Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:23:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Physical - CryptoVault - Cold Storage Coins  (Read 2269 times)
mycryptovault (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 02:42:57 PM

Trying to drum up some more interest to get our startjoin funded.  Coins will be sent out by: Lowest numbers go the the earliest supporters
I also have a running thread for questions/answers here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=877545.new#new

Help us fund our cold storage project on https://www.startjoin.com/cryptovault
99/100 of the Limited Edition 24k Gold plated coins remain (we think these will sell out fast)

•   Our product is offering you the most secure form of cold storage for all your crypto currency needs.  It consists of 2 copper / nickel alloy coins, our logo is on the front and there is a rectangular recession on the back to fit a printed copy of your private key.  What is also included in the kit is a piece of fire resistant paper http://youtu.be/7-OegkhGLVk .  You will print your private key on this paper, cut it out, fold it in half (printed side in) and place on the back of the coin.  We are also including 2 heat resistant / water resistant adhesive label that will secure the paper to the coin.

•   We are offering our kits which will include two coins, one sheet of the fire resistant paper, and two heat resistant / water resistant labels.  Each coin is individually numbered and no two coins ever produced will have the same numbers.  We offer the kit to you in this fashion to offer you the most variety with how you wish to securely store your keys.  In the safest method you would store your public key publicly and your private key on each of the two coins.  These two coins would then be stored in separate locations to prevent against loss due to theft or natural disaster. “Keep your public keys public, and keep your private keys private.”  The coins numbered to give you the option of recording the number to match a public key or currency type, ex. Coin number 499 is storing Bitcoin, while coin number 500 is storing Vertcoin.

•   CryptoVault is committed to helping keep the crypto coin economy strong.  As a company we are not converting all earnings to fiat.  We are actively trying to convert our vendors to accept bitcoin and we will be using bitcoin to buy supplies to fulfill orders once we achieve this.

•   We need your help in the crypto currency world to help get our startup up and running.  We have created a new product that fits the cold storage niche market.  We are offering a product that allows you to safely store your keys offline to prevent against loss to theft via hacking or physical hard drive failure.  Our product uses components that are flame or heat resistant and water resistant to help ensure maximum product life in the event of extreme heat or water damage.  By using two coins it also utilizes a redundant backup method to ensure that if one coin is damaged there will greater chance of the second coin being intact.  At no point does our company or employees see either your public or your private keys (not even in an encrypted format).  We want you to be in complete control of your cold storage and not have to trust any third parties.

A video testing the flame resistant paper http://youtu.be/7-OegkhGLVk

There were some fraudulent threads started by cryptovault, he was claiming to be "selling them now; black friday sale", beware; the only way to get these coins is through our startjoin!

"Analogue Security for a Digital World - Cold Storage Solutions for any Crypto-Currency"
www.mycryptovault.net

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 03:39:18 PM

I can vouch for the OP.  He sent me a free set of coins after another user scammed me and others.  I posted a short review on the other thread.

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 05:23:57 PM

Well done OP that's very good of you Smiley. Good luck with your sales.
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 05:48:02 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2014, 11:04:50 PM by snarlpill

These are awesome coins made by some genuinely amazing people! After getting scammed by the asshole posing as CryptoVault, the real crew was kind enough to reach out to me and send me a pair of their coins to help balance out my loss.

I think many of you guys on here who are into physical Bitcoins and other cryptos would really like them and enjoy adding them to your collection. I've been brainstorming some ideas with Kyle from CryptoVault, trying to think of ways they could both sell some on here And contribute the money towards their StartJoin. They are really committed to the idea of realizing their project goals and getting the fireproof labels and water/fire resistant stickers made- aiming to create one of the most secure cold storage crypto coins on the market, even though the coins themselves have already finished production. He also said they wanted to be as fair as possible to the people who had already contributed to the StartJoin, and I can definitely respect that.

It took me a few days, but I took some pictures of the coins and wrote out some detailed information and a review of them- I was going to post a thread in this very section to try and help them get some interest and support for their StartJoin fund. Unfortunately though I'm working everyday for a month straight, and with a young family I did not have time to fully finish the thread in time yet. When I get home though I will post my pictures and review in this thread. I was just blown away by their random act of kindness towards me, and genuinely liked the coins and thought it was a very cool & original idea, so I just want to help them out in anyway I can.

snarlpill

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 11:02:44 PM

Here are some pictures and a review as promised. Note that I am not a professional photographer.  Wink
Bithalo also took some nice pictures as mentioned, in the other CV thread.

Front of coin in the sealed plastic it comes in:

Front of the coin:

Front & back of coins with a CryptoVault business card:

First thing when I opened the little envelopes containing the coins, I saw that they were individually sealed in plastic. I like when coins are shipped like that, rather than in an airtight capsule. Getting your new coin in a capsule is great, but I like being able to hold the coin and get the feel of it first, and you can check it out just fine without touching it through the plastic. The next thing I noticed was the color, it is like a matte silver and looks great with the vault theme. The design on the front of the coin was great. The main feature is a spinning handle of a vault, representing their theme of keeping your crypto funds as safe as if they were locked in a vault or safe. It was drawn/designed well, looking at it you really get the impression of a vault or safe- as in someone who didn't know what it was supposed to be would not have to guess at what it was.
Filling up the background past the vault image are sequences of 1s and 0s, which I would assume represented binary code/the digital world. That is the main thing I wanted to capture in my pictures; CV has better pictures up there ^ but I really wanted to try and get a good close up of how finely done the numbers are. Finishing off the front you have the serial number of the coin which looks to be laser etched (?) into there.
Looking closely at the coins near an ample light source, I did not see any scrapes, nicks, or scuffs which is obv. a good thing especially to collectors.

The back of the coin has a small rectangular cutout for private keys, and the rest is flat and smooth like the backs of most crypto coins with holograms. They are still working on raising the funds to complete their coin kits with the fireproof labels + water/fire resistant stickers to go over your keys. I really liked their concept of the coins and they took it to another level with the safety measures, while most crypto coin makers focus on preventing counterfeiting and noticing once the funds have been spent. I don't know the full details of their labels & stickers but I did watch some of their fire/heat tests, and it looks like they held up pretty well in direct flame. Nobody ever expects to have a house fire or flooding, but those things do happen and it would be amazing if one of your CryptoVault coins made the difference in preventing a double devastation (loss of private keys & crypto savings after a house fire). CryptoVault posted one of their test videos in the OP but here are all 3 if you'd like to check them out: Test Video 1       Test Video 2         Test Video 3     
They mentioned the reason the kits come with 2 coins is so that you can ideally have your private keys in 2 separate locations, to minimize the chances of full loss occurring. That is always a good idea plus getting 2 coins for the price is a sweet deal.

I'm thinking about contributing to the StartJoin for some of the 24k gold plated coin kits when payday comes, and I would love to see them reach their funding goals to get the element proof labels & stickers with it. If nothing else, they could say they were the first to come out with "fireproof" cold storage crypto coins, which is a pretty cool idea. I think their coins will likely inspire & get other people thinking about next level security like that as well.
Even if the worst happened and they didn't reach their funding, I think the "vault" theme would still work great with a hologram or similar, as coins holding private keys made with secure processes can be one of the safest ways to store your BTC already. Since it is not designed to be denominated in any certain value or specific crypto coin, it would be great for any crypto you hold. I thought about the idea that you could even have, say, 1 Bitcoin private key under there, 1 Litecoin private key, and multiple currencies in general. It would be your general savings crypto vault coin.

Overall I really enjoy the design & future-thinking concept of these coins, and just wanted to say Thank You one more time to CV for such a random act of kindness and a good deed to make humanity seem better after getting robbed by a scammer. I'm excited to have another innovative crypto coin company to collect and use for secure cold storage, and I'm very excited to see what the future holds for this company!

-snarlpill

bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 11:15:26 PM

Great review snarlpill. 

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
mycryptovault (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2014, 11:39:09 PM

Thanks for the review!  You actually got some great pics of the binary in the background.

We have been into bitcoin and cryptos in general since 2012 and at the time I though the Casascius coins were the coolest thing I had ever laid my eyes upon.  Over time though I realized that the idea of a physical bitcoin or crypto in general should be less focused around the "spendability" or " proof of funds" the coin held and more on the fact that this is your bank account that is not backed by the fdic or anything other than your own security you put into it.  That is why we decided to not deal with customers keys at all and wanted to offer a coin that in theory could hold up to what might actually happen to where you would be storing this coin.  Worst case scenario you have a house fire or flood and your 10btc stored on this coin would be more secure than one on printer paper under a hologram.  The coin itself is an alloy to help be more heat resistant.  We have some other projects up our sleeves as well and are hoping that this coin can be the jumping point to really get things up and running.  We also wanted our coins to be crypto neutral so everyone would be able to store any digital currency on our coins without feeling odd that their litecoins are on a physical bitcoin.

Anyone have any questions or comments?

"Analogue Security for a Digital World - Cold Storage Solutions for any Crypto-Currency"
www.mycryptovault.net
snarlpill

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 01:38:36 AM

That's awesome man, good to hear you have a vested interest in Bitcoin and had the thought to maximize one's personal security for their funds. Like I said- I feel like you guys took this to another level with having protection for your Bitcoin (or other crypto) from not only hacking and online dangers but elements such as water and fire as well. There have been a lot of great crypto coin makers start out selling on Bitcointalk, such as the great Casascius himself. I wish your team the best of luck.

You asked for questions, here's a couple:

I saw on one of the fire test videos where you said you tested the labels at 600 degrees F for a period of time. Did you do tests with the complete product (coin + private key printed on label covered with sticker)? If so what are the details and how did it turn out?

Will the sticker that covers the private key have any design on it?

Great review snarlpill. 

Thanks man

mycryptovault (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 02:56:40 AM

Yes we tested on coin #500 (sorry coin), in a 600 degree oven (hot as it gets), for 2 hours.  It was then dropped in a bowl of water for 30 minutes to help cool it off and test the water resistance.  The outer label was still readable (had generic model number on it) and the adhesive was slitghtly goey, but still very secure.  Paper came out bright white (on the inside where the key would be) the outsides were very minimally yellowed.  The paper was not brittle and could be unfolded and the numbers could be read.  Our other test subject with a thin generic sticker and printer paper was 100% destroyed.  When we took the sticker off which was half disintegrated the paper inside was complete black ash and as soon as it was touched it broke apart into little pieces.  +1 for fire resistant paper / label combo.

As for the label, we do not yet have a design.  We are kicking around some ideas.  The labels come a satin silver as that is the color of the fire resistant material.  To keep costs down we were going to go with black text/image only.

*dont worry to all the people who want a the gold plated version, we are going to do a secondary thin embossed gold label to go over the fire resistant label, so it will look gold all around =)

www.mycryptovault.net
mycryptovault (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2014, 02:07:09 AM

We are at 3% funded with only 22 days left.  We need more support!

Any questions?

www.mycryptovault.net
mycryptovault (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2014, 01:42:54 PM

Anyone watch the video of the flame resistant paper?  What did you think!

www.mycryptovault.net
mycryptovault (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 10:15:45 PM

How flammable is your paper wallet?  Keep your coins secure with CryptoVault fire/water resistant paper and labels with our alloy coin sets!
https://www.startjoin.com/cryptovault

There is nothing on that wallet, fyi...

www.mycryptovault.net
mycryptovault (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 05:15:48 AM

Your paper wallet cant do this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-OegkhGLVk&feature=youtu.be
Our CryptoVault can...

www.mycryptovault.net
mycryptovault (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 01:06:29 AM

So only 13 days left to get your hands on some beautiful CryptoVault physical Cold Storage Coins.  Im starting to think the outlook does not look good unless there is some kind of BTC Mirical that happens =(  But hey tis the season so maybe we will get lucky.  Only 200 24k gold plated coins (100 sets) will be minted if we reach our goal so you could be one of the very few.  The alloy coins would be our ongoing collection.  I hope anyone interested in a very safe way to secure your crypto coins heads to our startjoin and pledges, every dollar counts!  Wish you all a safe and happy holidays!

-mycryptovault

www.mycryptovault.net
mycryptovault (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 12:57:30 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2014, 06:03:33 AM by mycryptovault

Only 4% funded, we need your help!  https://www.startjoin.com/cryptovault

www.mycryptovault.net
mycryptovault (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 06:02:43 AM

Hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday!  Our crowdfunding on startjoin ends on the 31st.  So if you have been thinking about our coins, head on over and get yourself the present you really wanted!
https://www.startjoin.com/cryptovault

www.mycryptovault.net
KingOfSports

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Acc bought - used solely for signature testing

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 06:05:19 AM

Gotta be honest - I've seen much more attractive cold storage coins produced here on the forums.

jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 07:12:41 AM

Will write up an article about this campaign over at CryptoArticles.com today and post back with the link when it's up, should hopefully get you some more attention Smiley
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 10:33:12 AM

As promised here is the article :

http://www.cryptoarticles.com/crypto-news/cryptovault-offers-heat-and-water-resistant-cold-storage-for-any-cryptocurrency

I will try to push out a rewrite to either BTCFeed or Bitcoinist as well Smiley
bithalo
Legendary

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 01:17:49 PM

As promised here is the article :

http://www.cryptoarticles.com/crypto-news/cryptovault-offers-heat-and-water-resistant-cold-storage-for-any-cryptocurrency

I will try to push out a rewrite to either BTCFeed or Bitcoinist as well Smiley

Very nice write up.  Hopefully it gives the startjoin project a push

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: