Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:41:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom Rigs... Hardware  (Read 2253 times)
tomsanders (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 08:38:51 PM

Having a look through the web and can never seem to find the answer to my question...

Looking at all the companies that create their own mining equipment like..spondoolies, ant miner etc... does anyone know where to purchase the blades on there own and use something like a raspberry pi to control a bank of 10 or something like that?

Anyone know?

Thanks Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SFMiner

Activity: 170

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 09:22:43 PM

Just a few questions so I can hopefully help you out and point you in the right direction.

1. Why do you want to build your own custom rig vs. buying one from Bitmain or Spondoolies?
2. How much are you looking to spend?
3. Where are you located? 

In my opinion there is very little benefit (aside from personal satisfaction, etc) to be had from reinventing the wheel at this point in the game.

tomsanders (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2014, 10:09:44 PM

Thanks for the reply, hopefully ive answered your questions good enough,

1. Why do you want to build your own custom rig vs. buying one from Bitmain or Spondoolies?

Personally i think for these companies to be in business they have to put some sort of mark up  for adding the components together and making these units pretty much plug and play.... I assume im correct in saying this?

Max £80k

UK

I currently have a lot of space/power left un used in a few of our cages around the UK so seems silly to not have 90% of the power used.

I hope this has given you enough information.

Many Thanks
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 12:54:19 AM

Thanks for the reply, hopefully ive answered your questions good enough,

Personally i think for these companies to be in business they have to put some sort of mark up  for adding the components together and making these units pretty much plug and play.... I assume im correct in saying this?

Max £80k

UK

I currently have a lot of space/power left un used in a few of our cages around the UK so seems silly to not have 90% of the power used.

I hope this has given you enough information.

Many Thanks

Really you cannot build cheaper then the companies they build in huge quantity.  Even if you spend hundred of thousands most likely you go to one of the big makers.

With 80 thousand I would go to a few companies and see if they offer a discount/how much. 

Make sure you not only have space/power but cooling.  If you truly buy 80 thousand worth of gear it will take some cooling.   Most likely a lot more then you have.
SFMiner

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 01:43:52 AM

That is a decent chunk of change!

In that case, my best recommendation is contacting Spondoolies and Bitmain directly, to see what kind of bulk discount they can offer.  I still don't think it's worth the time and effort to re-engineer the packaging on these miners; the majority of the cost is the chips and boards; you're getting a pretty good deal on the rest of the components.

At this point they both have Black Friday / Cyber Monday offers at around $0.41/GHS including shipping, so if you offer to buy a number of those, they may be able to knock off an extra few percent.  The nice thing about the S2 is that it's rack mountable, and includes its own power supply, so it's a little cheaper overall and quicker to set up.

If you miss out on the sales, I have over 100 coupons for $400 off S4s (as do most other Bitmain customers).  They expire on the 15th, so PM me if you're interested.

It might be worthwhile to start off with a few, test the waters, etc.

Another concern is power, as each S4 consumes about 1400W at the wall.  What is your cost/kwh?  I'm in Montreal, where it's only $.045 in some industrial spaces.

Cooling likely won't be as much of an issue assuming your data centers have high end cooling systems.

Let me know if I can help in any way, it's always good to meet people just starting out in the mining world!
tomsanders (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 08:11:29 AM

notlist3d

I appreciate this will produce alot of heat and i think i have got this covered by building a few custom rigs of fans, the cage has cold aisle so forcing nice cold air through to the back will hopefully help things.. As they say the proof is in the pudding! I will be keeping a close eye when they first boot up.

SFMiner

I agree its rather alot of money... But from reading around you need to put a small chunk in to get a decent ROI. I have had a look at the offers you detailed, what is your opinion on the better provider.. Spondoolies. or a S4?
I currently have a few SP10 running testing the waters and if they come back with the projected results then ill be jumping in with both feet!

As for power i will be using already un used power so the cost is pretty much 0. Which is great and will mean my ROI is alot quicker!

Thanks
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 09:25:08 AM

notlist3d

I appreciate this will produce alot of heat and i think i have got this covered by building a few custom rigs of fans, the cage has cold aisle so forcing nice cold air through to the back will hopefully help things.. As they say the proof is in the pudding! I will be keeping a close eye when they first boot up.

SFMiner

I agree its rather alot of money... But from reading around you need to put a small chunk in to get a decent ROI. I have had a look at the offers you detailed, what is your opinion on the better provider.. Spondoolies. or a S4?
I currently have a few SP10 running testing the waters and if they come back with the projected results then ill be jumping in with both feet!

As for power i will be using already un used power so the cost is pretty much 0. Which is great and will mean my ROI is alot quicker!

Thanks

Why don't you make more reliable money by offering to host colocated miners for people in the UK?

Seems that your company T K Group UK seems legit, plus there is a severe shortage of well priced miner colocation in the UK

If you can charge £50-60 per U per month then I think you would corner the market here.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
tomsanders (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 02:15:23 PM

Biffa

Thanks for taking the time and having a look at our website,

The reason I haven't thought about going down the route of colocated miners is due to the nature of our business we would not allow any other person other than a employee inside our racks/cage.

Unless your saying they send the item to our office and we rack it ourself.. Would this work?

Personally I would like to use some of it for our own purpose aswell... Always nice to see something working for your money!!

Thanks
Biffa
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 04:05:56 PM

Biffa

Thanks for taking the time and having a look at our website,

The reason I haven't thought about going down the route of colocated miners is due to the nature of our business we would not allow any other person other than a employee inside our racks/cage.

Unless your saying they send the item to our office and we rack it ourself.. Would this work?

Personally I would like to use some of it for our own purpose aswell... Always nice to see something working for your money!!

Thanks

Well seeing as most people in the UK who are colocating are sending it overseas they would be used to not physically being onsite. So sending them to you for racking shouldn't be a problem.

Can't see a problem with you mining with your own kit, unless you run out of capacity theres no reason why you can't do both. But there you are, at least you have options now Smiley

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
tomsanders (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 06:44:58 PM

I am very tempted with the thought of renting out or space for colo. We are always being offered half price deals if we extend the foot print of our current cages so this may be a feasible option but on the other hand I don't think I would be in the position to throw money at someone to design me a website just for colo. I would probably only advertise on forums like this and see what happens.

clubsofsteel

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 06:45:50 PM

i can buy a 10 pack of rigs from the pharmacy for $3

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:23:27 PM

i can buy a 10 pack of rigs from the pharmacy for $3
thanks - but while you are busy shooting up your comment is useless to the conversation

...and those rigs are not 'custom'

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:31:04 PM

Unless you want to build your own asic, hardware, software.  It is better to buy in bulk from the current manufacturers.  It is true you can make more if you do it yourself but revinventing the wheel will probably be in the millions, and have MOQ's in the 1000s.  On the plus side you will have a multi petahash farm when your done assuming you can provide a datacenter for all this equipment to live.

I am sure there is a point where ordering from Bitmain, Spondoolies, etc etc is adding to the overhead but I am sure you wont beat their pricing for hardware till you basically start your own company or partner with one.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
tomsanders (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:33:14 PM

thanks - but while you are busy shooting up your comment is useless to the conversation

[/quote]

If they are not custom where can you buy the bare bones to create the units yourself?

Thanks
pak13

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:35:44 PM

As mentioned by one of the large suppliers recently, they are operating at very very low overheads currently. When bitcoin was over US$600, it wasn't too difficult to manufacturer and research. If the price drops further, only those that have had a recent surge and funding (spondoolies), will come out ahead. They are all however operating on slim margins as it stands. Reason why none of the big chip players have jumped into the game.
Biffa
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2014, 12:52:35 AM

If they are not custom where can you buy the bare bones to create the units yourself?

Thanks
[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure if you understand, companies like Spondoolies and Bitmain and ASICMINER (AM) design and build their own blades using their own chips that they have paid millions of dollars to be fabricated. They then place them into the cases that you and I can buy, some with PSU some without, some in handy rackmount formfactors and some not so handy.

The only one who has sold the blades before to build your own kit is ASICMiner run by a guy called friedcat. Now he sells the "blades" and his designs for the finished units, to a few companies and he also sells the "finished" units direct, I say "finished" because they are just blades with an aluminium frame.

I'm not sure what the situation is with AM now that they have distributors and other system resellers using their tech, but I imagine if you wave enough cash you will get some interest, although whether 80K is enough I don't know.

Bitmain I am pretty sure won't sell your their bare blades. Although I could be wrong.. Smiley

Spondoolies, no idea, best to just ask them. The Sp20 blades should be pretty easy to put into your own rig design.

SFMiner

View Profile
December 10, 2014, 06:19:29 PM

I just saw this today, and if friedcat is able to produce workable blades, these will be the most efficient miners on the market. 

I would suggest contacting him to find out details like cost/timeline/board size/design, controller requirements, power requirements, etc. 

Pretty nice specs anyway!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=888260.msg9794133#msg9794133

Bitkoinzz

Activity: 218

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 02:33:05 AM

I just saw this today, and if friedcat is able to produce workable blades, these will be the most efficient miners on the market. 

I would suggest contacting him to find out details like cost/timeline/board size/design, controller requirements, power requirements, etc. 

Pretty nice specs anyway!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=888260.msg9794133#msg9794133

Wow thanks SFMiner. That is big news.

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 03:47:19 AM

No mining hardware at this stage is going to recoup it's investment. We're looking at a semi-flat growth period until 16nm is released and once 16nm is out there will be another difficulty climb. Once the 16nm difficulty climb starts your existing hardware will be worthless.

and, Unless you're paying less than like 0.08 or 0.09 per KWH USD it's cheaper to pay someone else to host them. I expect hosting prices to drop further to an average of around 0.05-0.06 per KWH. That is, companies offering hosting for those rates.

Your money is better invested elsewhere. If you're looking for ideas, feel free to send me a PM.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2014, 08:14:16 PM

No mining hardware at this stage is going to recoup it's investment. We're looking at a semi-flat growth period until 16nm is released and once 16nm is out there will be another difficulty climb. Once the 16nm difficulty climb starts your existing hardware will be worthless.

and, Unless you're paying less than like 0.08 or 0.09 per KWH USD it's cheaper to pay someone else to host them. I expect hosting prices to drop further to an average of around 0.05-0.06 per KWH. That is, companies offering hosting for those rates.

Your money is better invested elsewhere. If you're looking for ideas, feel free to send me a PM.

I agree with this, I would only mine as a hobby if I was you.. That is what I do. 

I'd consider putting a buy up at $300 USD it would seem we will touch that again.
tomsanders (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2014, 08:13:29 AM

With willing to spend 80k you should research much much more into it if you're asking if it's cheaper to plug and play the components because you're going to lose a LOT of money if you don't look deeper.

In the sense of looking deeper could you expand on that, the reason I'm on this forum is to do research.. So any information would be great.

Cheers
ProudMiner

Activity: 134

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 04:27:33 PM

I know that you buy "bare" prisma blades from ASICMINER, also bitcrane sells blades http://www.bitcrane.com/ASIC
and http://technobit.eu/

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: