Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:32:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When was the birth of Bitcoin?  (Read 2690 times)
Mr. Burns

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 09:14:27 PM

Okay, so I got a lot of clarity. 

The first block (block #0) was on Jan 3th, but then the second block (block #1) wasn't until Jan 9th. 

So can I assume it took 6 days to form the first block after genesis?  Or maybe there was a problem and so that was the delay?

It looks like after block #1 things were moving okay, so does anybody know the delay of 6 days? 

Did he turn his computer off or something and since he was the only miner then nobody found a block?

it's for entropy, for the < infinitie other versions of BTCitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 09:41:40 PM

The first block (block #0) was on Jan 3th, but then the second block (block #1) wasn't until Jan 9th. 

So can I assume it took 6 days to form the first block after genesis?  Or maybe there was a problem and so that was the delay?

It looks like after block #1 things were moving okay, so does anybody know the delay of 6 days? 

If I may engage in some semi-informed speculation...

The genesis block is hard coded into the SW, right? (right?). If so, it does not seem so surprising to me that SN had his first chance to start mining until several days after the bulk of the coding was done. Or maybe there were several test starts (or restarts), and what we now call block 1 was actually the first block of the last restart?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2014, 12:02:19 AM

The genesis block is hard coded into the SW, right? (right?).
Yep.
If so, it does not seem so surprising to me that SN had his first chance to start mining until several days after the bulk of the coding was done. Or maybe there were several test starts (or restarts), and what we now call block 1 was actually the first block of the last restart?
As a software developer myself, I agree that this is a highly likely scenario. "Oh, I found a bug, lemme fix it and retest" can be a long process, especially for a complicated multi-computer piece of software. So when he was nearly done and saw that very apropos headline in the newspaper, he decided to use it. After mining to find a nonce that worked, he could hardcode it and continue writing the rest of the app. There may have been earlier chains that were perfectly good, but were deleted from his test environments, etc. 6 days later, the chain that would be public was first mined.
rayhan

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

be your self

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 12:31:32 AM

When Satoshi was born, Bitcoin was born Smiley
lol
so if satoshi die bitcaoin also die Cheesy hha.. jk

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 04:02:40 AM

Misusing 'K' for 'Ki' has killed. It it a stupid pointless anachronism that must stop.
You and what army? A lot of people including myself have used KB as kilobyte as 1024 bytes and I'd rather it remain this way. Perhaps we should also start calling bytes octets, as that is the proper word.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
vm_mpn

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 02:18:44 PM

when did bitcoin get its first exchange listing?

I've tried to put it all here http://btcregistry.com if anybody interested...

There is also this site with the timeline of bitcoin: http://historyofbitcoin.org/

Love Historyofbitcoin.com site, but they've stopped updating their timeline a year ago. After using their iframe for a while I've basically stolen their idea, design and built my own timeline which I keep updating. My apology to History Of Bitcoin folks if they are still around.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 04:33:57 PM

Misusing 'K' for 'Ki' has killed. It it a stupid pointless anachronism that must stop.
You and what army? A lot of people including myself have used KB as kilobyte as 1024 bytes and I'd rather it remain this way. Perhaps we should also start calling bytes octets, as that is the proper word.

Me and what army? What is this, the elementary school playground?

I obviously do not have any authority to control your misuse of language. However, as I pointed out unthread, every standards organization - ANSI, BSI, ISO, NIST, IEC, ... Is united on this topic.

Byte vs. octet is completely different - there is no inherent ambiguity in that. Misusing SI prefixes for 2^(n*10) however is inherently ambiguous. As pointed out elsewhere, it gets worse as the units get greater. Not only does the deviation between 2^(n*10) and 10^(n*3) increase as n increases, but people start compounding the ambiguity (read that as stupidity) by doing things like using 'M' to mean 2^(n*10) * 10^(n*3).

Plus, as I mentioned before, this ambiguity has killed. Just stop before it kills again.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 07:33:44 PM

The first bitcoins were issued to Nakamoto in January 2009 but the first commercial transaction didn’t occur until May 2010.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 11:41:07 PM

Me and what army? What is this, the elementary school playground?

I obviously do not have any authority to control your misuse of language. However, as I pointed out unthread, every standards organization - ANSI, BSI, ISO, NIST, IEC, ... Is united on this topic.

Byte vs. octet is completely different - there is no inherent ambiguity in that. Misusing SI prefixes for 2^(n*10) however is inherently ambiguous. As pointed out elsewhere, it gets worse as the units get greater. Not only does the deviation between 2^(n*10) and 10^(n*3) increase as n increases, but people start compounding the ambiguity (read that as stupidity) by doing things like using 'M' to mean 2^(n*10) * 10^(n*3).

Plus, as I mentioned before, this ambiguity has killed. Just stop before it kills again.

my pet peeve is when people say "I could care less", when they should be saying "I couldn't care less"...but whattayagonnado

JBits

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 12:14:05 AM

Also, was Bitcoin the first blockchain?
The first *decentralised* blockchain.
February 11, 2009 was the birth of bitcoin.
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com/forum/topics/bitcoin-open-source?xg_source=activity
ajaxmoor
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 12:16:38 AM

i think the concept of blockchain was taken from someone handling accounts and having a CS background. He probably merged the idea to create the blockchain.
rayhan

Activity: 378

be your self

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 01:07:59 AM

The first *decentralised* blockchain.
February 11, 2009 was the birth of bitcoin.
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com/forum/topics/bitcoin-open-source?xg_source=activity
yeahh that the day probably bitcoin born

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: