Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:59:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Bitcoin survey is ready to begin! [CLOSED]  (Read 2508 times)
unfinishe (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 07:15:29 PM

I just did it. So the results will be made public?

Yes. As soon as the results slow down (kind of like with popcorn popping), or my fund runs out (whichever comes first), I'll get to work compiling the results and putting them up, along with a raw version for anyone that wants to more in-depth analysis.

Check out the results from my Bitcoin Survey Project!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88927.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 07:32:16 PM

It's good you ask the participants to forward the link, but have you advertized on other forums? Perhaps bitcoincharts or other high-traffic sites could donate a banner space for a few days. This is for the common good anyway.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
unfinishe (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 08:02:48 PM

It's good you ask the participants to forward the link, but have you advertized on other forums?

I have posted a link on the Bitcoin subreddit (I have a semi-active account there), but not anywhere else. Though I'd like more people to take it, I'd rather not spam on sites that I don't actually participate on.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 08:16:58 PM

Yes, I'm only saving a hashed value of the e-mail addresses. (A repeatedly hashed value to be more precise. You can never be too paranoid. Cheesy)
How is this more secure?

Well, I'm not an security expert or anything, but as far as I know, there's no computationally easy way to reverse a hash function (let alone several times), so if anybody were to (somehow) get into my database, they wouldn't suddenly have a handy list of plain e-mail addresses they could use to spam with.

i think he meant 'how is more secure to hash repeatedly'? and the answer would be in the time it takes to brute force it.  eg. 1 hash vs 100,000.

by the way, i didn't do the survey because of google... just letting you know, i'd happily do one without such a restriction.
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 08:30:08 PM

It's also less reversible because the number of preimages of f^n is greater than or equal to the number of preimages of f only applied once. In other words, hash functions applied multiple times ultimately reach a fixpoint containing a bijection between a subset of the entire output domain. There is a trade-off however: collision is easier with f^(large_number), but reversing is harder. In realistically large modern hash functions, neither is easy... and we have no idea how to test whether a given hash value is on the fixpoint or not. Even finding a relatively small cycle would be significant.

-bgc

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
unfinishe (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 08:31:36 PM

by the way, i didn't do the survey because of google... just letting you know, i'd happily do one without such a restriction.

If I knew a better way to deter spam, I would use it instead.  Sad

Side note: We've passed the 100 responses mark!

chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 11:08:51 AM

I took it and shared it

unfinishe (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 01:30:35 PM

So, a lot of people have taken it so far, but I've gotten a lot of feedback, especially on the Reddit post, not liking the authentication procedure. I don't want to exclude people from the survey, so I'm thinking about modifying the app so you can access the survey with a one-time token from me.

Once I do this, then I suppose you can PM me and, as long as you're not a new account, I'll give you a token (should I still offer the Bitcents, though?) Does this sound like a reasonable solution?

unfinishe (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2012, 04:07:02 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2012, 04:45:45 PM by unfinishe

Ok, so I've implemented the token idea. If you want to take the survey, but haven't because you didn't want to authenticate through Google, just PM me and I'll send you a link. I really do want as many people as possible to be able to take it.

(P.S. 150 responses!)

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 07:55:11 PM

pm me a token please but be aware that I will not accurately answer questions about my balance and similar questions that i wouldn't answer publicly here neither.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 07:57:31 PM

That said, maybe you should take your survey on the next bitcoin conference where people know it is anonymous.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
unfinishe (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 02:48:21 AM

That said, maybe you should take your survey on the next bitcoin conference where people know it is anonymous.

That would actually be rather interesting, but someone else would have to run it because I'm just too darn broke to travel to a conference any time soon.  Undecided

(Update: 175 responses now. I was hoping for about 200, so I'm pretty happy, especially since this was honestly a pretty amateurish operation. If there aren't many more responses by tomorrow, I'll call it good and release the results!)

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2012, 10:26:09 AM

I forgot to mention one thing on the survey that I really think is important. Bitcoin obviates false authority. That is the major reason that I am involved with and learning about bitcoin. Please make a point to put that in the database somewhere.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
unfinishe (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 03:44:17 PM

Alright, so I've closed the survey now. Expect the results soon!

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: