to snuff and handle all of their PR, concerns and FAQ there.

They answered my PM about there Disclaimer & Terms and Conditions.

Quote from: BFL
Dear Grouver,

I understand your concerns with the fact that no disclaimer and policies is published yet. We're working on
it as we speak, and rest assured, it is and it will be customer friendly.

P_Shep (OP)
Legendary

This is not OK.

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:56:41 PM

Vendors don't need to be trolling on forums (doing it only once is irrelevant).  They have better things to do such as getting the f'ing product shipped to everyone - which is getting longer and longer.

Yes, vendors need to be held to a higher standard and yes it being stickied is exactly the right punishment for a vendor spending their spare time crapping on forums.
Vendor/company accounts should not be given all the forum rights, including trolling and flaming, that is granted with individual speech and they should be called out for it.

Diablo has a mining company. Does that not make him a vendor too?

Mod, vendor, troll.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: