Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:58:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: wikileaks "Bitcoins cannot be easily tracked back to you" WTF??  (Read 2953 times)
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:46:06 PM

ok so the address it's traceable. but trace to what? no isp no psychical address

That's the thing.  Transactions are always traceable.  They can be traceable to real world identities and sometimes they cannot be traceable to real world identities, and whether some transactions are traceable or not can depend on whether a person making a transaction wants them to be.  Do you even have that choice with the traditional banking system?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
malaimult

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:55:19 PM

with the banking system no. i was curious with btc since there is no info for the blockchain eg address: 837jsjre93ijas belongs to John Doe

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:05:52 AM

ok so the address it's traceable. but trace to what? no isp no psychical address
If you can trace it across many transactions, and several of those transactions have the same IP, it could be assumed that that IP is where the person is. Obviously this isn't always true, but it often can be.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:04:15 AM

Good luck tracing a tx to an ip...
doobadoo

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:05:34 AM

If you can trace it across many transactions, and several of those transactions have the same IP, it could be assumed that that IP is where the person is. Obviously this isn't always true, but it often can be.

I thought Ips weren't attached to txs...at least in the block chain.   my understanding is that the client echos other txs it hears from neighboring clients..and when it relays those txs, it 'sounds' the same as when a client originates the tx.  thus w/o active surveillance of the network (running dirty nodes) its tough to see where a tx may have originated.

There is also an option to route this traffic over TOR, in the next or the one after version, this TOR support is scheduled to include peer discovery and the ability to run all traffic thru a hidden service.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:20:53 AM

I thought Ips weren't attached to txs...at least in the block chain.   my understanding is that the client echos other txs it hears from neighboring clients..and when it relays those txs, it 'sounds' the same as when a client originates the tx.  thus w/o active surveillance of the network (running dirty nodes) its tough to see where a tx may have originated.

There is also an option to route this traffic over TOR, in the next or the one after version, this TOR support is scheduled to include peer discovery and the ability to run all traffic thru a hidden service.
It does relay all transactions, but you never know whether yours will be detected by a service that collects IPs first, or whether it will be relayed before it gets detected by such a service. Probably half of my transactions on blockchain.info show my IP, and the other half show random nodes that relayed my transactions first.

And yes, Tor will make IP correlation impossible, if used correctly.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 02:53:10 AM

It does relay all transactions, but you never know whether yours will be detected by a service that collects IPs first, or whether it will be relayed before it gets detected by such a service. Probably half of my transactions on blockchain.info show my IP, and the other half show random nodes that relayed my transactions first.

And yes, Tor will make IP correlation impossible, if used correctly.
Interesting... none of my transactions show my real IP.  Not that I'd really care if anyone found it anyway...
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 03:47:02 AM

It's not easy to to figure out which addresses belong to a given person. Case in point, I don't think it was ever done.

Bitcoins are ultimately untraceable provided the users cares to not reuse any of his addresses.
That's not true. The main problem isn't reusing addresses, it's merging outputs.

Correct.

See here for a tool that computes the list of addresses
that can be proved to belong to the same person:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88584.msg975907#msg975907
Cool. "Proven" should be taken with a grain of salt, as advanced Bitcoin usage (such as oblivious mixing) can involve transactions with multiple inputs which do not belong to the same person.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: